Permanent markers for touch up on m. emb.

We all make mistakes and have mishaps while sewing. This is a place to share those 'oops'. Did you do a great save?
Need help to save an item?

Permanent markers for touch up on m. emb.

Postby Rettabug » September 14th, 2008, 8:03 am

I learned a good lesson yesterday....the HARD way! I had just finished embroidering this cute Raggedy Ann face on a white sweatshirt & used a damp towel to get rid of the blue wash away pen centering marks.
I then noticed that the white sweatshirt was peeking through the red in a couple of places. I use permanent markers to touch up such little open areas all the time, so thought nothing of doing it again.

Well, the little bit of moisture that was still in the sweatshirt from the marks must have wicked the red perm. marker off into the white area!

I could have cried! I tried dabbing it with a dry Q-tip but managed to just spread it even farther.
I resorted to a bleach pen (THANK GOODNESS I used a white sweatshirt!!) & afterwards washed it out really well so it didn't eat holes in the shirt.

This morning I finished putting on her hair & the ruffles on the cuffs. Whew! Raggedy no longer looks like she has a cold. :rotflo:

I'm going to go back & trim her bangs so you can see her eyebrows & maybe give her a little more hair.
This is the second one of these I made. The first one was a lightweight t-shirt that Caroline has outgrown. This one will be for winter. :bigsmile:
Rettabug

Re: Permanent markers for touch up on m. emb.

Postby GaGa » September 14th, 2008, 9:01 am

So glad that you were able to save 'face'!!! Love that design!
GaGa

Postby grammylou » September 14th, 2008, 10:56 am

Wow ~ you did a great job fixing up Raggedy Ann's face! No one would ever know she had a cold! :sick: Laurie
Laurie
grammylou

Postby nonie » September 14th, 2008, 12:16 pm

What a cute sweatshirt, thank you for the tip on what can go wrong when using markers. I am so glad you were able to save it because it is going to be a favorite sweatshirt.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby SewingForAll » September 14th, 2008, 8:15 pm

Whew!! Great save! I love this sweatshirt, I know your little sweetie will love it!!
SewingForAll

Postby Hettielynn » September 15th, 2008, 10:32 am

I hope it will come out! I love the Raggedy Ann things. I just finished up 3 RA outfits but haven't taken pictures yet. I hope to do that soon and get them posted.
Hettie Lynn
Hettielynn

Return to Oops - Dang It!