Austin's Shirt

Discussions about general sewing

Austin's Shirt

Postby angelalee511 » February 6th, 2017, 8:13 am

I totally forgot what pattern I used and it's at home. I'll edit when I get home.

I laid this out on the floor so you could see how the plaids would line up when he wears it. I had it on my dress form, and obviously this shirt was way too big for it. :rotflo: The pockets should have been moved over from the center. I followed the pattern, and it really should take into account the larger sizes. I'll make a note on the pattern for future reference. I can always take them off, but I was just "over" this shirt. :roll: I also did not match the cuff. I didn't have enough fabric. No one will ever notice but me, and if they do, I honestly don't care. :lol:
IMG_4318.JPG
IMG_4318.JPG (89.86 KiB) Viewed 313 times

I had a difficult time trying to figure out how to match the plaids at the back yoke since there is a pleat in the shirt back and the direction they are laid out is opposite. So I gave up and just cut it.
IMG_4316.JPG
IMG_4316.JPG (114.76 KiB) Viewed 313 times

This is a two piece sleeve and I opted to match the plaid at that seam instead of trying to match it at the shoulder. I did line it up with the shirt front though.
IMG_4317.JPG
IMG_4317.JPG (127.53 KiB) Viewed 313 times

All in all, it's not bad. I hated this fabric. It was a bear to work with since it was so incredibly off grain. The red buffalo check I have is much better at first glance. I hope that stays true when laying out the pattern.
angelalee511

Re: Austin's Shirt

Postby Rosieq » February 6th, 2017, 9:11 am

Angela, that certainly looks like a warm shirt. While you are writing on your pattern, I think I would increase the size of the pockets. Compare it with a ready made you like! I love that brown with that pretty blue running thru it....and I doubt a soul notices any offs in matching! They just won't believe you made it...why, it is so nice it must be ready made off the rack.

About the grains, these flannels are not woven any longer. And even if they are sometimes that length of fabric gets wonky on the roll. It is hard to remember to stretch the fabric, and even then, it just wants to relax back to the original on the roll. And, I don't see how you would get the plaids to match with a pleat in it....

The things you had control over look great, you always do such nice work with all that final pressing as well as the pressing as you go!

Linda
Life is a garden, Good friends are the flowers,
And times spent together, Life's happiest hours.....

http://pinterest.com/intherosegarden/
http://www.linda-thisnthatintherosegarden.blogspot.com/
Rosieq

Postby Karens Krafts » February 6th, 2017, 9:21 am

Fantastic job!!!!! It turned out great. I hope you can get a picture of it modeled. I bet you're in the shirt business now. He'll need a couple more to begin with.
Karen
Karens Krafts

Postby nonie » February 6th, 2017, 9:37 am

I second it what a fantastic job. I have made a lot of shirts and they can betrickie to get just right, great job working with plaid.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby genniewren » February 7th, 2017, 5:29 am

It looks great, and warm and cosy for this time of year. I am sure he will be thrilled - although the downside of him loving this shirt is that he'll expect you to make him some more! lol.
Your plaid matching skills are excellent. Large plaids are always tricky but yours look perfect.

So many shop bought things do not bother to match patterns any more. It drives me nuts when I see someone wearing something where the maker didn't even bother to try and match a large plaid or pattern.
genniewren

Postby Bunbun5 » February 7th, 2017, 7:24 pm

Ooo, that's a yummy warm shirt! Great job with the plaids, Angela. To quote the master herself, Claire Shaeffer, "your shoulders will never match and if you try to match them the rest won't match so don't bother." Matching the sleeve seam was definitely the way to go. Great job!
Follow my sewing adventure at http://lasewist.blogspot.com/
"You get what you get and you don't get upset."...Carly Petersen
Bunbun5

Return to General Sewing