Left over bread

Let's get cooking. You can't sew on an empty tummy
nonie

Left over bread

Post by nonie »

Jan has a leftover bread problem. Actually, so do I, milk is another problem but let's do the bread first :D

Looking for good recipes and suggestions for using up bread, so you can still make your own sandwiches.
I dry bread slices and make bread crumbs. Dry bread cubes for crouton or stuffing.
Bread pudding, French toast.
Angela

Re: Left over bread

Post by Angela »

You can also grind it and use it for topping a casserole.
Angela Lee
Pooler, GA
janmoore

Post by janmoore »

I love French toast, and have thought about that. Except, there are the eggs. It would take me forever to go through a dozen eggs. I can sometimes buy half dozen cartons, but not always, lately. On mornings I work, it is a quick cup of yogurt. I also have to walk a dog and water roses -- no time for breakfast. Guess I could eat breakfast for dinner on some evenings.

Nonie, I gave up on milk, also. I do not drink milk. Tom drank a glass every morning, and sometimes at night. I used to put it on my cereal for breakfast. But, they quit making the cereal I liked, and I have not found another. I cannot use a quart of milk, before it spoils. There used to be small bottles of milk. Now, the smallest I can find is a quart. I bought some when I was making something for the holidays. I ended up pouring most of it down the drain. It is too expensive to do that now.
Angela

Post by Angela »

Nonie, I use almond milk in place of regular milk. Works just as well.
Angela Lee
Pooler, GA
nonie

Post by nonie »

I am wondering about other alternatives like powdered milk and how that might work,for my smoothies and Steves protein drinks. On the food network they are using more canned milk instead of cream. Just need things with a long shelf life.
NancyFigur

Post by NancyFigur »

We get organic milk in a three pak of half gallons in Costco. The thing is the expiration date is usually two months out. Even if we throw one half gallon away we are still saving money. Usually we just give one of the containers to MK and Zach. We were always having spoiled milk before. I have no idea why it lasts so much longer than regular milk but it really does.

Sometimes with Costco we save money even if we don't need that big a package. When I can I like to just give the excess to one of the kids.
Angela

Post by Angela »

The almond milk in my fridge expires in August 2022. We bought it last week. We go through a gallon a week. I use it in my protein shakes every morning and in granola when I want cereal.
Angela Lee
Pooler, GA
nonie

Post by nonie »

Angela, that is a great shelf life, I will check it out for sure. There has been times we have gone through two gallons in a week, all depends on if Steve will drink his protein drinks.
ShirleyC

Post by ShirleyC »

I try to use the bread and not waste, but with the regular name brand breads, we seldom get them here that's really fresh. I went back to buying the Artisan bread. They come in smaller loaves, last longer, and are big enough that most times one piece will do. Plus it just tastes good!

I use almond milk, and mostly Almond Breeze unsweetened 30 calories a cup. Like others said, it lasts a long time. I have never had any to spoil. I use it for recipes too if needed. I eat cereal several times a week because it's just easy, but I've always liked cereal.
Shirley Clark
North Louisiana!
Angela

Post by Angela »

Shirley, I can't drink Almond Breeze. It has gluten! I have to use Silk, but I think the unsweetened has about the same calories. Rob buys the artisan bread for Robbie too. It just tastes better.
Angela Lee
Pooler, GA