Pillows and more pillows

Discussion about interior decorating

Pillows and more pillows

Postby angelalee511 » May 30th, 2014, 6:56 am

I thought these would be my problem child, but they were surprisingly easy. This type of tassel fringe can go inside or outside the pillow. Customer wanted it outside, and I'm glad she did. Because I wanted it really even, I chose to hand stitch it down after the construction. I think I will attempt this again stitching it on first, then using my edge stitching foot to stitch it closed. I didn't have the right size insert but did see it filled when I dropped them off. They were so much prettier stuffed.

IMG_1549.JPG
IMG_1549.JPG (51.51 KiB) Viewed 922 times

IMG_1550.JPG
IMG_1550.JPG (76.57 KiB) Viewed 922 times

And these were the ones that gave me issues. And I thought they'd be a breeze. This was a very, very lightweight fabric and boy did it ravel! The piping is mohair and crossgrain cut! I typically use a 1/2" cording for pillow piping, but it was way too big. I went with 3/8" instead. Once I got it put together, the weight of the mohair plus the cord was just too much. Add to that cut on the crossgrain, and it was a real problem. It was just too bulky and heavy for that fabric. I wouldn't have chosen that combination. I took them in anyway and begged to let me redo them. I replaced the 3/8" cotton cord with a 5/32" cotton twist cord. The twisted cord was much more pliable than the cotton and more forgiving. That allowed me to get the piping much smaller. It was still a challenge going around the corners especially without the right presser feet for the job. And I still have some puckering in the stripe fabric because I had to ease it in to get the stripes to line up properly, and without the stretch of the piping, there was no way it was going to be completely smooth. The weight of this mohair just overpowers the thinner, lightweight stripe. On a good note, my stripes line up perfectly on all 4 pillows, and that was most important to client. The zipper was a witch to get in. It got caught in the hairs of the mohair and in the weave of the stripe fabric. I ripped the first one out 6 stinkin' times. :ranting: I tried to get them to do a lap zipper instead but they preferred to have the invisible zip not so invisible.

IMG_1553.JPG
IMG_1553.JPG (47.19 KiB) Viewed 922 times

I give you this information for two reasons. One, mohair and zippers are not friends!! Two, when choosing fabrics and trim, keep in mind the weight of all pieces and even test a sample. There will have to be adjustments made to keep one from overpowering the other(s). If you have a heavyweight trim or fabric for piping, does it give? Is the fabric cut on the bias? It is not forgiving around corners if it's cut on the crossgrain. But crossgrain is easier and quicker to cut. Also, remember that piping will have double the thickness in the SA.

Also, I found it easiest to baste the piping, then baste it to the pillow front, then stitch to the pillow back. That way if you have to take it apart, the basting stitches are much easier to remove, especially on thicker SA's. I hope my mistakes will help someone else not say any ugly words. Because I said quite a few! :oops:
angelalee511

Re: Pillows and more pillows

Postby Rosieq » May 30th, 2014, 7:24 am

Angela, I sent some thoughts via pm...Christopher Nejman wrote the Pillow Book. Slow memory on nouns!

Your pillows are so lovely....does your customer provide you the fabric and let you just go with it? Or are they real exact as to what they want. What a fun job...I think your pillows look great and once you are comfy with them, they will go up so fast for you....
Linda

Life is a garden, Good friends are the flowers,
And times spent together, Life's happiest hours.....

http://pinterest.com/intherosegarden/
http://www.linda-thisnthatintherosegarden.blogspot.com/
Rosieq

Postby nana judy » May 30th, 2014, 7:45 am

Angela, your pillows are beautiful! Great job!
Judy
nana judy

Postby angelalee511 » May 30th, 2014, 9:18 am

Linda, the customer supplies the fabric and sometime they are and sometimes not. They are usually really good at taking advice though - except for doing a lapped zip in these. :wink: And I'll make myself a note to look for that book. Thank you.

Thank you Judy.
angelalee511

Postby nonie » May 30th, 2014, 9:59 am

Angela, how beautiful, you took a lot of time to make those so perfect.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby KathyD » May 30th, 2014, 2:31 pm

The pillows are beautiful!!! You did a great job, in spite of the challenges. There's always some sort of "issue" to deal with when I do home dec stuff - I hate that. I guess it's because I don't do this all the time that I am not aware of the possible problems as I usually am when I sew children's clothing. I'm impressed with your beautiful stripes lining up.

Kathy
KathyD

Postby Linda in NM » May 30th, 2014, 3:34 pm

Wow! So very pretty!
Linda in NM
Linda in NM

Postby gardenbunnies » May 30th, 2014, 5:56 pm

Angela, those are really nice. I have made some pillow too for some of my sister's clients ( she was an upholster) to help sometimes if she was too busy or it was a rush job. I know how it is to want to get it right and inform them that certain things just don't work.
One suggestion I have that my sister uses is to staple the layers together, especially when there is stripes that helps to hold it in place and you don't have to worry about pins being in the way or it slipping. Then after you get done sewing you just use a staple remover to get them out. It is also a good way to see if everything is lined up like it should be, it is a whole lot easier to take out staples instead of stitches!
Sometimes certain fabrics are almost impossible to sew. I made some pillows one time for someone that the fabric looked like that it wasn't too thick or anything but it broke and dulled so many needles it wasn't even funny! Another one was a thin silky material that had embroidery on it and it was too hard to sew also, I just couldn't do it, my sister had to do it on her big upholstery machine and she had a time of it too.
Anyway, I just thought I would suggest the stapler.
Sylvia
gardenbunnies

Postby angelalee511 » June 1st, 2014, 5:16 am

Thank you all for the sweet comments.

Sylvia that is a great idea to use staples. I don't think it would have worked on this one, because the focus fabric was so delicate. Staples are cheaper than Wonder Tape too - which I use a lot of. :rotflo:
angelalee511

Postby suep » June 1st, 2014, 6:24 am

You did a fabulous job on those pillows. I love them. You have given me some great ideas.
suep

Postby Hettielynn » June 2nd, 2014, 8:12 pm

Angela, your pillows look fantastic! Great job!
Hettie Lynn
Hettielynn

Postby niener » June 3rd, 2014, 9:49 am

Ooo, I dislike working with that heavy decorator's fringe/trim. You did a fabulous job, Angela!
Jerry

A smile is a light in the window of your face to show your heart is at home.
Anonymous
niener

Postby gardenbunnies » June 3rd, 2014, 12:24 pm

Angela,
Here is a picture of the stapler and staple remover that my sister gave to me to use for making pillows and sewing upholstery.
I thought you might like to see what kind she uses.
Sylvia
Attachments
stapler.jpg
stapler.jpg (28.28 KiB) Viewed 850 times
gardenbunnies

Postby angelalee511 » June 5th, 2014, 3:49 am

Thank you Sylvia. I have one similar to that.
angelalee511

Postby lexie » June 8th, 2014, 7:23 pm

Very neat and beautiful work. Angela
Lexie
lexie

Return to Interior Decorating