The bubble challenge

Discussions about general sewing

The bubble challenge

Postby nonie » April 25th, 2017, 11:02 am

Both Jerry and Karen have challenged me to make a bubble. I think Karen just challenged me to get busy and sew something :rotflo: Well, challenge accepted! I didn't think I had a bubble pattern but, seems like I do.

baby leah.jpg
baby leah.jpg (81.74 KiB) Viewed 446 times
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Re: The bubble challenge

Postby Karens Krafts » April 25th, 2017, 1:43 pm

Oh dang it. She's off on another one and I haven't even cut out the front panels again for my last one. NONIE you're definitely outfront in this challenge. Think Jerry will whip up a bunch of things and leave us in the dust? Oh but I love the children's things. And I especially like that pattern
Karen
Karens Krafts

Postby Rosieq » April 25th, 2017, 3:06 pm

Nonie, that is a sweet pattern...I always love vet to see how you all personalize the. You always do something sweet!
Life is a garden, Good friends are the flowers,
And times spent together, Life's happiest hours.....

http://pinterest.com/intherosegarden/
http://www.linda-thisnthatintherosegarden.blogspot.com/
Rosieq

Postby KathyD » April 25th, 2017, 4:32 pm

Cute pattern! I can't wait to see what you make!

Kathy
KathyD

Postby niener » April 25th, 2017, 6:48 pm

Well, Nonie, and Karen, I had every intention of BEATING you both today.....then I had my challenge. :thud: On the boy Taylor with the whipstitch piping around the leg openings, and the way I sew my casing right next to the piping, the area where I run the elastic is pretty snug. I got the girl elastic in and attached, and got one leg of the boy elastic in and attached; but nothing in my bag of tricks has worked to get that elastic through the last side seam on the last leg. :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: I finally just walked away. That's the best thing for me to do so that I can approach it later with a fresh mind and attitude. :P So all I lack finishing on these last two Taylor bubbles is to somehow finish running that piece of elastic in the casing and secure that last end of the elastic and working 4 buttonholes and attaching 4 buttons. Now keep in mind that it may take me a week to figure out what to do about that elastic, so both of you will probably surpass me!!! :rotflo: :rotflo: :rotflo:
Jerry

A smile is a light in the window of your face to show your heart is at home.
Anonymous
niener

Postby angelalee511 » April 26th, 2017, 6:38 am

Okay, so I might be cheating a bit because I started mine early. If I hadn't, Jerry would have certainly dusted me! :rotflo: I have to get some 1/4" buttons today, because I don't have that size in my millions of buttons on hand. :shock: This is Michie Mooney #142. I used this pattern once before for Lila's birthday bubble.

Hang in there Jerry. You and Karen are passing around the gremlins!

Love that pattern Nonie. I think I might have it. Eagerly awaiting your version.
Attachments
IMG_4532.JPG
IMG_4532.JPG (162.39 KiB) Viewed 393 times
angelalee511

Postby jsm » April 26th, 2017, 7:17 am

Always loved that pattern, Nonie. I recall some very cute versions in Creative Needle over the years. I am sure yours will be even sweeter!

Jerry, I often have problems with piping the legs, and then getting everything else to work smoothly. Love the look, especially on the girl version, but hate the struggles. I usually just pipe the neck and arms, and call it good! I am sure you will figure out a way to squeeze that elastic through!

Love that fabric for a little bubble, Angela! I started a smocked bubble last summer in a large and colorful print. Life interfered, never finished it, now don't have a sewing victim that size.

Thought I would get a Taylor cut out last night, but did not happen. :(

Look forward to seeing lots of sweet bubbles!
Jan M.
jsm

Postby Karens Krafts » April 26th, 2017, 8:24 am

Jan, I am challenging you to finish that bubble. You will have someone to fit into it someday, and it will be done. So join this challenge, and finish yours, please.
Karen
Karens Krafts

Postby niener » April 26th, 2017, 9:26 am

Ok, girls! The bubbles are soaking! They are DONE!! woo-hoo!!!!

Angela, what a DARLING bubble! I love large prints with smocking. I would never have even considered it unless my daughter had bought lots of huge splashy prints for smocked things for MK when she was a toddler!! It is a little out of the traditional box and I love it! Have you tried the snap source snaps for the closure at the bottom? My two have preferred that over the tiny buttons on a moving target. :P
Jerry

A smile is a light in the window of your face to show your heart is at home.
Anonymous
niener

Postby nonie » April 26th, 2017, 12:50 pm

Angela, the bubble is darling, just love the smocking.
Update on mine, I forgot how to sew!! have no bias and can not find my bias maker. :( whining here :(
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby jsm » April 26th, 2017, 1:27 pm

Sorry you cannot find the necessary tools, Nonie! That is the story of my sewing room and life.

But, never fear. There are other ways to make bias. I have a bias maker (I actually know where it is), but hardly ever use it.

This is not necessarily how I do it, but do know many who use this method with your ironing board and pins.
Here is one tutorial:
https://byhandlondon.com/blogs/by-hand- ... cy-gadgets

Here is another:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Custom- ... ial-Tools/

There are several other blogs with instructions and maybe slightly different tips or suggestions.

Jan M.
jsm

Postby nonie » April 26th, 2017, 2:17 pm

Thank you Jan, I can stop whining and get back to work.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby angelalee511 » April 27th, 2017, 6:43 am

The pin method works beautifully! I've used it many times. Jan, it would be fantastic if you had a bubble ready to go for the next gift you needed.

Jerry, I have one but do not use it on my clothes. The snaps do not last long. They wear out quickly with repeated use. I used on a cord wrapper for my iPhone cord that I made at Christmas. I won't do that again. I love the tool though. Wonder if I need heavier duty snaps. Has anyone complained about them not holding up? I used the sew on snap tape.
angelalee511

Postby nonie » April 27th, 2017, 12:28 pm

I was excited to try the bias trick and have no pins that will work. :( I might have a T-pin in the office I will see if I can find it.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby peacechick » April 27th, 2017, 5:32 pm

I've got several bubble patterns and some rubber duckie fabric I found at one of the local quilt shops that's been ageing for a few years. Maybe I'll join you...
Vanessa, mother to James (37), Sarah (34), Aaron (33), Adam (30) and David (27)
peacechick

Next

Return to General Sewing