Agghh! Part 2

We all make mistakes and have mishaps while sewing. This is a place to share those 'oops'. Did you do a great save?
Need help to save an item?

Agghh! Part 2

Postby mrsfstop » March 30th, 2008, 5:32 pm

The lavender dress on the pattern WAS the original dress. It was supposed to be the black cherry with red piping down the front and around the waist, but I did not plan to do the ties, a red collar and red cuffs on the black cherry sleeves....

So I've cut the neckline to a square neck and I want to bind it with a VERY thin binding ( 1/4" at best), but I can't get the corners to miter without getting a raw edge on the front side. I'm just about to take Goosegirl's advice and re cut the whole darn thing! Zo's birthday is next weekend!! I have 2 days this week to fix it. I need a fast and EASY fix. I thought about pipping the neck,but don't want to spend the time to make the facing, as I would be making the pattern for it, and I'm not sure I have the patience at this point ...Which brought me to the bound edge...

Any thoughts?
Attachments
_MG_0123.jpg
THIS IS THE PROBLEM i KEEP RUNNING INTO
_MG_0123.jpg (55.4 KiB) Viewed 761 times
_MG_0120.jpg
The changed neckline
_MG_0120.jpg (68.92 KiB) Viewed 761 times
_MG_0119.jpg
the original pattern
_MG_0119.jpg (39.52 KiB) Viewed 761 times
Julia
Well behaved women, rarely make history- Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
mrsfstop

Re: Agghh! Part 2

Postby Goosegirl » March 30th, 2008, 8:55 pm

Oh Julia, I LOVE this!!!! Cherries and a vintage pattern just can't lose!!!!

Ok, honest opinion though, I probably would make red piping and then cut a facing. I have never been successful mitering a corner with such teeny binding. Mine all look yucky. I don't think yours looks bad at all, but then I always am pickier of my own work than anyone else.

But this little dress will be so precious when it is done!!!! I am dying to see it. I love everything you make!
Goosegirl

Postby nonie » March 30th, 2008, 9:07 pm

I vote for doing piping and going the extra steps and doing a facing. The dress is so cute, and with the cherry fabric it is going to be darling.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby mrsfstop » March 31st, 2008, 5:47 pm

So I got the darn thing finished today and I'm SSSSOOOOOOooooooo beyond unhappy with it!!! It looks homemade to me. The waist is good on her and the length is good, but the shoulders are way too wide. I MIGHT make this pattern again, but not for a while . I need to cool off.

I'm going to open the side seam or the pipped seam and put in a sash. I think the sash needs to come from the front and go around the back. I hate to open the pipped seam, I don't own a pipping foot, so pipping is hard for me.

I don't know which is more frustrating... the snowflake suit or this darn thing!!!!
Julia
Well behaved women, rarely make history- Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
mrsfstop

Return to Oops - Dang It!