Valance

Discussions about general sewing

Valance

Postby nana judy » November 4th, 2017, 7:12 am

]Wanted to share the valance that I made for the bedroom to go with the bedding I found at Goodwill.
The valance is just two rectangles of fabric with one end rounded to give a little " interest".The monogram is from Designs by Juju. It is just draped over the rod. I may later sew buttons on the sides.
My bedroom is not a master bedroom by todays standards at all and is not that large and neither is my bathroom. The bed pretty much has to sit by the wall to have some room in the bedroom so I knew the dust ruffle would only have to cover one side and the foot of the bed. I took the "drop" off the bedshirt and glued Velcro to the box springs and sewed the other side to the bedskrit for the two sides. I used the remaining part of the bedskirt to make a valance for the bathroom. The comforter, pillow shams and the white shower curtain were all Goodwill finds as well as the Euro shams that I still have not made covers for.
IMG_0123.JPG
IMG_0123.JPG (89.42 KiB) Viewed 198 times

IMG_0125.JPG
IMG_0125.JPG (85.37 KiB) Viewed 198 times

IMG_0131.JPG
IMG_0131.JPG (73.23 KiB) Viewed 198 times
Judy
nana judy

Re: Valance

Postby nana judy » November 4th, 2017, 7:13 am

IMG_0132.JPG
IMG_0132.JPG (68.29 KiB) Viewed 197 times
Judy
nana judy

Postby Karens Krafts » November 4th, 2017, 9:10 am

Love, love your new bedroom! And to think it’s a Goodwill find. I never find things at thrift stores, so I have just quit goin. When I spent summers in Oregon, a lady I went to church with always stopped at Goodwill after church. So I”d go along and browse but didn’t buy. She had a shoe fetish, and quite frequently bought shoes. That’s one thing I’ve always been told never to buy. Our stance and walk wear shoes differently, and can cause long term problems if you’re wearing ones that throw your ankle, knee, or hip into a different position even if not noticed. The long term damage is possible
But, saying that, I think I may just stop at our Goodwill and see if I have better luck here. You certainly know how to shop at yours, Judy
Karen
Karens Krafts

Postby niener » November 4th, 2017, 12:05 pm

Judy, what a nice job on the valances and bedskirt remake!!! I wish I were as resourceful!
Jerry

A smile is a light in the window of your face to show your heart is at home.
Anonymous
niener

Postby nonie » November 4th, 2017, 12:51 pm

Wow!! I am with Karen as far as finding anything useful at Goodwill. I don't know how you do it. You sure do have a decorator touch looks great.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby Rosieq » November 4th, 2017, 12:53 pm

Our goodwill stores are the pits. And, when we go to Florida and I go with Margaret, she can always find things, but I just never find a thing that interests me. I think when one can run in regularly, just like going for groceries, they find nicer things often enough to merit the time. But, for us once in a blue moon, I would rather go to an upscale second hand shop. My future niece does all,her shopping especially for special occasions at FiFis in Sarasota. She finds beautiful things, takes them back to be resold a few days later. No cluttered closets, no high budget, and there is a good turnaround somher things resale quickly.

But, Judy, you are so lucky with the bedding and fabrics. I never see those things in Florida...at least not quality items like you find.

Linda
Linda

Life is a garden, Good friends are the flowers,
And times spent together, Life's happiest hours.....

http://pinterest.com/intherosegarden/
http://www.linda-thisnthatintherosegarden.blogspot.com/
Rosieq

Postby angelalee511 » November 5th, 2017, 11:32 am

making them is almost as much fun as the savings!! These are all nicely done Judy. We don't have good stuff at our Goodwill either. Love your new room!
angelalee511

Postby nana judy » November 5th, 2017, 3:04 pm

Thanks yall. It took several werks of stopping in and looking to find all the pieces.Goodwill just isnt a place that you can go in for something specific and necessasarily find it that day. I needed new bedding but was hesitant to spend very much because of Barney. He sleeps on the bed a lot during the day and sleeps in it at night. Never would I have guessed that I would let a pet guidea my decisions. Lol
Judy
nana judy

Postby grammynan » November 5th, 2017, 4:50 pm

You did an awesome job Judy!

And to think I thought I did good on finding a quilt and shams at Zulily and curtains at Waverly at an extremely good price. You've got me beat lady!!!! What an awesome find!!! I love your valance.

Nancy
grammynan

Postby KarenVA » November 5th, 2017, 6:35 pm

Gosh, Judy, you are the bargain Queen!! I love the colors in your “new” room!! Nicely done!!
KarenVA
"We cannot do great things, we can only do little things with great love." Mother Teresa
KarenVA

Return to General Sewing