Simplicity 1722 All comments and suggetions welcome

Discussions about general sewing

Simplicity 1722 All comments and suggetions welcome

Postby Luzenia » October 4th, 2017, 2:52 pm

Jamie will probably be having surgery in the next month or so to remove the goiter on her thyroid. The goiter has started to interfere with her eating and breathing so it is time to remove it. The last few times that Jamie has been in the hospital I have been very frustrated with the hospital gowns swimming on her so I have decided to make her a few that fit. We went to JoAnn's and Hobby Lobby to find some fabric that Jamie liked and to get a pattern to modify. I found Simplicity 1722 it is described as a Lounge Dress or Top and Pants. It has a Peasant neckline with raglan sleeves.
My plan is to raise the neckline by about 1 inch. I plan to split the raglan sleeve in half and add 1 1/4" on each side so I can put snaps down the sleeve so it can be opened for easy on and off. I will add about 5-6" to the back of the top and leave it open so the overlap will cover the backside. I will gather the neckline to a piece of bias instead of putting the elastic in so the neckline will be in 3 pieces and snap together down the top of the sleeve I will make the length so it will hit at knee level. I will leave an opening in the waist side seam to allow the twill tape tie to pass through. I got the Babyville Botique snaps to use so that there won't be any problem with metal when having MRI, Cat Scan or X-rays done. Any and all comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Luzenia
Luzenia

Re: Simplicity 1722 All comments and suggetions welcome

Postby Karens Krafts » October 4th, 2017, 4:02 pm

I can see in my minds eye just what you have in mind. Sounds like it will work great, but what a lot of work. After that first one they should go quick and easy, but adding, and changing the first one sounds like a challenge, but one you seem to have all lined up. We’ll be waiting to hear how it goes. No suggestions here, your plan sounds very good. I’m not real clear how you are going to do the back. A-line to overlap? Sounds like a lot of bulk if you have that much to overlap at the neck.
Karen
Karens Krafts

Postby Rosieq » October 4th, 2017, 6:16 pm

I think you covered all your bases!! In my minds eye, I was trying to equate the snap openings in relationship to our mammogram capes. But now as I'm writing, I'm concerned about the extra layer of gathers in the back...around the neckline for comfort when she lays on a double layer in that neckline. Could you just gather one side of the back and leave the other side of the back just more A-lined.

Just my thoughts...and I know you are saying, Huh?? :)
Linda

Life is a garden, Good friends are the flowers,
And times spent together, Life's happiest hours.....

http://pinterest.com/intherosegarden/
http://www.linda-thisnthatintherosegarden.blogspot.com/
Rosieq

Postby Luzenia » October 4th, 2017, 8:20 pm

Linda and Karen, I will fold out some of the fullness then when I trace off the pattern to make the muslin I will redraw and true up the cutting line. I may reconsider how much I add to the back for the overlap. I have not done the flat pattern measurements on the original pattern as of yet so we will see exactly how much fullness I can take out or add and still keep the backside covered.

Luzenia
Luzenia

Postby niener » October 5th, 2017, 6:22 am

Luzenia, I know you have a great plan already, but did you know that Laurie Anderson has a pattern for hospital gowns on her site, Southern Stitches? It is a maternity gown for expectant moms going to delivery, but I would think you could adjust for that. Just a thought that maybe you could view her pictures and figure out the changes you will want to make on your pattern. http://www.southern-stitches.com/epatterns.php , scroll to the bottom to see the pattern and video.
Jerry

A smile is a light in the window of your face to show your heart is at home.
Anonymous
niener

Postby jsm » October 5th, 2017, 6:34 am

Jamie will love her special gowns, especially since she helped select the fabrics!

Why do you feel it necessary to raise the neckline? I looked at the pattern online, and did not think the neckline was that low for a gown. I do not recall much about the hospital gowns, when I had my thyroid surgery a few years ago. I mostly remember my throbbing headache, extremely sore neck and chest, and the nurse insisting I get up and use the restroom. She was relentless! I was only in the hospital for about a day and half. I did not have any peasant style gowns or tops, but do remember finally resorting to mostly oversize soft v-neck tee shirts. Anything higher rubbed my incision, and the tender area surrounding it.

Her incision to remove a goiter may be different from mine to remove the entire thyroid. Mine is fairly low on my neck, just above the collarbone. There was not much of a bandage, once I left the hospital. Within a few days, I was instructed to use a special cream and massage the area several times daily. Lower necklines helped reach the area, and did not get soiled with the cream. Even with massaging, I still had problems with scar tissue forming which had to later be removed. I still have tightness in my throat, and am not comfortable with some higher necklines or heavy bulky clothing near that area.

You know Jamie best, and have probably already thought through all this! Let us know when her surgery is, so we may keep all of you in our thoughts and prayers.
Jan M.
jsm

Postby Luzenia » October 5th, 2017, 8:14 am

Jerry, I did look at Laurie's gown when I was researching free patterns for hospital gowns. I felt that since Jamie is so small that I would be better off trying to find a non-empire style gown pattern. Jamie is only 4'7' and she measures a girls size 12 for bust, hips and waist and a girls size 10 for length. I also looked at the Lazy Girl free pattern for both adult and childrens free gown pattern but I am currently out of ink in the printer plus with the number of pages for the pattern (26) it was less expensive and time consuming to purchase the Simplicity pattern at Hobby Lobby for .99.
Jan, I thought that by raising the neckline I could taper the raglan design and remove some of the fullness. Plus by using the bias instead of elastic I think the fullness will be more toward the center front than at the sleeve area. I don't plan on putting the bound opening on the front left chest for the cardiac monitor leads to pass through since the nurses usually just let the leads go through the neckline. My concern is for making sure that the sleeves are able to open fully on the shoulder and down to the hem for easy on, off with an IV site. I am not sure how extensive the surgery is going to be. The goiter is made up of many fluid filled cyst . It is called a colloidal cyst goiter and on both sides of the neck with the left side to midline being between the size of a tennis ball and a baseball and is located about the adams apple area. The appt. with the Dr. is in two weeks so I need to get busy with it.

Luzenia
Luzenia

Postby nonie » October 5th, 2017, 8:53 am

After spending many weeks in a hospital gown :( what you make will be wonderful and comfortable. Those gowns in the hospital are horrible.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby jsm » October 5th, 2017, 1:05 pm

Thanks for explaining it further, Luzenia. I am sure you know what will work best for Jamie! I agree the bound neckline will allow you to distribute fullness where it works best for her situation.

My incision ended up being larger than expected. My thyroid had branched, twisting all around my vocal chords and filling other cavities in my throat. Surgery was longer and more extensive than expected. My surgeon described it as one of the most nasty and strange thyroids he had ever seen. I never do anything halfway! :)

I underwent several surgeries during that time period. I think it was my thyroid surgery I woke up, finding a gown just lying on top of me. Not sure what happened there, and probably best I don't know!

I never realized how tiny Jamie is! I was a little surprised when I saw the pattern was a girl's size. I also looked online for alternatives, but decided your choice might be easier.

I pray both Jamie's surgery and recovery will be easy, and know she will be comfy in your gowns!
Jan M.
jsm

Postby Luzenia » October 5th, 2017, 8:07 pm

Yes Jan, Jamie is little for her age. Most people think that she is 12-13 years old when they first meet her and she is now 26. When I buy shorts or pants for her I buy a girls size 14 so that they will come up high enough and loose enough to cover her diaper, with pants I usually have to cut off about 3 inches in length and for t- shirts I usually get a juniors 3 or ladies x-small to be long enough to hit at hip level.

Luzenia
Luzenia

Return to General Sewing