Blackout Panels

Discussion about interior decorating

Blackout Panels

Postby angelalee511 » November 19th, 2013, 4:17 am

IMG_2297.JPG
IMG_2297.JPG (97.44 KiB) Viewed 879 times

These are finally done. I have been MIA all weekend trying to get them finished. Britt was home, and I put her tail to work. I really needed an extra pair of hands to get these done. Cutting was the hardest part. That took most of my time, since I knew they had to be cut right. My sewing machine did not like the thickness at the top. They have a double fold plus tabs all across the back. I should have done those tabs differently because of that. The first one I did was a real challenge. I ripped it out 4 different times on one side and twice on the other, plus once when doing the tabs across the top. :ranting:. Those layers just kept moving. I finally got my walking foot, and as long as I kept the linen on top, all was good. The second panel went much more smoothly. One of the panels at the top is slightly crooked because my machine just wouldn't stitch it. I'll have to find another way if I do these again.

She also brought home the kitchen one for me to redo. I was going to make it more narrow, but I got so lucky on this one. We decided to mount it on a board instead of a rod. I got the board yesterday cut to 82". The treatment was 82.5"! I just wrapped that sucker around the side edges! I was not ripping and cutting one side for 1/2". :shock: I have it stapled to the board. Now I just have to make ties, and I am officially done with window treatments. :bounce:

These are a linen/cotton blend fabric from a new fabric store here. $15/yard! The other linen I originally wanted was $25, so that was a deal. And it is much heavier. I also lined them with black out liner, and they have an interlining. I will never do the sides the way I did these ever again! I should have stuck to the way I've always done them. I saw a tutorial on doing the sides and thought I'd try it. I do like not having a hem down the sides but not enough to ever do it this way again. Plus the seam is much less bulky, and it lays prettier my old way. This time I stitched them right sides together then turned them and pressed. The focus fabric is wider, so it overlaps on the back and no visible stitch line. The way I typically do them is to cut the focus fabric much wider and lay them all together (linen right side down, interlining then lining right side up) and fold the edge of the linen over encasing the two linings. You then use a running stitch or a blind hem to stitch down the side. It's a lot more work getting them pinned together and lined up properly, but it makes a much nicer treatment.

I'm just happy they are finished!!
angelalee511

Re: Blackout Panels

Postby nana judy » November 19th, 2013, 4:47 am

Nice job.
Judy
nana judy

Postby KathyD » November 19th, 2013, 8:18 am

Great job on getting these window treatments done! I hate making window treatments and my living room and dining room still don't have any - we've been in this house for 18 years now. LOL! Now you can move on to some fun sewing!

Kathy
KathyD

Postby Rettabug » November 19th, 2013, 11:28 am

Bless you for your efforts on these, Angela! :yea: They look very nice & extremely professional, too.
I know how difficult it is to man handle those large sections of fabric...just like a queen size quilt! :shock:
Rettabug

Postby NancyF » November 19th, 2013, 3:41 pm

I am so glad I read this. I am working on window treatments and was going to try the method you just described. Now I won't do that and will go back to my old way of doing things.

I also hate window treatments but I also hate paying for them when I know I can make them much cheaper.

I am cheating this time. I wanted white heavy twill with wide grosgrain ribbon trim in navy. Pottery Barn had a really good sale on plain white twill panels and I had a "welcome to the neighborhood" coupon from when my kids were having their mail forwarded to my house during their moves. So I bought the Pottery Barn ones and 2-1/2 wide grosgrain ribbon and I have been adding the ribbon trim myself. They all had to be hemmed also. PITA! I bought extra panels so that I can make roman shades for the three windows near the kitchen table. I am just going to use the fabric from the panels for the shades. My family room has an entire wall that is glass so I had lots of panels to redo.

I have done this before - bought curtains just to get the fabric. Sometimes Overstock has crazy deals on odd sizes and so does Pottery Barn when they have a clearance.

Then I have to make new covers for all the throw pillows (10) because they are the kind that came with the furniture and need to be there but now aren't the right color. I think the dining room and the living room are going to have to wait a while because I am about all curtained out.

Nancy F.
NancyF

Postby nonie » November 19th, 2013, 3:51 pm

Angela, those look wonderful. Oh, you have such patience which really paid off.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby angelalee511 » November 20th, 2013, 3:53 am

Thanks everyone! If my machine could have handle the thickness, I would have been much happier with them. Britt is home, and I told her I needed to redo the one on the right. I don't like it in the picture. :rotflo: That's probably the little stinker I had to rip out 4 flippin' times. :roll:

Rett, yes it was LOT of fabric to try to hold and it kept falling off my desk! I should have brought over a chair, but I just kept shifting it back in place. I went really slow to keep everything in place.

Nancy I have done that too and used sheets as well. If you only have a lining and the fabric, you might like doing them right sides then turning. It's just really hard to get them even on both sides. I much prefer to just fold over the focus fabric. I think you'll be happier with the results. Would love to see your roman shades. I have always wanted to do some. I have a window by my computer that has towel hanging from it. It's been there for 7 years. :rotflo: I would love a roman shade there but have been too chicken to attempt it.

Here is a link that has some really cool pillows. http://www.thediydish.com/2010/02/how-to-make-chic-pillows-thediydish-on-studio5/ Maybe it will give you some ideas for yours.
angelalee511

Postby niener » November 25th, 2013, 10:29 pm

Angela, I have this task facing me in the new year. :shock: How about I just bring the fabric and plan to come for a sewing visit about then? :D I get sweaty palms just thinking about it. :rotflo: I don't see any problems! They hang beautifully.
Jerry

A smile is a light in the window of your face to show your heart is at home.
Anonymous
niener

Postby angelalee511 » November 26th, 2013, 3:51 am

Oh Jerry, I would love to help. I've done them one time before, so the third time should be a charm!! I'll even take you sight seeing.
angelalee511

Return to Interior Decorating