DIY Bulletin Board

Discussion about interior decorating

DIY Bulletin Board

Postby angelalee511 » January 27th, 2015, 10:43 am

Wasn't sure which topic to put this in. :)

IMG_2667.JPG
IMG_2667.JPG (92.38 KiB) Viewed 630 times

IMG_2669.JPG
IMG_2669.JPG (111.24 KiB) Viewed 630 times

I found the frame on Craigslist and painted it black. It has a mat too. I only used it, because I have one small section that my cork was cut too small. I had to cover it. I may go in and fix that later, since I'm not certain I like the added black. It makes it look overpowering. I could always change out the mat. I've also thought of just stenciling some red or white on the mat. I also want to add a wooden A painted red and stick it on one of the frame corners. Gotta have a little flare. :wink:

I hung this right over my desk in my office, and managed to get all those fly away papers off my desk and my computer monitor. I had stickies all over it. :rotflo:

I made a few mistakes on this and know what to do in the future to correct. Larger boards are harder to get right. It really needs some heavy backing to keep it from pushing away from the frame when sticking in pins. I want one in my sewing room too, so I'll make all the corrections then. For now, this one is just fine.
angelalee511

Re: DIY Bulletin Board

Postby NancyF » January 27th, 2015, 12:10 pm

I love it. It is very similar to what we have but our background is covered in a linen fabric that is almost burlap but not as rough.

I have no idea what is behind mine but I would like to know. I have a feeling it might be a piece of thin sheetrock because that is what it feels like when you stick the pins in.

Here is a picture of ours. I don't have too many full shots because it usually is full of stuff only we want to see - like coloring pages done by the kids.

This was the day of youngest dds wedding and of course I had cleared it off quite a bit because of the wedding. Now it is full to the edges of Christmas Card pictures and drawings that the kids make me.

I think you have inspired me to make a smaller one in my sewing room. It is just what I need. I never thought of buying a frame and painting it. The one on our wall is molding screwed right into the wall somehow.

Great job.

Nancy F.
Attachments
bulletin board 157 (2) (640x427).jpg
bulletin board 157 (2) (640x427).jpg (214.5 KiB) Viewed 625 times
NancyF

Postby KathyD » January 27th, 2015, 12:37 pm

That's so pretty Angela! I think you did a great job! I would put some foam core board behind your cork board (in framing section) - that may be thick enough to keep the cork from moving - if not, put 2 foam boards behind it - you can pin into that as well, so it won't hurt anything. :)

Kathy
KathyD

Postby niener » January 27th, 2015, 8:07 pm

Angela, that is so attractive! I have one of those "French Country" type pin boards right over my sewing machine. The intent was to pin my instruction sheet to it, but I filled it up with pictures of Charlie instead. LOL

I think I've seen people use Homasote for this type board. It would seem quite a lot like sheetrock, yet not nearly so hard. I think it comes in 1/2" thicknesses.
Jerry

A smile is a light in the window of your face to show your heart is at home.
Anonymous
niener

Postby angelalee511 » January 28th, 2015, 4:00 am

Thank you all. Nancy, your stays put because it's nailed to the wall. That's actually a great idea. I made mine so I could change out the fabric if I got tired of it. :rotflo: I love the picture! The girls dresses are beautiful and so are they. And two sets of twins?!? Wow! I'm sure you've mentioned it before, but it just sunk in. :rotflo:

Kathy, it has corrugated plastic behind the cork. Then I used duct tape to hold it all in place even though it sits in there pretty snugly. It's just when you start pushing those pins in that it gives. I think next time I'll use some 1/4" shoe molding in strips across the entire back inside the frame then use another one across the top and bottom and staple it in place. I'm hoping that will hold it in without adding much weight.

Jerry, I've never heard of Homasote. I'll have to go look at it. It sounds like that could work too.
angelalee511

Postby nana judy » January 28th, 2015, 6:00 am

Angela, i love it. It is so pretty. You did a great job.

Nancy, i love yours too. That is such a unique idea for behind a couch. The girls are all adorable.
Judy
nana judy

Postby jsm » January 28th, 2015, 9:51 am

Looks great! You did a great job!

I have made a couple of these, The one in my sewing room is also black and white. I used an old cork bulletin board that had definitely seen better days. I covered it with some thin batting, and black and white toile that matches my window valances. I criss crossed 1/4" ribbon on mine, making a grid to hold things, instead of using pins. The problem is it seems too easy to just stick things up there, even when there is not a pin or tack handy! I really need to sort through, and probably dispose of a few things.

When BessieMary was open, I made a much larger one, using an empty purchased frame. I did use foam board covered with fabric, since I could not find cork in larger sizes. I posted photos of new patterns and smocking plates as they arrived. Over time, I found the foam board did not "heal" as well as cork or other surfaces might. There were some places where pins or tacks did not hold, if lots of things had been pinned in that area previously.

Enjoy your new board and newly cleared desk! :)
Jan M.
jsm

Return to Interior Decorating