A little help please

Discussion about interior decorating

A little help please

Postby angelalee511 » November 17th, 2017, 11:42 am

cones.jpg
cones.jpg (48.57 KiB) Viewed 112 times

inverted tab.jpg
inverted tab.jpg (92.31 KiB) Viewed 112 times

My friend, Tonya, with the velvet drapes wants me to make a valance combining elements. She wants the triple cone in the first photo and the inverted tab in the second. I can make the inverted tab easily. It's the cone I'm having trouble with. And I don't have a pattern, nor can I find one. It appears I could use one big piece of fabric and tack them together at different points and fold in the pleats to make the cones. But I can't figure out how to make that big piece. Plus I have to determine how to incorporate that with the rod going through the tabs. I'm thinking I could stitch it to the top of the main valance over a tab behind it and just tack it down.

I'd like to do this just for the challenge. Yeah, I know. I'm a glutton for punishment! :rotflo: Ideas??
angelalee511

Re: A little help please

Postby nonie » November 17th, 2017, 11:49 am

What fabric are you using? Will you be using the velvet?
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby angelalee511 » November 17th, 2017, 2:53 pm

Yes, velvet with a cream lining. So I won't do the contrast on the inverted tab. I'll also most likely eliminate that bottom seam of that contrast fabric in the photo. I'll have to keep the top one I think for the tabs.
angelalee511

Postby NancyF » November 17th, 2017, 9:11 pm

Just looking at the cones - could that be a long piece of fabric in a shallow half circle that was joined at the long straight side and let to fall.

I don't know why I think that. I have been working with ruffles made from spiral circles and it reminded me pf that.

Nancy F.
NancyF

Postby angelalee511 » November 18th, 2017, 1:15 pm

That's what I think too Nancy. I'm not sure of the dimensions though. I'll have to play with it this weekend. Thank you.
angelalee511

Postby jsm » November 18th, 2017, 3:24 pm

We have something similar on a window. It is called a double stacked jabot. The closest I could find for instructions is here.
https://www.rowleycompany.com/images/I_ ... System.pdf

The beginning shape is a pentagon shape. On mine, and the one in the link above, you will see two of the edges brought together on the top layer. I cannot figure out how the one in your photo seems to have none of the edges together. Seems like they would have to meet either on the top or bottom bell. My sinus headache may not be letting me think clearly.

Our jabots hang between three swags on a bay window. They are stapled to the top of the valance rod. I am not sure you could very easily do one with the tabs.

Also, maybe I am being too pessimistic (quite often my problem :oops: ). With all the layers and folds, the jabots can be quite heavy. They would be even more so in velvet. My other concern would be the nap of the velvet. When you start folding the layers, will the nap remain the same on all? Or, will it cause some layers to look lighter or darker, depending on the lay of the nap and way it reflects the light?

You are a brave woman to take on the challenge. This is one time I would say "no", and gently nudge your friend to consider a different style.
Jan M.
jsm

Postby jsm » November 18th, 2017, 3:30 pm

On a second, and closer look, I guess they just reversed the jabot. The two edges are meeting, and together form the bottom point.
Instead, you would start with a piece with straight top and sides. The bottom of the piece would be concave, as if a circle had been cut out -- I think? I can see it, but not explain it.

Jan M.
jsm

Postby angelalee511 » November 19th, 2017, 12:32 pm

These are called triple stacked cones I believe - at least that's what I find when I Google. Jan, I think I can use this pattern but stitch it together to form the circle then tack them together to form the cones. I do believe the weight at the top will be a challenge if using tabs. My original thought was to insert a tab behind the jabot, but that won't work.

I have a pattern with a similar look that I'll try to nudge her toward. I don't have time for this right now and my brain is fried. :rotflo:

Thank you all for the suggestions. They were all very helpful.
angelalee511

Postby jsm » November 19th, 2017, 1:51 pm

I am sure your friend would love to have them before the holidays. I think this is definitely a project, which should you choose to accept, is something that needs to be done when you have plenty of time, no other deadlines or the craziness of holidays. I hope she will be open to ideas that might work better for the bulk, weight and other characteristics of velvet.

Jan M.
jsm

Return to Interior Decorating