The new old bath

Discussion about interior decorating

The new old bath

Postby Bunbun5 » May 14th, 2017, 10:31 am

Here are pics for those not on FB. I will post in two posts to get enough up. Pardon the nastiness of the tape, mess, etc. Click to see larger.

DSC_0168 (Small) (Custom).JPG
DSC_0168 (Small) (Custom).JPG (41.72 KiB) Viewed 311 times

DSC_0209 (Small) (Medium).JPG
DSC_0209 (Small) (Medium).JPG (51.07 KiB) Viewed 311 times

DSC_0210 (Small).JPG
DSC_0210 (Small).JPG (53.45 KiB) Viewed 310 times
Last edited by Bunbun5 on May 14th, 2017, 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Follow my sewing adventure at http://lasewist.blogspot.com/
"You get what you get and you don't get upset."...Carly Petersen
Bunbun5

Re: The new old bath

Postby Bunbun5 » May 14th, 2017, 10:53 am

The potty cubby. For some reason the whitish walls look different colors. They aren't all walls except for the shelf area are Sherwin Williams "Thunder Cloud" a rather greyish white. They do not show true in the pic but their grayness really compliments. The back wall to the shelves and the cabinets are SW "Let it rain". Trim is SW "Snowbound".

DSC_0204 (Medium).JPG
DSC_0204 (Medium).JPG (44.79 KiB) Viewed 308 times

This is the hall outside the bath and I stole this jelly cupboard from another area of the house to keep bathroom extras: towels, cleaners, etc. It was a Ben Moore colonial green originally and I put two coats of a gray blue stain on top of that and rubbed it off . I am really pleased as I had no idea what would happen. It goes perfectly. I have to add that the art work is a treasured piece by a dear friend, Ern's lifelong childhood best friend whose wife is my best friend. Steve was an amazing artist and this is a pen and ink of Ern's favorite place in the world: Ned's Point on Cape Cod, where Ern would spend many days fishing in the ocean with his dad.

DSC_0203 (Custom).JPG
DSC_0203 (Custom).JPG (23.27 KiB) Viewed 308 times
Bunbun5

Postby Bunbun5 » May 14th, 2017, 11:02 am

Some deets: The cabinets were first sanded, got TSP, then two coats of Kilz primer. After that two coats of matte SW Let it rain and then two coats of matte poly. I did a sample first as I really thought a satin finish in the paint and poly would work best but far from it. I talked to the guy at SW, my new best friend, :wink: , and he suggested matte paint and matte water based poly. He was so right. It has the same finish as the high end painted cabinets I oggled.

We could not find silver matching hinges for the mirror and cabinet so I did some research and spray painted them with two coats of Krylon UNIVERSAL metallic silver paint, no primer required. I was really surprised with how well those came out and the finish was nice and hard.

The knobs I got on Etsy from a neat site called Alabama cottage, reasonably priced and great service.

I have a gorgeous linen home dec print to make a window treatment and shower curtain. I hope to get back in the cave and start that soon. I'll show pics when done. It will have clear beads on the edge to mimic the sparkly knobs, which are mercury glass and vintage.

All the accessories and new faucet are brushed nickel.

The lighting is the best we could do. We had an odd situation with that big medicine cabinet and the light fixture being so close to it. We both looked at a million lights online and in the stores. This really was the best solution without big expense. It is from Lowe's and is an LED cool bulb that is integral to the fixture and will not go out ever. They told us at least ten years and showed us a couple in the store that had been there for six years and never changed. You can't change them. You have to put up a new light when they go. We won't be here.

The tiles went up when we bought the house. They are glass tiles and highly irridescent. They are hand cut glass I special ordered from Japan, shades of the decorating career I just left. I was hoping they would brighten the dull oak bath but it turned out nothing really helped with that. I really got to dislike them but with moving was not about to hire someone to tear down, resheetrock and retile. I justs crossed my fingers and said, "it is what it is". Turns out they pick up on the blue gray and sparkle their irridescence like they never did with the oak and look just perfect. I am so pleased with them now.

This took every weekend of my life for two months and I am so glad now. From that it was an immediate jump to the yard sale. The yard sale paid for the bath upgrade. New carpets are coming as well and I have to pick them up tomorrow, a soft light grey.

Thanks for humoring me.
Bunbun5

Postby NancyF » May 14th, 2017, 5:40 pm

Bunny,

So much worth all the work you did. What a transformation. I absolutely love the gray sink base and I can actually see the difference in the tile colors depending on what is near it. That is what I love about iridescent things - they pick up the color they are near.

Everything looks so crisp and new. This is surely going to be a very good selling point.

Beautiful!

Nancy F
NancyF

Postby Rosieq » May 14th, 2017, 6:33 pm

Very nice, Bunny. I love your knobs. I have not been able to find any I want for our Master bath. I'm going shopping on Etsy. Thanks for leaving the shop name.

Your pain spending so many weekends in that room surely paid off. Your painting is streak free! I like the technique.

Bravo!!

Linda
Life is a garden, Good friends are the flowers,
And times spent together, Life's happiest hours.....

http://pinterest.com/intherosegarden/
http://www.linda-thisnthatintherosegarden.blogspot.com/
Rosieq

Postby gardenbunnies » May 15th, 2017, 5:23 am

I really love it! It was a real transformation. I painted my bathroom cabinet gray about a year and a half ago. I love how it turned out. I changed my light too and it made so much difference. I am sure whoever buys it will love it.
Sylvia
gardenbunnies

Postby KathyD » May 15th, 2017, 8:19 am

It's beautiful Bunny!!! If I had any painting skills (and desire), I'd be painting our bathroom cabinets. But, that's not going to happen. Eventually we will change them, but for now they stay the same and are outdated. Maybe next year.

I love the blue colors and those tiles look gorgeous with the new color!!!

Kathy
KathyD

Postby niener » May 15th, 2017, 9:02 am

Bunny, as I told you on FB, your hard work certainly paid off. This is an amazing transformation. Your designer eye is so evident in the subtleties of this new décor. I thought the backsplash tiles were new to the reno! How perfectly they tie everything together. Those knobs are totally amazing. This bathroom will certainly figure into somebody falling in love with your house when it goes on the market. The fabric for the valance and shower curtain sounds utterly fabulous as well. I can't wait to see them now. :rotflo:
Jerry

A smile is a light in the window of your face to show your heart is at home.
Anonymous
niener

Postby nonie » May 15th, 2017, 9:51 am

Wow! how beautiful. a lot of work and it really paid off. Love everything about it, the colors you chose are perfect.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby Bunbun5 » May 15th, 2017, 1:33 pm

Thanks, everyone. It was really surprising to see how differently the tiles worked in the new room. Appreciate all your nice comments.
Bunbun5

Postby angelalee511 » May 16th, 2017, 6:58 am

Love the bath Bunny. I think everyone who sees the house will love it too. Great job! The knobs work perfectly!
angelalee511

Return to Interior Decorating