Recommendations

Discussion About Dolls and Doll Clothes

Recommendations

Postby Laineybug » December 2nd, 2015, 12:55 pm

Hi everyon!
It has been over 40 years since I've made doll clothes. My 4 year old is getting an AG doll for Christmas and I've been asked to make a wardrobe. What patterns do you find best for the 18" girl (not the baby) doll? Any tips or tricks would also be appreciated.

Lainey
Laineybug

Re: Recommendations

Postby nonie » December 2nd, 2015, 1:26 pm

I love Genines Patterns, they are easy to sew plus they have style. You can also smock something, and it doesn't look baby.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby grammynan » December 2nd, 2015, 1:35 pm

I found that our Genine's patterns are the best!

Nancy
grammynan

Postby Laineybug » December 2nd, 2015, 5:23 pm

Thank you! Any links available?
Laineybug

Postby jsm » December 2nd, 2015, 5:55 pm

Genine does have some very cute patterns!

I also like the ones from Children's Corner, especially if I am making matching dresses for a girl and her doll. The original book Dolly's Wardrobe (on the first row in the link below), includes smocked and heirloom clothes. The newer Dolly's Play Clothes (scroll down a little on the link) has more casual clothes.

http://www.childrenscornerstore.com/col ... books-dvds

Jan M.
jsm

Postby Jenny Jo » December 2nd, 2015, 7:06 pm

Loooooove Genine's patterns! They are always done so well and finished so nicely. Here is the link: http://www.pixiefaire.com/collections/genniewren. I haven't ever tried the Children's Corner ones. I can definitely say stay away from the Big Three.
Jenny Jo
Jenny Jo

Postby KathyD » December 2nd, 2015, 7:14 pm

I'd also go with either Genine's patterns or the Children's Corner book patterns. All of those work so well. :)

Kathy
KathyD

Postby Laineybug » December 11th, 2015, 2:34 am

Thank you everyone. Daughter bought a couple of big 4 before I could say wait. We have been sewing away. The big 4 patterns aren't terrible. I do want to try Jeannie's and CC's. At last count we had 21 pieces (bottoms, tops, dresses, jackets, shrugs) planned that will mix and match. Daughter has added at least a couple more. Will post pics soon.
Laineybug

Postby KarenVA » December 21st, 2015, 1:45 pm

I LOVE Genine's patterns--and she has machine embroidery designs for doll clothes!!

Joan Hinds has some nice patterns, too:
http://www.fancyworkandfashion.com/
KarenVA
"We cannot do great things, we can only do little things with great love." Mother Teresa
KarenVA

Postby genniewren » December 24th, 2015, 4:04 am

Wow, thank you for the lovely comments.

Have you seen the new American Girl patterns? They are sponsored by AG and are said to have a better fit than some of the big 3 patterns.

Also, don't forget the free original AG historical patterns. You can download them from the AG Playthings site. http://www.agplaythings.com/ag%20patter ... terns.html Check the print settings carefully - don't use print to fit, select the actual size option. Otherwise they will print too small. Although they are "historical" they can be used for more modern clothes too - e.g. Josefina's chemise makes a great peasant blouse and there are lots of nightwear choices too. Even a raincoat and sou'wester.
genniewren

Postby Linda in NM » December 30th, 2015, 9:35 am

I made one of the AG branded Simplicity patterns (8039), and I was NOT impressed. It turned out ok but I should not have followed their instructions. I was showing a friend how to follow patterns (she is new to sewing and just here for a visit). Now when I do something that displeases her, she jokingly snarls "you lousy pattern-picker!" The instructions called for putting the sleeve in after the side seam was sewn. And to me the inside looks unfinished even though it is lined. Just not pleased with the instructions.
Attachments
Simplicity 8033.jpg
Simplicity 8033.jpg (141.83 KiB) Viewed 629 times
Linda in NM
Linda in NM

Return to Hello Dolly