AAAGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

We all make mistakes and have mishaps while sewing. This is a place to share those 'oops'. Did you do a great save?
Need help to save an item?

AAAGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

Postby mrsfstop » March 28th, 2008, 11:34 am

So.. I bought a vintage Butterick pattern 'cause it was just TOO darn cute!!It would look so cute done up in the black cheery fabric I have like- 9 yrds of ( 'cause when we see cute cherries- we buy all of it!). I could see in my head exactly what I wanted to do for Zo's birthday ( April 4). I pulled everything out and thought I understood it all... no problem!

Only.. the waist was too high for my Girly ( 'cause we're giant people according pattern makers). No problem I altered the pattern for length. Then the chest was too wide ('cause apparently we're stick people too!). Not a problem- make the seams bigger. Then the neck was WAY too small ( Gee, I guess we're stick giants with football player necks). Not a problem. Cut the neck larger- re cut the collar- it will all work- EXCEPT while I'm cutting it larger I have it all pinned together so it won't slip and didn't see a pin, so i tried to cut over a pin with my REALLY good scissors, denting them, not realizing this I remove the pin. WHen I closed the scissors, I got mad and snipped them harder than i really wanted to, and... yes.... sliced into the front of the dress!!! :ranting:

So... I'm a little slow- it's at this point I realize there's no lining on this dress. It will need a slip. So not only am I now going to have to get creative to salvage this, but I have to make a slip to go under it, b/c all the slips she has are too long!!

:hair:
Julia
Well behaved women, rarely make history- Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
mrsfstop

Re: AAAGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

Postby Goosegirl » March 28th, 2008, 11:54 am

Oh Julia, I am so sorry!!!!!! I was afraid that you were going to say that when you closed the scissors you cut your finger. That is what usually happens to me. But since you have so much of the cherry fabric, can you just recut the dress making the changes you need to make? Now you totally have me wanting to see this dress. It sounds adorable!!!!

While the rest of us are short and cuddly (read, NOT thin), Ahnalin is tall and thin like your family. :mrgreen:
Goosegirl

Postby mrsfstop » March 28th, 2008, 2:45 pm

I could re cut it all, but that's time I don't really have- and i am so stinkin' frugal! I just know all this cute cherry fabric is going to go away in a few seasons and all I'll have is what I've stock piled- oh!! obsessed am I? I've re cut the neckline to a square, which is not what I wanted, but it will be fine. I just have to re arrange the pic in my head. Not always as easy as re cutting, is it?

I'll gladly post pics as soon as i can convince DH to leave me a camera or a card for my camera so i can get the pics! We've got Easter pics, but he is REALLY bad about getting them to me. I think I want a digital camera that directly uploads to the computer for my birthday....
Julia
Well behaved women, rarely make history- Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
mrsfstop

Postby nonie » March 28th, 2008, 4:03 pm

Oh dear, not a good sewing day :( I know you will save it and it will be adorable. :D
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Return to Oops - Dang It!