Hi from Maryland!

Welcome to the forum. Please share your sewing and a little about yourself
Barbara Rose

Hi from Maryland!

Post by Barbara Rose »

My name is Barbara and I was so happy to see a registry for this forum after such a long time without response. I check everyday and today there was a response!! I visited the "old" forum daily but did not post (everyone seemed to be old friends and I hesitated to intrude) but so many of you became very important to me. I celebrated your successes, shed tears with you and prayed with and for you. I was sad when the forum disappeared but continued to check daily. I have been sewing since I was 8 (I'm a young 77 years old and have been married to my best friend for 58 years). My first love is heirloom sewing but children today don't wear those garments long...if at all. I love sewing for little girls and enjoy incorporating machine embroidery. I enjoy smocking and shadow embroidery. My grandchildren are grown and right now I don't have any greats to sew for...but my DGS married in April so I have hope!! I sew on a Brother Dream machine, with back-up Viking and Bernina sewing only (mechanical) machines. I have a Baby Lock Enlighten serger and a Brother 6-needle embroidery machine. I received an Accu-Quilt for Christmas last year (2018)...guess the kids want quilts...and I am trying to like quilting, but it's so repetitious. I'm not very good at it so far but I will persevere for awhile and hope I learn to like it. I look forward to visiting and sharing. I hope many of the former forum participants will return...I look forward to hearing from you.
Angela

Re: Hi from Maryland!

Post by Angela »

Welcome Barbara. We had some technical issues with the old forum that couldn't be resolved. So Nonie started the new one. And we look forward to seeing your creations.
Angela Lee
Pooler, GA
KathyD

Post by KathyD »

Hi Barbara - I'm also thrilled to see the forum live again!!! I do hope you'll post regularly!

Kathy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Barbara, so glad you are here. We had to start over and what seemed t be a bad thing, has worked out to be a blessing.
NancyFigur

Post by NancyFigur »

Hi Barbara, Please jump right in and it is good you are familiar with lots of the regular posters. Nancy
NancyFigur

Post by NancyFigur »

Hi,
Nancy Figur from Oceanport, New Jersey which is a few minutes from the beach and still about 45 minutes into New York City. I have four children, 3 girls and 1 boy, six grand-daughters (one set of identical twins, one set of fraternal twins and a set of Irish twins) none of whom wear heirloom type clothes but occasionally I sew for them. My main sewing is making Christening gowns from wedding gowns. I started by accident when a friend of my daughters asked me if I could do it. That started it all and eventually I opened an Etsy shop just to keep things professional (WellBlessedBaby). Now I have so many referrals I don't put much in my shop and just keep doing work for prior families.
My other sewing and something I have been doing for over 30 years is being a costumer for musical theater productions. Some years I might do five shows and other years only two. It is so much fun to be part of the production team for high school musicals. Over the years I moved into leadership and became the Producer of the shows in addition. Now I work with my youngest daughter who is the Director at her high school. What a joy it is to work for the person who started coming to rehearsals with me when she was two. My husband of 48 years is a really good sport about me being gone a lot when it is show time as I am when it is golf time.

I found this site when my oldest wanted pillowcase dresses for her twins. I did a search and it led me here. That was about ten years ago and I treasure the people I met on this site. The only one I have met in person is Linda from Bermuda who wound up being next door neighbors with my daughter who also lives in Bermuda. What a fun day that was to meet in person. But, because we haven't all met doesn't make the people here seem any less dear friends.
JerryR

Post by JerryR »

I am SO glad to see our forum back! I have missed it so much. I'm definitely not a Facebook person!
Before, my board name was niener. I decided I would just go with my name this go-round, so I'm JerryR now. I found Everything Sewing Forum when I was trying to learn heirloom sewing techniques and how to smock when my first grandchild was born in 2005. She will be turning 15 next month, and I'm having a hard time processing that. She and her little brother grew up on me, but the Lord blessed us with five more littles. One grandaughter who will be 5 next month, and her three year old quadruplet siblings, two girls and two boys. I have sewn more heirloom in the past 3 years than I ever thought I would in a lifetime! For the first two years of the quadruplets' lives, I outfited all five for weddings. The first year I made one flower girl heirloom, and five wedding reception heirlooms that matched. The second year, I made three flower girl and two ring bearer heirloom garments as all five were in the wedding. Of course there were Baptismal Gowns, slips, bonnets, and garment bags for all five, then Christmas, Easter, and portrait garments for all five. We are already talking about Easter garments now. So if you need me, I'm usually chained to my sewing machine! I also get to enjoy monogramming or adding names or appliques to shirts or dresses for the Fab Five. My embroidery machine is not quite as active since they all wear school uniforms, but one girl in particular has specific likes and dislikes which include her name or monogram on EVERYTHING! The boys are just about done with heirloom at 3, but I will still have a few years for the girls. It's great to be back!! Thank you, Nonie!!!
Barbara Rose

Post by Barbara Rose »

Oh, Nonie, Angela, Kathy and Nancy...I'm so glad to see you here. I'm hoping many of the others will return. I guess I should be more adventurous about facebook, but I just don't go there. I have really missed you.

Barbara
Barbara Rose

Post by Barbara Rose »

And Jerry!! You are one of my idols! I have swooned over the beautiful garments you have made for the Fab 5 and I look forward to seeing many more. (We must have been posting at similar times cause you appeared after I last posted.) Today is a very good day!!

Barbara
ShirleyC

Post by ShirleyC »

Hi Barbara!
I'm glad you found us. We've been on FB since the forum crashed, and here's the link in case you lose us again. It's a private group.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/405400843372193/
Shirley Clark
North Louisiana!