dress with scissor cut

We all make mistakes and have mishaps while sewing. This is a place to share those 'oops'. Did you do a great save?
Need help to save an item?

dress with scissor cut

Postby grana » December 18th, 2006, 1:26 pm

I had finished a smocked bishop except for the hem. I put it in a bag with scissors to take to work on in the car. The scissors cut the dress right in the very front. What is the best way to fix the v shaped cut?
I had to make a whole new dress because it was a sold one. I'll fix the cut one for my grand.
Grana
grana

Postby nonie » December 18th, 2006, 2:44 pm

I was thinking bullion roses. If the hole is small enough the roses will cover it. Maybe make several and let them scatter all over the dress.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby grana » December 19th, 2006, 1:54 pm

The cut is about 2 inches below the last row of smocking about 1 inch off center right in the front. It is a v shape about 3/4 inch long. All I can think to do is try a small zig zag stitch and hope that it doens't show too much in the folds. The fabric is a tourquoise polka dot on blue that fades in and out. What should I put behind the fabric when I try to zig zag to hold it in place.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Grana
grana

Postby grana » December 21st, 2006, 8:20 am

Thanks to all of you for your wonderful suggestions. I used wonder-under to adhere a small piece of the fabric and it is hardly noticable. Happy Holidays to all. Mine is now happier because of your suggestions.
Grana
grana

Postby nonie » December 21st, 2006, 4:33 pm

So happy you got the problem solved. Look at all the great solutions to solving the problem. I know I am going to need a few in the future.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Return to Oops - Dang It!