My new gym bag

Discussions about general sewing

My new gym bag

Postby angelalee511 » August 18th, 2016, 6:42 am

This was a Craftsy class that I bought a while back and just now got around to watching it. I liked the class quite a bit and learned a lot about bag making. I did not like, however, how she inserted the lining. It wasn't wrong, I just liked the way Amy Butler does them. So I constructed the outer bag and lining separately and hand stitched the lining to the zipper. I thought this was going to be a bit large for the gym, but once I got my change of clothes in it, I realized I was going to need the size.
DSC_0461.JPG
DSC_0461.JPG (180.69 KiB) Viewed 2395 times

All of the hardware except the magnetic snaps came from The Ohio Travel Bag Company. I had the zipper on hand.

I found the lining fabric locally at Fabrika. The outer fabric is home dec from Joann's.
DSC_0463.JPG
DSC_0463.JPG (156.81 KiB) Viewed 2395 times

There were 2 choices for the outer pockets. I chose the pleated style. It gives me more room for my work out gloves.
DSC_0464.JPG
DSC_0464.JPG (154.88 KiB) Viewed 2395 times

I'm not as happy with my fabric choices after completion as I was when I bought it. :rotflo: I still don't have that knack like some of you.
angelalee511

Re: My new gym bag

Postby nonie » August 18th, 2016, 11:37 am

I am loving the bags and wallets we are seeing here. You are some talented people. I love this bag Angela, I hope my kids do not find out people can make bags and just keep on buying them :rotflo: They actually look hard to me.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby KathyD » August 19th, 2016, 3:15 am

What a great looking bag!!! I know lots of girls that would be thrilled with a bag like that. Maybe I should give them a try! Or, maybe I should just stick to kids clothes. :rotflo: :rotflo: :rotflo: Your bag really tempts me to venture out though. So cute!

Kathy
KathyD

Postby Rosieq » August 19th, 2016, 5:20 am

I like your bag. It is nice to have them nice and big for all the things we need in a bag...considering shoes, towels, etc....

A pleated pocket is nice. Just a question...workout gloves, when do you use them. I have a hard time getting gloves on on the coldest days, let alone in the gym. :rotflo: You are so dedicated.

Great work!
Linda
Life is a garden, Good friends are the flowers,
And times spent together, Life's happiest hours.....

http://pinterest.com/intherosegarden/
http://www.linda-thisnthatintherosegarden.blogspot.com/
Rosieq

Postby jsm » August 19th, 2016, 5:59 am

Fabulous bag! Love all the details and pretty colors. That might almost make me enjoy going to the gym!! :)

Jan M.
jsm

Postby angelalee511 » August 19th, 2016, 6:04 am

Thank you all for the sweet comments.

Linda, they are fingerless gloves that have velcro on the top so they can be adjusted. They really help keep the calluses off my hands. I don't like those. :)
angelalee511

Postby Rosieq » August 19th, 2016, 10:19 am

That makes sense!! And, obviously, I don't have that problem....and, I think that should be a Labor Day resolution...to work out more at the gym. I miss the cycle thing I was using at PT.

Linda
Life is a garden, Good friends are the flowers,
And times spent together, Life's happiest hours.....

http://pinterest.com/intherosegarden/
http://www.linda-thisnthatintherosegarden.blogspot.com/
Rosieq

Postby niener » August 22nd, 2016, 11:33 am

Angela, how beautiful! I just love that an exercising dynamo like you has a pink gym bag!! I don't use gloves and those callouses are my war scars!! :rotflo:
Jerry

A smile is a light in the window of your face to show your heart is at home.
Anonymous
niener

Postby KarenVA » August 22nd, 2016, 1:58 pm

It's perfect!!! I love all of the details--and the fabric is really pretty!!
KarenVA
"We cannot do great things, we can only do little things with great love." Mother Teresa
KarenVA

Postby genniewren » August 24th, 2016, 12:59 am

It's pink, of course I love it.

You did a great job with the bag Angela. Did you use home décor fabric or is it regular quilting cotton?
genniewren

Postby angelalee511 » August 24th, 2016, 3:09 am

Genine, The outer fabric is home dec and the lining is cotton.
angelalee511

Postby Bunbun5 » October 21st, 2016, 5:31 pm

Somehow I missed this Angela, It's wonderful and you did a great job. Did the pattern come with the Craftsy class? Who was the teacher?

I think you would really like Janelle Mackay's Clutch class. She teaches so much that was new to me. One of the best things I learned was how to punch out nice square corners when you turn a pocket or flap. She really gets into the interfacings as well. Did your teacher? I may be interested in your class next time I can get a good deal. Which class was it?

I am curious what you don't like about your fabric choices. I think they are lovely. But almost every time I make a bag I come up with a better combo half way through and its too late too change. I haven't yet gotten to the point where my vision is strong enough to please me all the way through construction. In the end I like my results but I always seem to think that if I had picked out something different it would have come out better, Bagmaker's Remorse, right?
Follow my sewing adventure at http://lasewist.blogspot.com/
"You get what you get and you don't get upset."...Carly Petersen
Bunbun5

Postby angelalee511 » October 24th, 2016, 8:07 am

Thank you, Bunny. The class is The Weekend Duffle by Betz White. And yes the pattern comes with the class; although the only printed pieces are the ends. All the other pieces are rectangular shapes, the dimensions for which are in the class materials.

She does not talk a lot of about interfacings - only the two she recommends for the class which is SF101 by Pellon and fusible fleece. The one thing I thought might not be correct was fusing the fusible fleece to the whole fabric piece rather than just inside the 1/2" seam allowances to reduce the bulk. I had no problem stitching it because it wasn't all that thick. But if I were to make this again, I would cut out those 1/2" seam allowances and fuse the 101 over it to be sure it stays in place.

Definitely wait for it to go on sale. But honestly, I'm not sure you would learn much more from this class than you already know. I learned how to make both the pleated and bellows pockets, the corner patches and the padded handle grip. Everything else is very basic. I absolutely did not like the way she stitched the lining to the main fabric and wound up "setting" my lining in and hand stitching it to the zipper. I opted not to make the slide in bottom stabilizer. The way she inserts this is the reason she stitches the lining like she does. It's hard to explain but you wouldn't like it either. LOL I have since found this tute which I think I may try on the next one. http://nicolemdesign.blogspot.ca/2010/06/bag-base-tutorial-for-peltex-or.html. I like this way much better.

As for my fabric, I liked it in the store and liked them together but I wasn't thinking ahead about the contrast and how different the colors would be on the straps because the pattern was so large. Plus the main fabric pattern was also very large and kind of gets lost as a result. So yes, bagmaker's remorse. :rotflo:

I think I may try the clutch class just for the reasons you mention. I was pretty happy with my corners because I used Nancy's method of pillow corners. But my flaps could use some help. And I want to make a diaper bag, so it would be helpful to have the trick for that. :)
angelalee511

Postby Bunbun5 » October 28th, 2016, 5:06 pm

Angela, I love Nicole Mallielieu's bags, knowledge and books. She REALLY knows her stuff. I learned that bag bottom trick, probably from her web page, a long time ago and have used it many times. I took it a step further and used it to interface sides that wouldn't take a fusible interfacing. It's a great technique. I highly recommend her book on bag making. It is the best out there. I think I have read them all at this point.

None of the bag patterns I have seen suggest removing the interfacing from the seam allowances. Actually, Emmaline's did that for one step in the cluth process, if I remember right. I take it out of all my interfacing. It reduces the bulk bigtime which then makes for much better topstitching. I've yet to see a pattern where it would make more sense if you left it isn. So take it out. I'm right there with you.

I've discovered I like contrast in the bags as well. It's what really shows off the details and the fabrics better, IMO. I happened to see a page full of Stella bags once I was halfway through mine. So of course there were amazing fabric combinations that I would have loved. But in the end, I like my bag and I like yours very much as well. Very nice work.
Follow my sewing adventure at http://lasewist.blogspot.com/
"You get what you get and you don't get upset."...Carly Petersen
Bunbun5

Postby lexie » October 30th, 2016, 11:13 pm

Beautifully neat sewing, Angela. Love the fabrics too.
Lexie
lexie

Return to General Sewing