Skipped stitches

Discussions about general sewing

Skipped stitches

Postby wannabesewing » September 13th, 2017, 10:15 pm

First, I am embarrassed to say that I have been a member since 2013 and never posted. I come often and enjoy the site. So, here I am looking to the experts for advice, hopefully a solution. I am sewing with a micro fleece and the stitches are looping and skipping. I have gone through the checklist; changed the needle, changed the thread, cleaned the machine, played with foot pressure and tension, tried the walking foot. A ballpoint needle is out and a stretch needle is not much better. What am I missing? I have sewn with this fabric before and never had an issue. I have 3 machines, Viking Rose, Babylock, vintage Necchi, and none of them are co-operating! I have been sewing for 57 years and can't remember the last time I was this frustrated. Any and all suggestions are much appreciated.
wannabesewing
New Poster
New Poster

Re: Skipped stitches

Postby KathyD » September 14th, 2017, 7:09 am

You might want to try a microtex needle - they work on some fabrics when other needles don't. I don't sew with fleece, so I'm not sure. Maybe there is some sort of finish on the fabric, or even the dye color that is causing the problem since all machines are behaving poorly with it. If possible, maybe wash the fabric and try again.

Sorry I'm not of much help.

Kathy
KathyD

Postby peacechick » September 14th, 2017, 11:29 am

I'm with Kathy, If all of the machines are acting up, it's probably the fabric. I'd also wash the fabric and try again. Since it's fleece (and I assume it's synthetic), you shouldn't have to worry about it shrinking.
Vanessa, mother to James (37), Sarah (34), Aaron (33), Adam (30) and David (27)
peacechick

Postby jsm » September 14th, 2017, 3:33 pm

In addition to the above suggestions, my only other idea would be to use a lightweight stabilizer. It could be a piece of plain tissue paper which could eadily tear away after stitching. Depending on what you are making, that could be a pain, but could also allow a finished project!
Jan M.
jsm

Postby wannabesewing » September 21st, 2017, 3:06 am

Thank you all. Washing the piece seemed to do the trick. Still skipping a bit, but so much better.
wannabesewing
New Poster
New Poster

Return to General Sewing