Button Up shirt Sew Along-- New Look 6232

Let's chat about everything sewing.

Button Up shirt Sew Along-- New Look 6232

Postby nana judy » September 30th, 2013, 6:04 am

First Off as a disclaimer let me say that by offering to lead this sew along do I think I am an authority of any sort. So many of you are much better seamstresses than I am but I have made a few shirts by this pattern. I am more than happy to share anything I know and hope this encourages someone who doesn't sew for them selves to give it a try.
Anyone feel free to contribute any helpful advice and ask any questions you want and feel free to ask questions.

Day One:
Today is mostly prep but necessary.
Prepare and trim pattern-- Select the size you want to make. I start with a size 2 sizes larger than my RTW size. I have found over years that this almost always works for me. Measure yourself and compare those measurements to the measurements that corresponds to that particular size on the back of the pattern envelope. You can also measure the pattern pieces subtracting the seam allowances to compare the measurements . Just remember to allow for ease.

Layout your pattern on your fabric and cut out your shirt just like any other garment you might make. Mark your pocket placement and front and back darts. I use a different pocket than the one in the pattern because I already had a template for it.

Cut the interfacing for the interfacing for the pattern pieces requiring interfacing and fuse if using fusible interfacing-- Collar, collar stand(one), Front bands(two), and cuffs(two). I vary from the pattern here and cut the interfacing only to the fold line on the front bands. Most patterns do it this way and you should get a crisper fold by doing it that way.
When I cut my interfacing I trim away a little on the edges out of the seam allowance. On the interfacing for the collar and cuffs trim off the points. You will get a nicer point when you press.

OPTIONAL: I use cardstock to cut a template for my Pocket and sleeve placket. Trace your pocket pattern. Trim odd the seam allowance and to the fold line at the top of the pocket. Do this also for the top portion of the sleeve placket with the. It will be easier to press under those little seam allowances. I also have a sheet of cardstock that I have drawn 5/8, 1/2 and 1/4 inch lines on to use as a guide for pressing under seam allowances. To me this is a time saver rather than picking up and laying down a seam gauge but it is intirely up to you if you want to do this.

Here is a pic of the sleeve placket. The area marked in red is the area to use to cut the template. I didn't feel like I explained. That well.
Last edited by nana judy on October 7th, 2013, 3:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
nana judy

Re: Button Up shirt Sew Along-- New Look 6232

Postby Rosieq » September 30th, 2013, 8:09 am

Thank you! You have certainly boosted my learning or remembering curve all ready! And, I love the strip with the various lines for turning or trimming.

So yes ladies, this sew along will work with a different pattern.

If you lived next door, I'd be running over with a rose from my bushes for you. :flosmilie:
Life is a garden, Good friends are the flowers,
And times spent together, Life's happiest hours.....

http://pinterest.com/intherosegarden/
http://www.linda-thisnthatintherosegarden.blogspot.com/
Rosieq

Postby Karens Krafts » September 30th, 2013, 8:54 am

Judy, already you've taught me things I would not have thought of. I thought I had enough White Kona cotton to make the shirt, but I'm short 3/4 yd, so will not be able to sew-along. I will certainly be doing this when I get home. And I'll be posting here at that time. Now until then, I'll just read, learn, and not fill this sew-along with my chatter. Thank you SO MUCH for doing this for me.
Last edited by Karens Krafts on September 30th, 2013, 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Karens Krafts

Postby genniewren » September 30th, 2013, 8:57 am

Karen, you could make your shirt with short sleeves!
genniewren

Postby suep » September 30th, 2013, 9:12 am

Judy, what a great lesson. I am going to adapt these ideas into my shirt pattern. I cannot participate since I don't have your pattern, but I will follow along and learn. When I get back to the States in January, I will look for that pattern. I have a Simplicity that I found in August, and I am working on sizing issues with it. I have made a medium, but need to go to a small - I think. The pattern is huge. I wish they had a standard for sizing patterns.
suep

Postby angelalee511 » September 30th, 2013, 9:54 am

Genine, you are a life saver!! I too am short yardage on my fabric, and I bet using short sleeves will solve that little problem.

I cut my pattern yesterday but have not sized it yet. I'm afraid! :rotflo: :rotflo:
angelalee511

Postby nonie » September 30th, 2013, 10:04 am

Great tutorial--thank you so much for this.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby nana judy » September 30th, 2013, 11:53 am

Ladies, yall are too sweet.

Sue, you can use a different pattern. That is no problem. I already made my shirt so I could take some pics along the way and I'm using a different pattern this week and so is Linda. Please join us.
nana judy

Postby suep » September 30th, 2013, 12:26 pm

Okay!!! I will get started tomorrow. I am wanting to make some shirts for Christmas embroidery designs. Can't wait to use my new embroidery designs. Can we embellish the shirts? I haven't been able to get into ES for a while now so I don't know too much.
suep

Postby nana judy » September 30th, 2013, 12:40 pm

Glad you are gong to join in ,Sue. Yes, feel free to embellish. I am thinking of dong a monogram on the one I am doing this week. The plan is for the sew along to last 7 days and the shirt should be finished in that time. I have tried to spread things out so if someone gets behind they can catch up and some will sew a little slower or faster than others.
nana judy

Postby Rosieq » September 30th, 2013, 1:05 pm

Monogram protocol....ok, this lil ol northern Midwest gal had a blouse monogrammed perhaps as late as 1960. Now I would love to do this again. If I choose just to use an L, do I merely center on the pocket and use a two inch monogram. If I choose an ordinary monogram, lTr, does it go above the pocket, centered or to one side, and what size font. Jerry, the Queen of monograms, where are you?

Rosieq

Postby nana judy » September 30th, 2013, 1:33 pm

http://www.embroideryarts.com/resource/ ... amming.php

Check out this link and see if this helps for the monogram placement.
nana judy

Postby Rosieq » September 30th, 2013, 1:52 pm

Thanks, Judy...good read!

Rosieq

Postby angelalee511 » September 30th, 2013, 1:54 pm

All my pattern pieces are cut. I didn't have time to pre-measure the pattern, and that may be a mistake later. It's just really hard during the week to get everything done. If it doesn't fit, I'm giving it to my neighbor, and I'll fit it to her. :rotflo: I think my biggest challenge will be my sway back. These cotton shirts never look good on me. I always look pregnant. :rotflo:

Thank you Judy! I'm very excited about this sew along!
angelalee511

Postby nana judy » September 30th, 2013, 2:02 pm

Angela, this is a link to a tutorial on sway back adjustment for this type shirt. I have never used it but you can look at it. I only do a sway back adjustment on pants. You always wear the shirt cinched with a belt.

http://poppykettle.com/2013/05/
nana judy

Next

Return to On Topic Talk