Fabric Storage Boxes

Discussion about interior decorating

Fabric Storage Boxes

Postby angelalee511 » July 15th, 2015, 8:05 am

This is one of three boxes I made for baby Gray's nursery. Ann (my friend) found this piece of fabric and asked me to do "something" with it. It was too small for pillows but just right for fabric boxes.
DSC_0320.JPG
DSC_0320.JPG (140.37 KiB) Viewed 709 times

I found the tutorial for these boxes here. http://www.makeit-loveit.com/2014/04/fabric-storage-basket-with-handles.html. The only thing I would do differently is to use something other than decor bond interfacing to make these stiffer. She likes the floppy look, so they are perfect for her. But if I make them for me, I would use this tutorial instead. http://www.makeit-loveit.com/2011/09/fabric-storage-boxes-per-your-request.html.

The instructions called for grommets, but she wanted to handles. These were easy enough, but I stitched them on after the box was a box and should have been done flat. But I got them on!
DSC_0323.JPG
DSC_0323.JPG (156.4 KiB) Viewed 709 times

I like how she just folds over the top to make a hem. So much easier than trying to bind or trying to turn it through a small opening.
DSC_0324.JPG
DSC_0324.JPG (127.06 KiB) Viewed 709 times

I also went around all the edges and pressed them well to get a really boxy look.

I really would have like to have done something like this. http://www.sew4home.com/projects/storage-solutions/you-asked-4-it-structured-fabric-baskets, but they are a little girly. I think these would look great in my sewing space. If I get some free time.

I am thinking about doing some for Christmas gifts this year. I am already behind the 8 ball on Christmas this year.
angelalee511

Re: Fabric Storage Boxes

Postby nonie » July 15th, 2015, 8:11 am

So I found what might be your Christmas sewing :D You find the best 'stuff' to make!!
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby KathyD » July 15th, 2015, 8:54 am

The box looks great! When I made boxes for Lauren's college room, I interfaced them as well as used plastic canvas between the lining and fashion fabric. No way did I "turn" anything on ours - I set the lining inside the fashion fabric and edge stitched around - worked great. Maybe that will work for you next ones.

I think you've made the perfect "boyish" box!

Kathy
KathyD

Postby angelalee511 » July 15th, 2015, 9:38 am

I love yours too Kathy!
angelalee511

Postby Rosieq » July 15th, 2015, 10:33 am

I love all of your baskets, Angie and Karen! So nice. Regarding turning, I like to leave that bottom of the liner mostly open; stick in a couple layers of plastic canvas or Peltex, cardboard, or a piece of clear acrylic to serve as a firm base, then slip stitch it closed. That way you can unstitch easily and wash the bag. I find the acrylic adds a lot of weight, so I prefer one of the others.

Nice work, and a good idea for Christmas.we are on that monthly countdown by now. Sad, that makes summer disappear faster!

Linda
Linda

Life is a garden, Good friends are the flowers,
And times spent together, Life's happiest hours.....

http://pinterest.com/intherosegarden/
http://www.linda-thisnthatintherosegarden.blogspot.com/
Rosieq

Postby jsm » July 16th, 2015, 6:53 am

Angela and Kathy, those are great fabric boxes!

Like Rosie, and one of the linked tutorials, I cover a piece of plastic canvas for the bottom. I used to do that for the bottom of tote bags I made, to keep the bottom from drooping. It really helps with the boxes, too.

I tried the plastic canvas for the sides, but found it difficult to stitch the top binding. The tutorial made it look so easy and neat. It just did not work for me. I had better luck using Soft and Stable, as an interfacing. It is more expensive, but it saved my sanity and broken machine needles. I also liked the boxes could be washed and dried with Soft and Stable. Both a local quilting store and machine dealer carry it, and I have been able to purchase when they have store wide sales or coupons. http://www.byannie.com/shop/category/by ... AoVD8P8HAQ

One word of caution with the plastic canvas. If you need to trim it, to obtain a certain size, it is best to make sure your cuts are at the intersections of the grids. I have even taken an emery board and filed down the little "pokies", especially with some of the stiffer varieties. It can rub against the fabric and poke holes, depending upon how much wear the fabric/tote/box receives.

Jan M.
jsm

Postby angelalee511 » July 16th, 2015, 7:05 am

Jan, we don't have soft and stable around here, so I have gone to a local automobile upholstery supply place and picked up a type of foam that is very similar and works just as well. I used it in a travel bag I made for Britt (from Annie's Craftsy class). I actually thought about getting more for her tote bags she wants.
angelalee511

Postby nonie » July 16th, 2015, 10:14 am

Great tips on putting these boxes together. Kathy, the monogram really is very pretty.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Return to Interior Decorating