Just call me obsessed

Discussions about general sewing

Just call me obsessed

Postby Jenny Jo » January 15th, 2017, 4:23 pm

So I've made two more bags. The first is the Necessary Clutch Wallet by Emmaline Bags. I joined the FB group and eventually was worn down by all the beautiful wallets those ladies were making. I bought the pattern and followed advice from those in the group as well as Jean the Jellyroll Queen's Youtube videos. In the end, I made at least 8 design changes to the pattern, most of them following detailed instructions written by someone else. :wink: I did make one change all my own; I anchored the d-rings for the strap into the accordion fold because I know I will most often use the wallet with the cross-body strap, and I thought it would wear better if the d-rings were close to the edge and oriented upward.

I've observed that a lot of people struggle to get the flap and the lock straight and centered, so I was very careful about lining things up, paying more attention to centers than edges. I'm super thrilled with how it turned out, and I can see how people become "addicted" to this pattern!

Bunny suggested those Chicago screws, and they are awesome! I was so worried about punching holes in my pristine wallet, but I practiced on scraps and then just went for it. Loooooooove them! (Get a leather punch tool if you're planning on using this hardware; it made it so easy.) I admit that I've been crowing all weekend about this wallet. My DH said, "Well you certainly can't call yourself a beginning sewist anymore!" :sewing: :D

The second bag is the Beatle Bag by Abbey Lane Quilts. I made this one while I was waiting for the hardware for the wallet to arrive. A couple gals in my smocking guild have made these lately, and I was envious. And I was able to buy it from a local quilt shop, and that made me happy. Now that I've made one, I'm kinda over it. Both the NCW and the tote bag that I made recently are quality patterns designed by people who know what they're doing. This one, not so much. My smocking friends had already told me about how the pattern says to bind (the somewhat oval-shaped) bag with straight-cut, not bias, binding. Even I know that won't work. That made me suspicious of the rest of the instructions. The only other thing I really didn't like was the circular ring on the closure. I think a square or rectangular one would work better.

I didn't have quite enough of the viewfinder fabric for the cover, so I pieced it and added a monogram to the solid bit so that it would look deliberate. Do you see my first attempt at free motion quilting?! :P (And on a not-very-related note, you would not believe how hard it is to find a ME monogram where all three letters look decent when they are the same letter of the alphabet. Either all three are exactly the same [boring!], or some letter is getting so squished that it looks like a different letter of the alphabet entirely.)

I added velcro flaps to the pockets so that things wouldn't fall out when tipped on the side for carrying. But I didn't make the flaps the whole width of the pocket so that I could fit full-sized scissors in there (upside-down) and let the tips of the scissors stick out the top. (The pockets were designed specifically to fit a rotary cutter.) I do like it a whole lot better than the pencil case that I was using to carry needles and floss for my on-the-go smocking projects.

Edited to add: If you're interested in more details, I reviewed both these patterns at pattern review. NCW and Beatle Bag
Jenny Jo
Jenny Jo

Re: Just call me obsessed

Postby Rosieq » January 15th, 2017, 5:40 pm

Jenny Jo, I am still on very the moon over your fabric! Great work on the bags. You do such a nice job...will one of your daughters do a bag for a state fair entry?

PS is it as bad as the news says on the interstate. We saw that fiery crash on the interstate with a semi. My niece and family sat on the interstate just shortly before New Years Day. You are certainly getting it!

Have fun with your newfound love...bags!!
Life is a garden, Good friends are the flowers,
And times spent together, Life's happiest hours.....

http://pinterest.com/intherosegarden/
http://www.linda-thisnthatintherosegarden.blogspot.com/
Rosieq

Re: Just call me obsessed

Postby Bunbun5 » January 17th, 2017, 6:13 pm

You have officially become an NCW addict. Welcome to the club. That's a really interesting closure. I like it. I could see where a square shape would echo the quilting lines, etc but it is really nice with the circle. You need to hit the thrift shops. I now have tons of these big hardware pieces for bagmaking at really small money. Check out the belts. Great hardware there too.

These two bags are great. My next project will be another bag as well. Can't wait to start and you certainly have nspired us all.
Follow my sewing adventure at http://lasewist.blogspot.com/
"You get what you get and you don't get upset."...Carly Petersen
Bunbun5

Return to General Sewing