Bunny--Making plans?

Discussion about interior decorating

Bunny--Making plans?

Postby nonie » January 3rd, 2018, 12:20 pm

Bunny, I know you will do a super decorating job and I so hope I can learn a lot from you. As you, delve into your decorating, I hope it is not to much to ask for you to share. What type of counter top will you use and why? what will your painting theme be? will you do your new bath the same as your 'old' house?
Are you a curtain or drape person? I like bare windows, but here have chosen to do sheers on the living room windows. (no view)
so inquiring minds want to know. Hope you don't mind my being nosy :D
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Re: Bunny--Making plans?

Postby Bunbun5 » January 6th, 2018, 5:47 am

It's a process that will unfold over time. When we go next weekend I am going to white wash the fireplace. The painters have removed all the popcorn ceilings and re skimmed and painted them. Next weekend we also hope to purchase all our doors, six panel white, trim, cabinets and appliances. The bathroom is last on our list and we will tackle that later once we are in. It is functional and not much more.

This home is a mid century ranch that was lived in by a bachelor electrician. The electric is awesome with tons of outlets everywhere, even in weird places like 7 feet up the bathroom wall in an indented shelf. He said this was for his radio so he could listen to NPR while in the bathroom. There are speakers everywhere in the house and basement, again he said so he could listen to NPR. :roll: Let's get back to the bachelor part---he did a lot of "guy" stuff if you know what I mean. Need trim? just get all the cheapest clamshell trim you can and use it for the doors AND baseboards, ugly and very cheap looking. We will have six inch baseboards with molding and nice colonial trim for the doors. Doors are going to be six panel white. We think he put home made cabinets up as well. They don't line up on the walls and are big blank boxes with NO shelves or places to put them and no "style" so you have this big box with only the floor to put things on. The kitchen will have medium gray cabinets on the bottom and white cabinets, not many, on top. There will be open shelving. We will trade out the existing appliances, nice, white and extremely cheap for some nice stainless. I love stainless.

Everything in this home will be sized down and we are now very happy we sold our furniture from the last house. It would not work here at all as it was larger scaled for the big open great room. Here we have a front to back living/ dining room that opens to a galley kitchen. We are in a smaller home, lovelies. There is a big pantry closet which I love but nasty shelving so we will fix that. There is a large window street side in the LR, they were big into lots of windows which we love, in the front of the house and a very large window opposite on the back wall of the house with a lovely view of the lake. I may do a simple panel on each side with sheer at the top and a 1/3 border on the bottom of a shantung, maybe a pale turquoise. One thing about decorating that I believe is that it evolves and should take time. While there should be a vision to get the bones done, you can then look at the space and see it needs more color, texture, or whatever and go from there. It's an evolution.

Being a ranch means there is a hallway down the middle with the bedrooms, etc off to the sides. The bedrooms will be a medium/lightish gray, the hall a cool white for brightness and the LR/DR will be a very very light gray, almost white but dark enough to contrast with the white trim. We hope to have crown molding in that area as well. Every, EVERY room in the house has a ceiling fan. We do NOT like ceiling fans, just our personal taste, in general but the one in the sunroom is appropriate and will stay. All others will go. The front door is nearly full stained glass, which I wouldn't have chosen but like enough to keep it. All the floors will be a washed grey oak LVP (what they call luxury vinyl plank). Currently they are 1970s gross shag. We are planning this house for aging and that floor type seems perfect.

Why did we buy this house? It had everything two aging people could need which made our children very happy. We had numerous family discussions about what the next home would need. Here's the checklist:
* all one floor, not easy to find in New Hampshire
*Close to children
*laundry on main floor
*garage, we got a 2 car attached, sheetrocked, heated garage
*out buildings for Ern's toys
* space for my creating
* nice country environment but close to stores, doctors, etc.
*neighbors
*small yard so Ern does not spend his lifetime maintaining 8 acres
*full bath on the main floor. sounds simple but most homes we looked at didn't have this. That aging thing again, ya know.

Extras that came with this house that we didn't plan on:
*Lakeside living with water frontage. We were not looking for that at all.
*lots of nature and wildlife, per the previous owners. We will be back in the land of bears and herons.
* closer to children than we thought we could afford
*the opportunity to make it our own, being not in great shape, and not having to accept a nicer interior but not my nice.
*nice neighbors we have already met and are really happy about.
*lots of resources we did not have up here in NY
*hot water off the grid, solar panels on the roof
*state of the art heating system
* a totally open sheetrocked, heated, insulated, well lit basement with tons of outlets. Did I say speakers?
*paved driveway, again, not easily found in rural NH and all the easier to plow and maintain. It is relatively short and that is good too
*fabulous three season sunroom. You all saw the pictures. It is all insulated but no heat. We plan to make it year round by adding heat. It sold us the house.
*More storage and closets than I can imagine.

All in all we have a dated home in a very nice neighborhood/area, surrounded by nicer well kept homes. Once we bring it up to snuff it will be lovely. For the outside we will paint it all a very dark grey, redo the posts across the front to stain and stained shutters, very Chip and Joanna on the outside. I know I will have gardening challenges as we will be back in the land of gravel dirt and high acid content in the shade. I've made that work before but that will take time. I haven't formulated much about the landscaping yet other than there are things we will remove. There are two beautiful red maples out front, quite large and aged. Love them.

So that it is it in a nutshell. As I said these things evolve and I will keep you posted. I plan to refinish lots of furniture as well. Audrey has given me a dining room set that we originally gave her as a gift for her first home. Remember, I used to sell furniture? I will refinish that as well as some end tables and a headboard for the MBR. Tons of work but I really love refinishing furniture, up there with sewing, and will have plenty of space to do so.

It's a challenge but we are excited and organized. Keep ya posted.
Follow my sewing adventure at http://lasewist.blogspot.com/
"You get what you get and you don't get upset."...Carly Petersen
Bunbun5

Postby KathyD » January 6th, 2018, 6:01 am

I read every detail and it sounds like a great plan Bunny!!! You'll love having everything painted and fresh. :)

I can't wait to see what you do with your sewing room space!!!

Kathy
KathyD

Postby nonie » January 6th, 2018, 10:00 am

Thank you so much for sharing your plans with us. I feel like we are family. So sharing your creativity is letting us share in your excitement. I remember pictures from your last yard, so know this yard will also be a show stopper.
You are so right, it will all evolve.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby niener » January 6th, 2018, 8:00 pm

Bunny, as we recently discussed whether or not we wanted to update our color scheme, I did a lot of decorating blog reading....I know, who am I?! :P From what I started understanding, decorating and making a place "home" is a process. People are all about making their homes have a "curated look". Well, guess what? Most of us have that look right now because we bought what we loved and got rid of what we didn't! I am so excited that you will allow us to tag along on this wonderful journey of taking a bachelor's pad into a curated, beautiful home for your and Ernie's next chapter of life. I can only imagine how rapidly those creative wheels of yours are turning! Everything you have planned sounds perfect for the setting, the style of the home, and your personal style. I can hardly wait to see it all put together.
Jerry

A smile is a light in the window of your face to show your heart is at home.
Anonymous
niener

Return to Interior Decorating