Valances for new nursery

Discussion about interior decorating

Valances for new nursery

Postby niener » September 25th, 2016, 6:47 pm

Our son sent us pictures today of the valances I made for the new nursery. They are nothing to compare to Angela's beautiful valances, but these were what they asked for. :D There is a small pillow made from the same fabric in the rocker in the corner. Behind the valances, installed within the window casing, are black out pleated shades. Once those shades are lowered, it is black dark in that room! But it is such a cheery room in the daytime with the natural light coming in from the east and south. That's a full nursery, right? :lol: I thought the boys would have the same Jenny Lind cribs, but apparently they were able to borrow one Jenny Lind, and one sleigh bed. The iron beds on the far wall will be for the girls. And the bit of butcher block seen in the foreground is a wonderful changing table/dresser their other grandfather made from kitchen cabinet bases with the butcher block top. Two changing pads can fit on top and there are lots of drawers and open shelves behind doors below.

Here you can see the valances are mounted on a 1x6. I had the box pleats pinned in place on each end to train them to hang that way after pressing. Looks like above the shipping didn't disturb the hang of them! They had just gotten them hung, so they had not even been steamed in those pictures yet. The front window is wider than the end window, but fortunately, the measurements allowed the pattern to be the same start/finish on each one. Yay!
Jerry

A smile is a light in the window of your face to show your heart is at home.
Anonymous
niener

Re: Valances for new nursery

Postby Rosieq » September 25th, 2016, 7:54 pm

Jerry, beautiful valances for your babes! What a bedroom ... Just full of beds! It will be wonderful when it is full of babes!

Prayers continue for that little family and includes your little princess! Linda
Linda

Life is a garden, Good friends are the flowers,
And times spent together, Life's happiest hours.....

http://pinterest.com/intherosegarden/
http://www.linda-thisnthatintherosegarden.blogspot.com/
Rosieq

Postby angelalee511 » September 26th, 2016, 3:02 am

Jerry, those are fantastic! You did a great job and the pleats are perfect. I love the pattern. How on earth did you ship those? I'm assuming they had to be mounted to the board once they got there? That room will be full before long. Eagerly waiting with you for the arrivals of those precious babies.
angelalee511

Postby KathyD » September 26th, 2016, 3:55 am

They look wonderful!!! The nursery is so pretty - ready for those sweet babies to fill it up! :D

Kathy
KathyD

Postby niener » September 26th, 2016, 8:42 am

Thank you, sweet ladies!! Angela, no, they were shipped already mounted. If you remember, I had to send the valances for the first nursery as well, though a precious friend offered to deliver them for us in the back of her Tahoe. I learned then that if you lay the valance right side down and then allow the mounting board to flip down onto the lining, that sort of helps to permanently crease the top so that the valance hangs well. Once the board is flat on top of the lining, then I do like wrapping a present - push in the box pleat at a 45° angle, then let the back lay straight against the flat side of the valance and continue to flip the board until the valance is one long 6" wide x whatever length the board is. I loosely tie ribbon at each end and in the middle. Hubby took the valances and the pillow to FedEx and they built a box for them to ship them. $$$$
Last edited by niener on September 27th, 2016, 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry

Anonymous
niener

Postby redheadednanna » September 26th, 2016, 11:38 am

Jerry - I'm really embarrassed to admit that I am way behind in your current events. I know about your precious Seiley but why are there 3 baby beds in this beautiful nursery? I'm glad that you can't see my blushing face! BTW your valences are just beautiful -- so professional in appearance!
redheadednanna

Postby Karens Krafts » September 26th, 2016, 3:44 pm

The valances are just beautiful! I can see you sitting in that chair holding one after another of those babies. Oh how envious I am of that.
Karen
Karens Krafts

Postby niener » September 26th, 2016, 7:39 pm

redheadednanna wrote:Jerry - I'm really embarrassed to admit that I am way behind in your current events. I know about your precious Seiley but why are there 3 baby beds in this beautiful nursery? I'm glad that you can't see my blushing face! BTW your valences are just beautiful -- so professional in appearance!

Sharon, go to the Beautiful Doll section to read all about it!
Jerry

Anonymous
niener

Postby nana judy » September 26th, 2016, 8:20 pm

Jerry, the valances are so pretty. You do wonderful work.
Judy
nana judy

Postby jsm » September 27th, 2016, 7:40 am

They are perfect!! Not that we would expect anything less from you and Ashleigh! The two of you make the perfect design team. :)

While I love seeing photographs of the gorgeous valances, it is the sight of those four little cribs that really make my heart go pitter patter!! I cannot wait to see them filled with squirming healthy little bodies in a few weeks!!!

The little dumplings will grow up knowing and appreciating their grandmother's sewing skills from the safe and loving surroundings of their sweet nursery! Thanks for sharing the joy!
Jan M.
jsm

Postby nonie » September 27th, 2016, 11:17 am

The valances are so pretty and perfect for a room full of cribs. A perfect nursery for precious babies,
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby grammynan » September 27th, 2016, 4:36 pm

Jerry the valances are perfection!!! I love all the Jenny Lind cribs in the room. When I babysat Cara, almost 18 yrs. ago, we bought a Jenny Lind changing table for our dining room. That thing got a ton of use after the other 3 girls were born.

Nancy
grammynan

Return to Interior Decorating