what do you think?

Discussions about general sewing

what do you think?

Postby angelalee511 » May 3rd, 2017, 10:03 am

http://www.rubenbakker.nl/analyzing-a-fitting-and-why-we-fit-garments-in-the-first-place/

I don't know how accurate this is, but it makes sense to me.
angelalee511

Re: what do you think?

Postby Karens Krafts » May 4th, 2017, 5:52 am

Wow, great information there! I'll turn on the PC in a bit, and print off that. Thanks
Karen
Karens Krafts

Postby jsm » May 4th, 2017, 7:25 am

That really looks like some great, or at least thought provoking, information.

It is also why I prefer to sew for children, before they develop all those different body features! Sewing long distance for most of my little recipients, and trying to figure out simple things like length and shoulder width, are difficult enough! :)

So grateful for this seamstress, and others like you and Bunny, who enjoy and help us with the harder things!
Jan M.
jsm

Postby Bunbun5 » May 17th, 2017, 1:51 pm

Fitting is quite fascinating and I think this article proves it. Thanks for sharing, Angela.

There is a fitting forum on pattern review and people post pics and then many experts chime in with varying opinions. It is really quite enlightening. I think one "develops" caring about fitting. The first couple decades I sewed it was ok, or too big or too small. There are so many subtleties that I had no clue about. Crotch shape, forward thrusting necks. knock knees. These and many more are all simply issues a good fitting can make disappear.

The big issue today is that no one knows about good fit and therefore doesn't care. It is an education but good fit can take years of your body, despite its size and shape, and feel so much nicer to wear. Last week on Saturday night Live, Melissa McCarthy had the most gorgeous dress on. She is very pretty and a big woman. Her dress fit to perfection and was not something you would ever think of a big woman wearing but she looked fabulous because IT FIT.

I recommend hanging around the fitting board on PR. I have learned a lot there.
Follow my sewing adventure at http://lasewist.blogspot.com/
"You get what you get and you don't get upset."...Carly Petersen
Bunbun5

Return to General Sewing