Sourdough Starter

Post by Judy S »

Sourdough Starter
1 envelope yeast
1 cup warm water
3/4 cup sugar
4 tablespoons instant mashed potato flakes
stir together in a glass bowl or measuring cup and cover with a kitchen
towel and leave sitting on counter 24 hours.( I don't usually wait 24 hours. I make it at night and then make the dough the next morning.)
Store in refrigerator for 3-5 days. On 4th day use or discard 1 cup and feed remainder with 3/4 cup sugar, 3 tablespoons potato flakes and 1 cup warm water. Stir and let set out all day or overnight. refrigerate in a jar with a lid that has holes in it.

Sourdough bread
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup veg or canola oil
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 cup starter
6 cups bread flour
Mix all ingredients except flour in a large bowl . Stir in flour. put in a well oiled bowl and turn to coat all sides. Cover with a kitchen towel and let sit for about 8 hours( could probably use when doubled but I wait 8 hours). When dough has risen make into loaves of bread, Roll and cut into rolls or make cinnamon rolls.I usually make rolls or cinnamon rolls or a mixture of the two. I bake the rolls just until done and when cool I freeze in gallon bags. As I need them I take what I need and put on a pan in the oven and bake at 350-375 until thawed and browned. They turn out delicious.
I am freezing a few of the un iced cinnamom rolls now to try browning and thawing the way I do the rolls for cinnamon rolls. I have never done this before so I am anxious to see how they work
To ice the cinnamon rolls I just use confectioner sugar made into a glaze by adding milk 1 spoonful at a time and a little vanilla to the consistency of cake frosting.. I ice them hot from the oven and the glaze just melts and runs all over them. YUM
Have a blessed day,
Judy
nonie

Re: Sourdough Starter

Post by nonie »

Thank you. I miss making bread.