Help!! need pintuck help

Discussions about general sewing

Help!! need pintuck help

Postby nonie » January 3rd, 2018, 1:07 pm

I have made pintucks for a long time but this time for some reason, they are not working. I do a few stitches and the threads tangle up at the needle. I have gotten out the book, followed instructions and still they do not want to make nice neat pintucks. all advise and help welcome.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Re: Help!! need pintuck help

Postby niener » January 3rd, 2018, 1:52 pm

Nonie, my machine has a little slot on each side of the needle bar so that I can put one thread on the right side and one on the left side of the needle. On the left side is the last station for threading before threading the needle. On the right side I omit the next to last bar the thread would ordinarily pass through and just slip it through that slot. That keeps the threads separated somehow. Are you using the 2.0 or smaller double needle?
Jerry

A smile is a light in the window of your face to show your heart is at home.
Anonymous
niener

Postby angelalee511 » January 3rd, 2018, 1:57 pm

Nonie on our machines when you come up and around to thread, you have to put the right thread to the right and the left thread to the left. If they are going down the same slot, it will tangle. I haven't tried it yet, but that's what they told me when I bought my machine.
angelalee511

Postby angelalee511 » January 3rd, 2018, 2:07 pm

angelalee511

Postby nonie » January 3rd, 2018, 2:44 pm

Thank you, I will try again. Angela, I cant watch the video until my laptop gets back from the shop but thank you.
I had such great plans :rotflo:
Yes, Jerry I am using a 2.0 needle. I can't remember having problems before but then I was using an Elna. I think Angela is right the machine we use is a little different.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby angelalee511 » January 4th, 2018, 5:15 am

You also have to go into the settings and set the needle for twin needle. Just be sure when you come up that first "wrap" that you put one thread to the right and one to the left before you go down and around the second wrap. Let me know if it works.
angelalee511

Postby nonie » January 4th, 2018, 8:11 am

Thank you, the last row of stitches went better. Not perfect yet but better. Your help is so appreciated. I need to spend some time relearning.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby nonie » January 5th, 2018, 12:03 pm

Pintucking seems to be a tad bit better, now my tension is horrible, the bobbin thread is so tight I can pull it right out :( refuse to give up :sewing:
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby angelalee511 » January 8th, 2018, 4:10 am

Nonie, I'll try mine when I get home today and see if I can help that way. I don't think I've tried my twin needle on this machine. You shouldn't have to adjust any tension.
angelalee511

Postby nonie » January 8th, 2018, 11:16 am

Thank you Angela, this will really help.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby Bunbun5 » January 16th, 2018, 2:21 pm

I agree with Angela. Are you using any sort of stabilizer underneath? I always do and don't have problems.
Follow my sewing adventure at http://lasewist.blogspot.com/
"You get what you get and you don't get upset."...Carly Petersen
Bunbun5

Postby KathyD » January 17th, 2018, 5:43 am

I assume you are talking about twin needle pintucks? Everything seems to make a difference when you make twin needle pintucks. Use 60 wt. thread (Mettler/Metrosene) or if that isn't available, the DMC 50 wt. thread also works well. I believe that Aurofil also makes a 50 wt. thread that many are now finding to work very well for heirloom sewing.

Thread your machine with the 2 different threads passing through on either side of the tension discs - you don't want them to go through on the same side unless you cannot get to both sides of the tension discs on your machine (I forget which brand this is a problem with). If you are using a 2.0 needle, then the 5 groove pintuck foot works best. Some machines will have a little "bar" that centers in front of the machine to help raise the tuck, other machines do not. You can always scotch tape a toothpick or coffee stir stick in front of your machine for the same effect. Some machines will have a special setting for twin needles - if yours has that, it needs to be engaged.

Every machine is different. Some machines require that you SLIGHTLY loosen the upper tension, some you tighten. I find on my machine that I slightly loosen the upper tension and SLIGHTLY (1/8 turn) tighten the bobbin tension in order to get a pretty pintuck. I do not recommend any starch on the fabric, though I know that some find just a hint of starch helps.

Shorten your stitch length to 2.0 or even 1.8 - see which you like best and/or which performs best.

If your thread is tangling, it could be that it is coming off the spool incorrectly. Cross wound threads (the ones that have the shape of an x, such as the Mettler/Metrosene 60 wt. thread) need to come off the spool horizontally. Stacked thread (dual duty brand) typically comes off the spool best if it is placed on a vertical spool pin.

I do not use any stabilizer. Stabilizer stabilizes fabrics, thus preventing puckering and/or tucks. However, if Bunny has had success with it, I'd give that a try if you still aren't having success.

You really have to do some practicing to see how your machine will perform best. Once you get it figured out, write down everything - thread weight used (I recommend 60 wt.), tension settings, starch or no starch, fabric used (these things change with every fabric). Keep the sample piece with notes in a notebook so that you won't have to go through this again each time. Also, if you've had your machine serviced since you last made pintucks, that can change the results ever so slightly. My dealer sets the tension for all purpose weight (40 wt.) sewing thread and I need it slightly less for using 60 wt. thread.

If all else fails, each a piece of delicious chocolate and then make corded pintucks! :rotflo: Equally pretty and if your other pintucks aren't working for you, these will be less frustrating. :)

Kathy
KathyD

Postby nonie » January 17th, 2018, 2:18 pm

Thank you. I do not for some reason have the 'little bar', so will have to try taping something in front of the presser foot.
Angela, I re-watched the video and she said it doesn't matter if those thread tangle :noidea: Just going to take some practice I think. thank you for your help, I will master this!! :frusty:
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Return to General Sewing