Microwavable Hot Pad Bowls

Discussions about general sewing

Microwavable Hot Pad Bowls

Postby angelalee511 » August 8th, 2014, 4:02 am

These are Christmas gifts and one set for a wedding. My dh doesn't think these make an appropriate wedding gift. What say you?? There are 4 bowls, 2 hot pad, and 2 hot pads with finger holds.

IMG_1906.JPG
IMG_1906.JPG (113.8 KiB) Viewed 919 times

I finally bought the pattern for the bowls, because I just didn't like the free patterns circulating on the web. I have to say it was well worth the $9. She gives you little tips along the way that help make these look fabulous. A little more labor intensive, but it really produces a better product.

Since my MIL is a Georgia Bulldog fan, I found some like colored chevron to match a GA fabric I had in my stash. The ones to the far right match some shopping bags I made for Rob's aunt last year. Same fabric from stash. The 2 pair in the rear were made using some fabric my MIL had given me on our last trip. It is vintage fabric that had a great look and feel. So my total cost on all of these was about $25. Can't beat that! I think the bias I bought was more than the fabric. :roll: I should have made it from stash too. :rotflo:

IMG_1913.JPG
IMG_1913.JPG (153.18 KiB) Viewed 919 times
angelalee511

Re: Microwavable Hot Pad Bowls

Postby jsm » August 8th, 2014, 7:27 am

They look great!
You are so wise to start early. I bought that pattern a couple of years ago. Finally decided to use it last Christmas for gifts. Started too late, and simply could not finish the number needed for extended family. I was doing the scalloped version, which does seem to take longer! That was when I made a quick trip to Ikea and copied Jerry's wonderful monogrammed kitchen towels. I should probably go dig out the unfinished hot pads and finish them for this year!

My plan for Christmas was to include either a bowl that would fit the hot pads, or a jar of gourmet soup. Since I was using mostly sewing room remnants, I had not invested much in the project at all. World Market and Pier One have inexpensive cute and colorful bowls that can be used in the microwave. I planned on matching them to the various fabrics.

Maybe if you add a bowl, a couple of wooden spoons, or other kitchen utensils, your husband would think it is more appropriate for a wedding gift.

Jan M.
jsm

Postby ShirleyC » August 8th, 2014, 8:07 am

Those look great! I think it's something they would use for a long time. My friend makes those bowls, and they are really neat. I've been too lazy to make some for myself, but I really need to do that.
ShirleyC

Postby nonie » August 8th, 2014, 9:14 am

Those look great! I think jan has a good idea of adding just a few things especially wooden spoons. I kid you not I added some wooden spoons to a gift last Christmas and the gal went nut's over the spoons, saying she had been meaning to buy some and just kept putting if off :D
Maybe I need to look into this.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby angelalee511 » August 8th, 2014, 4:57 pm

Great idea Jan! Thank you.

Shirley, I made some for myself last year when Jan posted hers. We love them. Go for it.

Nonie, you can use scraps. When you are buying fabric for quilts, get a smidge extra and save it for these if you don't have enough scraps.
angelalee511

Postby nana judy » August 8th, 2014, 7:21 pm

I like these bowls. Great job.
Judy
nana judy

Postby Bunbun5 » August 11th, 2014, 3:06 pm

I think these make a great gift. I would maybe add a really nice stoneware or handcrafted bowl/casserole as well. I would love to have a gift like this.
Follow my sewing adventure at http://lasewist.blogspot.com/
"You get what you get and you don't get upset."...Carly Petersen
Bunbun5

Postby angelalee511 » August 12th, 2014, 4:32 am

Thank you all for the feedback and sweet comments.
angelalee511

Postby wanda45 » August 12th, 2014, 7:30 am

I think I see some Christmas gifts in the making..... :D :D :D Thank you for the idea. Yours look wonderful
wanda45

Postby sewmuchstyle » August 12th, 2014, 7:52 am

They are awesome!
They make awesome gifts for someone who has a camper also!
Your Talent is GOD'S Gift to You!
What you do with it is Your Gift to GOD!

Way down south in Louisiana
Robin ~ sewmuchstyle
http://www.myspace.com/sewmuchstylellc
www.myspace.com/myladyvantel
sewmuchstyle

Postby minnie63 » August 21st, 2014, 9:21 pm

I don't know your :? husband, but he's wrong, wrong!!!! I'd love having things like that!

:sewing:
Life is good.
minnie63

Postby angelalee511 » August 22nd, 2014, 3:14 am

wanda45 wrote:I think I see some Christmas gifts in the making..... :D :D :D Thank you for the idea. Yours look wonderful
This was Jan's idea last year that I borrowed. :rotflo:

minnie63 wrote:I don't know your :? husband, but he's wrong, wrong!!!! I'd love having things like that!

:sewing:
:rotflo: :rotflo: Thank you!

Robin that's a great idea. Hadn't thought of camping.
angelalee511

Postby Rosieq » August 22nd, 2014, 5:32 am

First: wedding gifts have went crazy, just as the weddings have! But, I think the set would be lovely, especially with some bowls and the jar of gourmet soup....or the utensils.

And, Jan, I know now what those extended gifts will be....thank you, the bowls and the soup packages one buys in the gift shops! Thanks!
Linda

Life is a garden, Good friends are the flowers,
And times spent together, Life's happiest hours.....

http://pinterest.com/intherosegarden/
http://www.linda-thisnthatintherosegarden.blogspot.com/
Rosieq

Postby terrib » September 1st, 2014, 6:22 am

I love love your bowls and am ordering pattern to make some for our house! Yours are very classy and will make wonderful gifts!
Hope it's a blessed day for everyone! Terri
terrib

Postby genniewren » September 5th, 2014, 8:06 am

They look great to me.

One lady I know did "Spaghetti Dinner" packs for gifts for the lodge wives one year. She filled a colander (drainer/sieve) with an embroidered apron, tea towel and potholder, wooden spoons, a pack of spaghetti and a jar of premium spaghetti sauce, then packaged it all nicely with a big bow. She said she got more compliments that year than she had ever had before.

Then again I workws with a woman (the one I got in the Secret Santa the other year) who said if anyone gave her anything kitchen related as a gift she would give it straight back. I had made her an apron from Sivje's pattern and had to go and buy her some face cream instead.

So... you never know!

I think your gifts are wonderful and I would love one! lol. (not sure that is particularly helpful to you!).
genniewren

Next

Return to General Sewing