Using a topper

Machine Embroidery

Moderator: ShirleyC

nonie

Using a topper

Post by nonie »

Do you recommend using a topper on your embroidery on all projects not just the ones with nap?
ShirleyC

Re: Using a topper

Post by ShirleyC »

I use it on everything I put a name or monogram on especially the knit shirts. On towels, I usually put tulle and Sulky Solvy on top so the needle won't get caught in the tulle.
Shirley Clark
North Louisiana!
KathyD

Post by KathyD »

I use it on towels, velveteen & corduroy. Sometimes I'll use it on a knit - it does help with appliqués so that the scissors doesn't accidentally cut into the t-shirt when trimming away appliqué fabric.

Kathy
Angela

Post by Angela »

I typically only use it on anything with a nap. I have not tried it on knit fabric but may have to try as I have cut into the fabric on more than one occasion.
Angela Lee
Pooler, GA
janmoore

Post by janmoore »

I used to use it only napped fabrics and knits. But, I started using it more on monograms or designs with wider areas of satin stitch. It did seem to really help. I also use it if the fabric is rather loosely woven, as in some dish towels.
Linda in Iowa

Post by Linda in Iowa »

I use a lot of topper….the only thing I don’t use it on are my Aunt Martha flour sack towels. Those I use a heavy spray starch on a couple times and iron before embroidering. If it is a light stitch, I may not even use a stabilizer on the back. Tee shirts, yes, I use a back stabilizer and a topper. Heavy stitching gets more stabilizer on the back. Lighter weight tea towels get a stabilizer and a topper regardless of stitch.