Diaper Bag & accessories

Discussions about general sewing

Diaper Bag & accessories

Postby KathyD » February 4th, 2010, 4:49 pm

I finished up the diaper bag this morning - it was quite the project! I think that the fabric/linings had 35+ pieces to the pattern (actually, no pattern pieces, just measurements to cut) and the interfacing was another 25+ pieces. I didn't think I'd ever finish cutting! The instructions were wonderful. I had a question near the end and emailed the designer - I heard back from her within a couple hours. Great customer service. The pattern is called the "Professional Tote" from http://www.thecreativethimble.com

There are plenty of pockets both front and back - the back pocket has a magnetic snap. I hadn't tried one of those before and the first one I put on I did backwards. :oops: So, more cutting, etc.

Inside are even more pockets - the center pocket zips as well. On the side that isn't showing, there's another pocket as well as a key fob.

Then I finished up a kleenex pouch and a sanitizer pouch that match as well. The only thing left to make for this ensemble is a wet bag. Maybe I'll sort that one out tonight or tomorrow. :)

I made the first sanitizer pouch and realized that in my frustration I had put my initial on it instead of hers! So, I made another one. My frustration came from the phone call right after I got home today - she had just come back from the baby store and had found the perfect diaper bag!!! :roll: :roll: :roll: Now what? Can't return mine and I've spent at least $50 and 3 days working on it. UGH! Maybe she'll like mine just as well. I guess I'll find out at the shower.

Kathy
KathyD

Re: Diaper Bag & accessories

Postby Ginger » February 4th, 2010, 7:12 pm

Great job Kathy. I would have loved that when my son was born. She just thinks she found the perfect diaper bag because she hasn't seen The Perfect Diaper Bag that you made. Sounds like she's cloth diapering, yeah! What's a sanitizer bag?
Ginger

Postby faithkep » February 4th, 2010, 9:22 pm

That is just too pretty for a diaper bag! I love, love, love this bag! Beautiful fabrics you used. I would never guess this to be anything less than a designer bag. Wish I had one. In another few years I may need one for my diapers!...Lynn
faithkep

Postby moon » February 4th, 2010, 10:46 pm

Kathy,the bag is stunning!I like all the pockets and the room. When she sees it she will
KNOW she has the perfect bag!
moon

Postby nonie » February 4th, 2010, 11:35 pm

Oh Kathy she has not found the perfect diaper bag because she hasn't seen it yet. The one you made is the perfect one and she will love it, everything coordinated and special wow.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby SewingForAll » February 5th, 2010, 12:17 am

Kathy, The diaper bag is beautiful.!!. She will love it and it will be the 'perfect' bag!!
SewingForAll

Postby oMA56 » February 5th, 2010, 12:51 am

Kathy, I love this bag! Great choice of fabric! I am sure you DD will love it when she see it! I have had this pattern for a couple of years and haven't made it yet! (must be all those pattern pieces you have to cut out?) But I am thinking it would be a great vacation bag. Maybe If I start it now I'll have it completed by the time I go on vacation in June!
Shirley R
oMA56

Location: baby lock Ellageo & BNT10 (Enterprise) North Carolina

Postby sew4me » February 5th, 2010, 2:03 am

What a great bag! she will love it. One can never have too many diaper bags I say.
I bought my daughter one for Xmas, she went with me to pick out, a Vera Bradley.
I still have fabric to make her 2 more , an Amy Butler one and one from some Mola fabric for fun.
And we are still looking for one for her husband o carry that is more masculine.

Of course we are bag people. :rotflo: My mom got me started using cloth bags and now my daughter is indoctrinated.
Sew4Me
sew4me

Postby love to stitch » February 5th, 2010, 4:47 am

Kathy, the bag is beautiful and the accessories are great.
Carol

Laughter is timeless, Imagination has no age, and Dreams are forever. - Walt Disney
love to stitch

Postby Linda in NM » February 5th, 2010, 4:56 am

What an awesome bag with all those accessories! Just PERFECT!
Linda in NM
Linda in NM

Postby KathyD » February 5th, 2010, 5:02 am

Thanks for all the compliments. :) I feel better about it this morning. I was pretty bummed yesterday after her phone call. :? I'll make that "wet" bag today.

I'd love to have one of these for myself, but I'll probably wait a bit before tackling this one again. :rotflo: I am very happy with how it turned out.

Ginger - the sanitizer pouch is the little thing in the last picture that wraps around the little hand sanitizer bottles. I put a ribbon tab on it so that she could hang it from her key chain or the key fob inside. You know how you can never find those things when they are floating around in the bottom of the bag! :rotflo:

Kathy
KathyD

Postby grammylou » February 5th, 2010, 6:50 am

Kathy the bag is beautiful! I would have been heartbroken receiving that phone call! I agree with the others, though. She hasn't yet SEEN the perfect diaper bag.

Lynn you made me laugh out loud that you would be wanting one for your diapers! :rotflo: :rotflo: :rotflo:
Laurie
grammylou

Postby LauraJ » February 5th, 2010, 12:05 pm

This is so beautiful! I was thinking I should make one like this for my SIL until I read the part about over 60 pieces to cut! Yikes! That would take me forever. You will have to let us know what she thinks about it when she receives it.
LauraJ

Postby lindastein7 » February 5th, 2010, 4:57 pm

Kathy the bag is beautiful. I'm sure this will be "The" bag when she sees it. I've had that pattern for a few years and was put off because of all the
pieces.
Linda
lindastein7

Postby HoltsSadie » February 5th, 2010, 5:00 pm

Kathy
It is just gorgeous and she is going to flip over this. What a pro job you have done on it. I love your fabric choices and all the accessories.
Don't be bummed, instead just chuckle to yourself and think ("You just THINK you've found the perfect bag, little mommy")
sara
HoltsSadie

Next

Return to General Sewing