Darn butonholes

We all make mistakes and have mishaps while sewing. This is a place to share those 'oops'. Did you do a great save?
Need help to save an item?

Darn butonholes

Postby nonie » May 9th, 2017, 1:48 pm

Out of about 50 buttonholes I have made one nice one, one passable and a whole lot of flops. I have picked out more then I care to think about. I am now trying a different method and not using the automatic setting. we will see where this goes, possibly by tomorrow or maybe later I will try again.

Am I the only one messing up?
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Re: Darn butonholes

Postby angelalee511 » May 10th, 2017, 3:22 am

Is this on the Sapphire? I don't like the automatic button hole on this machine as much as my old one. I do them manually now just for that reason. They are either crooked, don't stop where they are supposed to or the stitches just look bad. Terrible on this machine!
angelalee511

Postby KathyD » May 10th, 2017, 4:43 am

How frustrating to have so many that you are unhappy with! I would cry. I have found that using a tear away stabilizer behind the buttonhole really helps. I also try and use a fine (60 wt.) thread when I can. I always interface the fabric where the buttons and buttonholes will be. If you're already doing all of that and are still unhappy, then manually doing them would be the best bed. Of course, I'd be hauling my machine to the dealer to have them show me a good buttonhole on the machine. I don't tolerate poor stitches on my machine very well. LOL!

I hope you can get this sorted out quickly.

Kathy
KathyD

Postby Karens Krafts » May 10th, 2017, 7:49 am

And yesterday I had to put the buttonholes on the dress for Emie. Seven of them! Practiced on scrap fabric, many times, finally got it where I thought it should be. First one immediately ripped out. I hate the buttonhole foot on my Viking Diamond, my little cheap Brother makes much better ones. BUT, I was too lazy to get it out and set it up. Lucky that the buttons hide a lot.
I'm with you Nonie......and I know it's because I didn't let that dress 'hang' for a while to get it ready for buttons & buttonholes. Dang!
Karen
Karens Krafts

Postby niener » May 10th, 2017, 8:43 am

Nonie, this makes me really sad for you. :( My Janome machines make such beautiful buttonholes. When I mess up a buttonhole, it's usually because I forgot to pull the lever down for the foot to stop on the automatic setting. In other words, it's ME instead of the machine. I would be pouting big time, and do as Kathy suggested: TAKE THAT MACHINE TO YOUR DEALER AND DEMAND TO SEE HOW TO MAKE A DECENT BUTTONHOLE. Did you hear me yelling? :rotflo: :rotflo: :rotflo:
Jerry

A smile is a light in the window of your face to show your heart is at home.
Anonymous
niener

Postby nonie » May 11th, 2017, 10:25 am

I would pack this thing up in a heart beat except I no longer have a dealer. I bought the machine because there would be a dealer in this area. Not only did the shop go out of business but the repairman (husband of shop owner) had a hart attack and died. :shock:

Yes, Angela, the machine is the 870 quilt Sapphire, I bought it mainly for the buttonhole attachment which worked for good during the demo. :(

So lots more practice before I try it on any clothes, you are right Karen, I did not let this outfit season long enough.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby Rosieq » May 11th, 2017, 11:21 am

Nonie, have you looked on you tube for specifically Sapphire buttonholes...might be a tute there and you are missing something so simple, as in Jerry's lever. I miss that one as well.
Linda

Life is a garden, Good friends are the flowers,
And times spent together, Life's happiest hours.....

http://pinterest.com/intherosegarden/
http://www.linda-thisnthatintherosegarden.blogspot.com/
Rosieq

Postby Karens Krafts » May 11th, 2017, 12:01 pm

If your machine has the same buttonhole attachment that mine does, I know that the little wheel needs to roll over flat fabric only. If there is a seam close by the buttonhole, that will knock it off the correct direction. The Brother machine has an attachment you put a button in, and it automatically make a buttonhole for that size button. Just lower the foot, and accelerate!!!! But I don't keep that machine set up. I may have to figure out a way to have it set up someplace. I did that for awhile. It's my traveling machine. For classes, and the RV.
Karen
Karens Krafts

Postby jsm » May 12th, 2017, 8:55 am

Nonie, unfortunately, I know your frustration too well.

I loved sewing on my Viking, and miss it terribly -- except for that dang automatic buttonhole foot! It is wonderful when stitching on flat fabric. It is the devil when trying to use it on a garment with adjacent seams or any extra bulk. That little wheel is a huge problem, in my opinon.

Unless I was able to make the buttonholes prior to attaching collars, neckbands or skirts, I made all my buttonholes with the manual foot. I am pretty sure several of us have previously discussed here techniques we use to keep the stitching as level as possible. Many of us use folded pieces of stabilizer or light cardboard under one side of the foot, to compensate for any bulk, i.e., that last buttonhole on a bodice or yoke next to the skirt seam, or the top buttonhole next to a collar or neck binding.

Definitely use stabilizer underneath the buttonhole, too. One plus for using stabilizer on the bottom: it's a little easier to rip out! I am able to slide my seam ripper between the stitches and stabilizer, with less fear of poking a hole in the fabric.

If it helps any, I don't believe there is a machine out there that does perfect buttonholes every time in all situations. I like certain aspects of my Bernina machine for buttonholes. But, I still make manual buttonholes in some areas. My older Pfaff was probably the easiest for making buttonholes, but I don't think the newer models have the same foot. My new Baby Lock has become my choice for making buttonholes lately. I held my breath yesterday when stitching one yesterday, close to a bulky seam. I did not turn blue, as it turned out perfect! But, that doesn't mean it will next time.

Try making samples with the manual foot. I probably make more test buttonholes, than real ones on any garment.
Jan M.
jsm

Postby nonie » May 12th, 2017, 11:14 am

Thank you Jan, I have been practicing manual buttonholes, some are okay. I need lot's of practice. I once read in a sewing magazine that you need to make 100 buttonholes before you have it down. Yes, there is one buttonhole up by the neckline which adds to the frustration. How do we feel about snaps?
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby Rosieq » May 12th, 2017, 3:09 pm

Nonie, did you notice my PM...perhaps it doesn't touch your issues.
Linda

Life is a garden, Good friends are the flowers,
And times spent together, Life's happiest hours.....

http://pinterest.com/intherosegarden/
http://www.linda-thisnthatintherosegarden.blogspot.com/
Rosieq

Postby nonie » May 12th, 2017, 3:46 pm

Yes Linda, thank you. It is very helpful information.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby angelalee511 » May 16th, 2017, 7:08 am

Nonie, I have the same machine and this machine is not as good as the older Vikings on buttonholes. I haven't liked this one from the day I bought it. When I buy another machine, that is the first thing I will check. I have used snaps in place of buttonholes on several garments. You can easily hide a snap at the neckline when you can't get the button hole right up there.

I use a tearaway stabilizer, because, as Jan said, it's easier to rip out the stitches. I lay my button down and mark the placement of the buttonhole. I also use pins so I know exactly where to stop and start (pins are easier to see than lines). I stitch rather slow so I can keep the fabric flat and feeding evenly under the foot. Using a thread that is nearly the same color as the fabric will disguise flaws in the buttonholes. But it also makes it harder to see to rip out. :rotflo: No one ever checks the buttonholes, so don't stress if they aren't perfect.
angelalee511

Postby nonie » May 18th, 2017, 10:28 am

Karen, I have the 'thing' you put a button in and it makes a buttonhole to fit, I think I used it on my Elna. A wonderful gadget.
Under perfect conditions the buttonhole maker on the Viking works, when is the condition perfect?
So, thanks to the tips here, I have been practicing doing my buttonholes manually. Angela, great tip using a pin, so hard to see a line. Funny, about the snaps. I asked Steve " whats wrong with snaps"? so I will not feel bad if it comes down to snaps.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby emilyb » May 18th, 2017, 12:26 pm

Coming out of lurkdom again!! You do have an embroidery machine, don't you?? Some of the nicest buttonholes I have made, particularly on difficult fabric, I have done with the embroidery machine.
I wish I could point you to the source that I have used. I have not embroidered a thing for 2 or 3 years but I am sure someone out there knows where to get downloads for buttonholes. I also thought that some machines had built-in embroidery buttonholes. They are consistent and especially easy if you can do several in one hooping.
Del
emilyb

Next

Return to Oops - Dang It!