The bubble challenge

Discussions about general sewing

Re: The bubble challenge

Postby jsm » April 27th, 2017, 8:37 pm

Angela, I have never had a problem with the Snap Source snaps wearing out! As Jerry said, all the mommies I sew for have loved them and never conveyed any problems. There are other brands that might give different results, but I have always used Snap Source.

I never liked the snap tape. The snaps are much smaller, and do not seem to hold well. It is also sometimes difficult to get the right amount of snaps, or in the best placement, depending upon the size of the crotch.

I am afraid the chance for more babies in our family is quickly dwindling. Most of my friends' children are also about through the baby stage. So, a bubble for a gift might just sit. I have never been able to "sew ahead". I would probably make a very classic bubble, and the next recipient would be very trendy. :(

Karen, I do need to make bubbles for two little nephews, so I will be sewing bubbles -- not necessarily finishing a previously started bubble! :)
Jan M.
jsm

Postby Karens Krafts » April 27th, 2017, 8:53 pm

Oh Vanessa, you really ought to join this challenge. I just love it when we are working together on a project. It's so fun to challenge others. Especially Jerry since she has to make so many to keep up. And now we'll be after you to show us your bubble.
Karen
Karens Krafts

Postby angelalee511 » April 28th, 2017, 5:07 am

Nonie, I just used a quilting pin. They are longer than the regular ones.

Vanessa, definitely join in.

Jan, the snap tape has bigger snaps than my snap source snaps. Maybe that's my problem. I'll have to get some bigger ones and see if they work better.
angelalee511

Postby jsm » April 28th, 2017, 7:27 am

That's interesting, Angela. The snap tape I have always found has much smaller snaps!

I use size 16 with my Snap Setter. Sometimes I like the look of the open ring cap, but I find it easier to use the capped ring. They seem to hammer in more evenly for me.
http://www.snapsource.com/store/aboutourtools.php

Jan M.
jsm

Postby KathyD » April 28th, 2017, 12:18 pm

I love the snap source snaps as well and have never had a problem with them wearing out. I buy the "long pronged" ones - they have a longer point that bites into the fabric. If you have a lot of bulk (which my crotch snaps always do), the long pronged ones are the best. The regular prongs are best for other areas like blouse fronts/backs, etc.

Kathy
KathyD

Postby niener » April 29th, 2017, 7:21 am

Yes, Angela, I also use the long pronged size 16 Snap Source snaps. When I mess one up, it's hard to get it removed so I can do it again! I used the sew on snap tape for the bubbles I did for Easter; but my problem with the sew in tape variety is being able to maneuver it under any presser foot I own. :ranting: I'm a little OCD about sewing stitches looking perfectly parallel and straight, and I just can't seem to get either of those qualities on the sew on tape.
Jerry

A smile is a light in the window of your face to show your heart is at home.
Anonymous
niener

Postby Karens Krafts » April 29th, 2017, 11:44 am

Same problem here with the sew on snap tape. No matter what foot, you just can't get straight parallel lines. Zipper foot seemed to do the best.
Karen
Karens Krafts

Previous

Return to General Sewing