Bolster Pillow

Discussion about interior decorating

Bolster Pillow

Postby angelalee511 » November 10th, 2014, 8:33 am

This is my first official bolster pillow. You all know how the first one went using the Pi method! This time I measured the circumference of the pillow and used that. It worked quite well thank you very much! Who needs Pi??

Most of the ones that I have seen done have an exposed zipper. It is covered somewhat by the way it's installed. However, once it's stuffed, it kind of separates, and you can see it. I didn't think an invisible zipper would work, so I opted to make a lapped zip. It didn't create too much bulk in the seam and worked out rather well.

It was so hard to get perfectly straight circles despite my best efforts. I think in the future I may interface the circle portion to see if it holds its shape better. The other issue is the pillow insert. The measurements on it were off. One circle measured 10" while the other was 11". I used 10" thinking the other side would just be stuffed in tighter. I thought if I had chosen the larger size, the smaller one would have been floppy. I think it's affecting the shape of my cover.

IMG_2345.JPG
IMG_2345.JPG (54.32 KiB) Viewed 893 times
Attachments
IMG_2344.JPG
IMG_2344.JPG (55.13 KiB) Viewed 893 times
IMG_2343.JPG
IMG_2343.JPG (54.24 KiB) Viewed 893 times
angelalee511

Re: Bolster Pillow

Postby KathyD » November 10th, 2014, 8:52 am

That turned out so nice! I also like the lapped zipper for some applications. Yours looks great!

Kathy
KathyD

Postby Rosieq » November 10th, 2014, 8:55 am

I think using a heavy interfacing will give you the stability. It seems with a circle, you have a continuos bias cut giving you a lot of stretch there.

If you can remember which piece was on top when you joined circle to case, try it the other way. I know when I sew the drunkards patch or any circles quilting it makes a difference whether concave or convex is on top. I just experiment, don't do it enough to know for sure.....I could google for you. It looks like the arc is on the top. And, your curves will need clipped. You will want to pin at the strategic quarters, and perhaps at eighths...but really not many more. pins serve to get in the way. If you google, make sure the pictures are beautiful....quilters have as many or more who know "the right way, it's quick...who cares if it is correct people" as in the fashion world. I hope this is right...as I say I always experiment first....my brain gets backwards on some of these things.

Linda
Linda

Life is a garden, Good friends are the flowers,
And times spent together, Life's happiest hours.....

http://pinterest.com/intherosegarden/
http://www.linda-thisnthatintherosegarden.blogspot.com/
Rosieq

Postby angelalee511 » November 10th, 2014, 10:39 am

Thank you for that information Linda. I actually clipped as I sewed on this one so I wouldn't pull too much on that piece. I sew with my circle down and the side up so I can clip as I go. I only pinned at the beginning so I would know where I needed to clip. I'm going to look at some quilt circles and see how they do it. Thanks again.
angelalee511

Postby nonie » November 10th, 2014, 10:44 am

How classy looking, you did a wonderful job. I really like the fabric, it will fit in with any other pillows.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Return to Interior Decorating