Need a new tutorial on embroidery on knits!

Machine Embroidery

Moderator: ShirleyC

nonie

Need a new tutorial on embroidery on knits!

Post by nonie »

such a needy person. I have not done a t-shirt in forever. a update would be good.
JerryR

Re: Need a new tutorial on embroidery on knits!

Post by JerryR »

Nonie, I just appliqued a knit shirt. And I've done three monogrammed tees recently. My method works for me, and others would probably not agree with it, but we all have different takes on things. :D

After seeing what size the design will be, I add 1-2" to both the Length and Width of the design and cut a piece of fusible no-show mesh that size. I then find the center of the shirt by pressing the shirt in half vertically matching the shoulders, underarms, and hem. I open it out and will have a vertical pressed line running from the crew neck band to the hem. I like for my designs to start 1 - 1/14" below the crew neck, or neck band on the shirts if it is for a girl. So I find the center of the height of the design, add 1 - 1 1/4" to that and mark that as the vertical center where I want the design to be. I then press the fusible no-show mesh to the area where the embroidery will stitch, allowing that extra inch in all directions. (You can find the center of that cut piece of no-show mesh by folding vertically and then horizontally.) Press that well to the back of the shirt. Then I like to hoop the shirt with a tear away stabilizer so the hoop can catch it all around. After stitching, I remove the tear away, then trim back the fusible no-show mesh to about 1/4" away from the stitching, and press it very well. It is not hard to lift the edges to trim. Then I press a nylon tricot like interfacing over the no-show mesh to cover the knots and thread ends so they won't be rough next to the child's skin. Some people buy what is called "cloud cover" to do that, but I find just regular tricot interfacing works brilliantly. I cut it about 1/4"" larger than the no-show mesh and press it well.
Maybe you can see all this in the attached picture.
Attachments
back of applique.jpg
back of applique.jpg (102.56 KiB) Viewed 2294 times
nonie

Post by nonie »

Oh thank you so much. such a cute outfit. I still have a lot of no show mesh left.
ShirleyC

Post by ShirleyC »

I use a lot of the no show mesh on white shirts, but I float the shirt. I pin a template on the shirt where I want it to be, and then I hoop the stabilizer, Match the lines on the template to the hoop lines. I spray the stabilizer and lay the shirt on top matching the lines. Then I pin around the edges or use painter's tape to hold the shirt out of the way. (single needle machine)
I buy Fuse so Soft at my sewing center to iron over the stabilizer.
Shirley Clark
North Louisiana!
Angela

Post by Angela »

I'm glad you asked this question since an applique on a knit shirt is in my que.
Angela Lee
Pooler, GA