Preliminary Pictures of Drapery Panels and Valances

Discussion about interior decorating

Preliminary Pictures of Drapery Panels and Valances

Postby niener » January 17th, 2015, 3:14 pm

The valances will be mounted on a 1 x 6 piece of board for a "cornice" look, but the whole thing will hang loosely over the pinch pleated drapery panels. This will cover the two windows in the nursery.

This shows both sets of draperies with the valances laid over top with the side panels of the valances laid out.

This is how the valance should look when mounted. In this picture, you can see the picture I was going by to make the valances.

And last is one of the sets with a valance folded at the box pleat.
Jerry

A smile is a light in the window of your face to show your heart is at home.
Anonymous
niener

Re: Preliminary Pictures of Drapery Panels and Valances

Postby nana judy » January 17th, 2015, 3:17 pm

Jerry, these are really pretty and it is so easy to tell that you have done a ton of work. I know they will be pleased. You captured the look of the window treatments in the picture dead on. Great job. My hat is off to you because I don't think I ever could/would do these and you have done them to perfection.
Judy
nana judy

Postby nonie » January 17th, 2015, 4:39 pm

Wow! you are amazing, those are fantastic and just like the picture you had to go by. Just blown away here.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby Rosieq » January 17th, 2015, 5:31 pm

Absolutely the best! What awesome work with the mitered corners and making that trim just perfect!
Linda

Life is a garden, Good friends are the flowers,
And times spent together, Life's happiest hours.....

http://pinterest.com/intherosegarden/
http://www.linda-thisnthatintherosegarden.blogspot.com/
Rosieq

Postby KathyD » January 17th, 2015, 5:40 pm

Those look fabulous!!! Once they are hanging, they will certainly look like the custom made draperies that they are! What a job. :shock: Honestly, I often think that kids have no idea what they are asking us to do. :roll: I hope that the crib skirt goes together much more quickly and with less frustration.

Kathy
KathyD

Postby grammynan » January 17th, 2015, 9:17 pm

OH MY GOODNESS! My hats off to you Jerry. You duplicated those draperies magnificently. I totally agree with Kathy's statement. I can hear my kids now.......can you whip this up Mom?

You certainly out did yourself this time. Those are beautiful.

Nancy
grammynan

Postby pinecone » January 17th, 2015, 9:38 pm

They are beautiful and I love the mitered corners on the trim. I hope they get many years of use.

KathyD wrote: Honestly, I often think that kids have no idea what they are asking us to do.

So true, Kathy. I made a seat cushion for a nook in my daughter's kitchen that zippered to make it easy to take off the foam to wash and a valance to match. A friend of hers liked them and wanted me to sew some for her. I told her that they were a labor of love and thanks for the compliment.

piney
pinecone

Postby jsm » January 18th, 2015, 2:01 pm

Jerry, I do really love how elegant and sophisticated these are! You did a fantastic job. Actually, they are probably better than some "professionally" made, and they definitely were made with a whole lot more love. I am sure they will be greatly appreciated. That style will grow with the child, and your hard work will be treasured for years. I think that is what I love the most!

Jan M.
jsm

Postby angelalee511 » January 19th, 2015, 5:44 am

They are beautiful Jerry, and I really hope she can appreciate the work and love that went into making these!
angelalee511

Postby NancyF » January 19th, 2015, 10:54 am

I agree with Jan, I was thinking the same thing. These window treatments could be used in almost any room for any age. That makes all the work more worth the time. If these were made of some nursery print then you know their use would be limited. These promise to be around for many many years to come.

Nancy F.
NancyF

Postby KarenVA » January 19th, 2015, 11:28 am

I love your home, Jerry!! And, you did a great job on the drapes and valances!!
KarenVA
"We cannot do great things, we can only do little things with great love." Mother Teresa
KarenVA

Postby Jenny Jo » January 19th, 2015, 12:33 pm

Jerry, they are absolutely fabulous! That box pleat is just wonderful! And I agree with everyone; your DS and DIL will get good use out of these for YEARS.
Jenny Jo
Jenny Jo

Postby niener » January 19th, 2015, 11:14 pm

Thank you all so very much. This has been a project that has taught me a lot of new things. I'm sure that I didn't use the exactly perfect techniques the professionals do, but I tried to have everything look as nice as I possibly could with my limited knowledge. My friend Peggy sent me home from her workroom the day I visited her with buckram, drapery pins, and drapery weights. I wish I had thought to try to find some more weights at Hancock's or Joann's to use in the crib skirt. But it will probably hang ok with the box pleats it has.

Tomorrow I will need to tack the pinch pleats at the bottoms, try to coax the fabric of the panels into their pleats and then tie them together to set them. Hubby and I will mount the valances on the 1x6 boards, and then we will call this project D.O.N.E. You know, "stick a fork in it"! :rotflo: I appreciate the private messages and the posts here on the forum offering suggestions and advice. You all really don't know how much I appreciate your help and encouragement.
Jerry

Anonymous
niener

Postby niener » January 23rd, 2015, 1:10 pm

KarenVA wrote:I love your home, Jerry!! And, you did a great job on the drapes and valances!!

Thanks so much, Karen. We have now lived here 20 years and it is past time to freshen up and update. But there are so many things I love about this place that I can't figure out how I would do that. :P I keep seeing that the Pantone color of the year is Madeira, which is a "wine-y" red color, just a shade darker than our dining room walls. I have loved our red since it was first painted on the walls 20 years ago. It has a blue base rather than yellow, so it doesn't ever read orange at all. But the thing I love MOST about my dining room is the little walk-in closet in the corner. You can't see it in these pictures, but it is to the left of the chairs on the left side of the sideboard. It is lined in shelves on two sides and all our china, crystal, and serving pieces are on them. On the third wall is a rack with dowels for my table cloths to hang over. It is small - about the size of a small walk-in pantry, but it is just wonderful!!

Thankfully all the furniture is back in place and the house is now out of drapery workroom status! Yippee!!
Jerry

Anonymous
niener

Postby Bunbun5 » January 25th, 2015, 2:59 pm

These are such a labor oflove, Jerry. The details of the "key" are amazing and you certainly pulled ths off beautifully. Only downside? You may be asked to do a lot more! :)

I had a friend with a formal dining room and a closet in it. It was wonderful. She hung her tablecloths in there, all pressed and ready to go, crystal and such on the shelves, etc. It was lovely to open that door as I am sure yours is.
Follow my sewing adventure at http://lasewist.blogspot.com/
"You get what you get and you don't get upset."...Carly Petersen
Bunbun5

Return to Interior Decorating