Apron

A place to share what we are working on or hope to be working on.

Moderator: ShirleyC

KathyD

Apron

Post by KathyD »

Our next project at the sewing school will be an apron. It is supposed to be a "Japanese Cross Over Apron". I wanted to make one up before we teach it and our director M had sent me the instructions. As always, they were really bad and missing necessary information. :roll: I found some fabulous coffee themed fabric and asked the other director J if I could take it and make an apron for our coffee lady at the ministry. She said yes.

Once home, I realized that they hadn't sent me the pattern, so on Friday I went back and cut out the apron at the sewing school. Nobody is in sewing class on Fridays, including the directors. I had to find the pattern. It was a slight modification on a free pattern available. I chose the size L because I think that will be the right size. When I went to cut out, I realized that there was no seam allowance mentioned. You also finish the outside edge with bias tape, but again, no mention of size or "how" you attach it. I texted M for answers, but didn't get a response. Grrr!!! I searched the free pattern, found their directions and used those to finish up the apron.

I found a few other errors in the instructions. Ugh! I'm sure that I'll eventually be asked to write them up.

Anyway, I did finish the pattern up and it's cute. I think the fit will be "off". the way that they enlarged the pattern doesn't seem quite right to me. Oh well, it's an apron. I do like how it turned out, other than that. Hopefully, if our coffee lady wears it, I'll be able to see if it fits or not. I left it in a gift bag at the coffee station yesterday. She should find it this morning. :)
IMG_6472smaller.jpg
IMG_6472smaller.jpg (192.26 KiB) Viewed 25117 times
Kathy
KarenVA

Re: Apron

Post by KarenVA »

It's really cute, Kathy! I like to make those with lining and then turn them right side out instead of using bias binding on the edges.
Hugs, Karen
nonie

Post by nonie »

I use the Mary Mulari pattern for the crossover and line it like Karen does. I am sure you will be asked to write up instructions on making this project.
KathyD

Post by KathyD »

Thanks ladies! If it were me, I'd definitely line it. I don't know why they aren't doing that unless it is to conserve fabric. We have lots of donated fabric that is 1 - 2 yards. This takes more than that and with lining, that would be doubled. Maybe they want the ladies to learn how to use bias? Who knows. I'm not in the know right now. :P

Kathy
ShirleyC

Post by ShirleyC »

It's really cute! I bet she loves it.
Shirley Clark
North Louisiana!
nonie

Post by nonie »

Kathy it is still a very cute apron and that would be a lot of bias practice :D
Angela

Post by Angela »

I love it! I am sure Nathalie will love it too!

Cross over aprons can be tricky for new sewers and I would suspect even more challenging when they are lined. Maybe they were trying to make it a little easier.
Angela Lee
Pooler, GA
janmoore

Post by janmoore »

Perfect fabric and apron for the coffee lady! Fingers crossed it fits!

I was thinking bias finishing for learning purposes. As you said, who knows???

You and I always seem to end up correcting things, at work and sewing school. Hope you enjoyed a glass of wine on your porch, afterwards!