A solution!! Agghh Part 3

We all make mistakes and have mishaps while sewing. This is a place to share those 'oops'. Did you do a great save?
Need help to save an item?

A solution!! Agghh Part 3

Postby mrsfstop » April 1st, 2008, 5:25 pm

Oh what a difference a day makes!

So I am doing alterations on the dress. If I open the shoulder seams I can take in enough of the front side seam to match the pipping to the shoulder seam and it actually FITS her!! Of course I have to do darts in the back too, and they will be "upside down" darts, but i don't care! It will fit her!!!

I must admit a very specific admiration to those of you that were sewing dresses off these patterns from 1960 and before!! Very minor ( and poor) instructions- that are frequently misleading- do you know the collar does even say to cut 4? And it completely left out the ties- if you're attaching those. My hats off to you ladies!!

Anyway... I will get these alterations done tonight- as her birthday is FRIDAY! Then I get to do buttons and button holes, and hems- another favorite of mine. I want to make the dresses and I want someone else to hem them and do the button holes and sew on the buttons!!!

Thought I would share my hopeful outlook with you. I've decided I'm not as crazy about the black cherry fabric as I was about the lt blue version of the same, but I'm not willing to part with it. I'm sure I'll find another pattern for it that works better.
Julia
Well behaved women, rarely make history- Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
mrsfstop

Re: A solution!! Agghh Part 3

Postby Hettielynn » April 1st, 2008, 6:43 pm

I'm glad you are finding a way to work out the problems with this cute little dress. I can't wait to see the finished dress. BTW, I hate to do hems, too!
Hettie Lynn
Hettielynn

Postby Goosegirl » April 1st, 2008, 9:48 pm

Hi Julia,
Great problem solving! :sewing:
I can't wait to see this little dress. Your adorable Zoe will look like a princess in it!
Goosegirl

Postby Smockette » April 3rd, 2008, 5:58 pm

Just found your saga. I am glad it is working out. That pattern is double darling too. She will be a doll in this when it is done.

Bunny
Smockette

Re: A solution!! Agghh Part 3- It's DONE!!

Postby mrsfstop » April 4th, 2008, 10:07 am

I finished the darn thing about an hour ago!!!

She has it on and it's not what I had in my head, but it still works. NOT my best effort, but that will have to wait until I have only 2 hands and not 8.
Pictures will be coming shortly- as soon as I can convince DH to take them and get them to me. I'll post here when I get them. Check back tonight...with any grace....they'll be here.
Julia
Well behaved women, rarely make history- Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
mrsfstop

Postby nonie » April 4th, 2008, 10:11 am

Good news the dress has come together. I think we all have times when we have to re-think the project. Am looking forward to pictures.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Return to Oops - Dang It!