Diaper Bag & accessories

Discussions about general sewing

Re: Diaper Bag & accessories

Postby sewmuchstyle » February 5th, 2010, 6:27 pm

Kathy,
This bag is Exquisite!!! I Love the color combinations also!!!
Fantastic job!!!!!!
Your Talent is GOD'S Gift to You!
What you do with it is Your Gift to GOD!

Way down south in Louisiana
Robin ~ sewmuchstyle
http://www.myspace.com/sewmuchstylellc
www.myspace.com/myladyvantel
sewmuchstyle

Postby NAF » February 9th, 2010, 9:09 pm

Kathy,

I know that my dd had several diaper bags going at any one point. She got a few different ones at her shower and even bought another one. She seems to use a different one depending on where she is going and how long she is going to be out. I am sure your dd will love this one and get great use out of it. It also looks like a bag that will grow with the baby. Can't you just see her toting things to the beach or dance class in that bag.

Nancy F.
NAF

Postby KathyD » February 10th, 2010, 4:43 am

Thanks for all the encouragement. :) She was over again yesterday and was talking about the "cute" diaper bag that she has on her list. :roll: She may well have 2 of them.

Thanks for the tip on the expensive designer bags Nancy - I found them online - wow - expensive!

Kathy
KathyD

Postby Smockette » February 13th, 2010, 6:49 pm

Everything is so pretty and those colors are exquisite. No bag could be more perfect than this one.

Bunny
Smockette

Postby mytreasuredheirlooms » February 16th, 2010, 2:20 pm

Kathy, she will love it. A mom always needs more than one diaper bag depending on how long of a trip. on short trips I carried one that only had a few things in it, on longer outings I carried one that had everything but the kitchen sink in it, lol.
Annastasia

My blog
mytreasuredheirlooms.com
mytreasuredheirlooms

Postby mytreasuredheirlooms » February 16th, 2010, 2:22 pm

oh and Kathy, you have to tell us what she thinks of your bag when she gets it.
Annastasia

My blog
mytreasuredheirlooms.com
mytreasuredheirlooms

Postby Hettielynn » February 16th, 2010, 6:13 pm

Wow! I don't think she can top this. I bet her "perfect" diaper bag didn't come with all these accessories. I love the fabric and all the little extra you've thought to include. Has she had the shower yet and did she absolutely LOVE this bag?
Hettie Lynn
Hettielynn

Postby ShirleyC » February 17th, 2010, 10:36 am

I don't know how I missed this. It is just perfect. You must sew 24/7. You DD should be so happy with all of the things you have made.
ShirleyC

Postby KathyD » February 17th, 2010, 11:14 am

Thanks everyone! I have made so many gifts for this baby. LOL! I think I'm going to have to save this gift for the next shower (on the 27th) because I've wrapped so many gifts already for Sunday and I'm using some of the outfits that I've made for decorations. I'll give this bag and a few of the pretty daygowns I've made for the next shower. :P

Kathy
KathyD

Postby sew4me » February 19th, 2010, 12:38 am

Kathy,
I would like to know more about the wet bag that you made for the bag.
I am making my daughter a diaper bag and want to include one for her.
Last edited by sew4me on February 19th, 2010, 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sew4Me
sew4me

Postby KathyD » February 19th, 2010, 4:16 am

For the wet bag, I looked up sizes online - what size they were selling on Etsy. I ended up making it about 9" x 12" (well, that's the size I cut the rectangles). I made the outside out of the fashion fabric and the inside out of PUL fabric - that's the plastic fabric that's used for the outside of all in one diapers. I managed to find this at Hancock's. for the sewing, I found that it worked to pin the zipper with the right side of the zip to the right side of the fabric, baste, then put the right side of the PUL fabric to the wrong side of the zip (sandwiching the zip between the fabric pieces) and stitch again right on the previous stitch lines. Then repeat for the other side.

Then, unzip about 2/3rds of the way open. With right sides together of the PUL fabric (don't use pins - it puts holes in the plastic), stitch all the way around it beginning and ending at the zip. Do the same for the fashion fabric, leaving about a 6" opening so that you can turn the fabric. Then turn bag to the right sides so that it looks like it's supposed to. At this point you either hand whip the opening closed, or you can do an edge stitch along the bottom edge (catching only the fashion fabric and not the PUL fabric). I chose to do the edge stitch since this will get washed a lot.

Even coming up with my own directions, it only took me about 1 hour to figure it out, embroider the front and sew the bag. It was really quick. Hope these make sense. :)

Kathy
KathyD

Postby sew4me » February 19th, 2010, 11:04 am

Kathy,
Thanks for the directions for the wet bag. I will try to run to Hancocks on my lunch hour this evening to find some.
I was wondering what you used to make it waterproof that was easier to sew.
Sew4Me
sew4me

Postby KathyD » February 19th, 2010, 11:32 am

Yep - this stuff works well. And, it's rubbery (sort of) on one side, but more fabricy on the other, so it doesn't "stick" to the bed of the machine while you're trying to sew it. :) I discovered it when I was making the baby diapers. They told me at Hancock's that they usually carry it - however, the other Hancocks in town doesn't carry it - it's being "test marketed" at some of the stores. You may want to call before going in. It's either called PUL or PLU cloth. But if you tell them it's for diaper making, they will know what you're looking for if they carry it. :)

Kathy
KathyD

Postby nonie » November 11th, 2017, 6:55 pm

I am bring this topic back to the top, it is such an inspiration. I think the girls would love something like this.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby KarenVA » November 12th, 2017, 9:27 am

It’s just wonderful, Kathy!!! No worries—she’ll run to return the one she bought!! I love the fabric you chose and all of the accessories are so perfect!!!

I just realized that this is an older post—but, gosh, it’s truly amazing work!!!
KarenVA
"We cannot do great things, we can only do little things with great love." Mother Teresa
KarenVA

PreviousNext

Return to General Sewing