Kathy D--question about button elastic for boys pants

Discussions about general sewing

Kathy D--question about button elastic for boys pants

Postby KarenVA » October 10th, 2017, 12:20 pm

I was reading your blog and saw the neat way to do the elastic on the waistband so the little one can wear them longer. How did you do that?
KarenVA
"We cannot do great things, we can only do little things with great love." Mother Teresa
KarenVA

Re: Kathy D--question about button elastic for boys pants

Postby niener » October 10th, 2017, 12:53 pm

Not Kathy, but I can tell you what I've seen in RTW. There is a buttonhole on the inside of the waist casing that has a small button sewn beside it on each side just at the side seam area. The elastic is run through the back waist area and comes out the buttonholes at each side seam. The buttonhole elastic has slits along the length, so if you pull it out farther, you can adjust the waist fit, snugging it up, and then put the slit of the elastic over the button just in front of where the elastic comes out the buttonhole. I hope that makes sense!
Jerry

A smile is a light in the window of your face to show your heart is at home.
Anonymous
niener

Postby KarenVA » October 10th, 2017, 1:10 pm

Thank you, Jerry!! I didn't even know you could buy button hole elastic!! What a great idea!!! Thanks for the instructions, too.
KarenVA
"We cannot do great things, we can only do little things with great love." Mother Teresa
KarenVA

Postby KathyD » October 10th, 2017, 5:06 pm

Yep - what Jerry said. I think there's 2 sizes of buttonhole elastic. If you decide to use it, the buttonholes look small, but because of stretch you need to use a larger button. My button was 5/8" although the holes look to be a scant 1/2". Also, don't interface the back of the waistband. :)

Kathy
KathyD

Return to General Sewing