How should I cut it?

We all make mistakes and have mishaps while sewing. This is a place to share those 'oops'. Did you do a great save?
Need help to save an item?

How should I cut it?

Postby Jenny Jo » July 17th, 2012, 2:01 pm

So I bought the fabric for a reverse knot dress a year ago. I must have bought only exactly what I needed. So after laundering and growth in children, my skirt is going to be 3 inches too short. I think that if I cut the fabric with the grain going sideways, I can just get enough. Is that quite kosher? Or should I just order more? The skirt pattern piece is a simple rectangle.
Jenny Jo
Jenny Jo

Re: How should I cut it?

Postby KathyD » July 17th, 2012, 2:44 pm

If you cut the skirts in the other direction, I'd cut any other pieces (from the same piece of fabric) in that same direction as well (cross wise grain instead of length wise grain). I've done this before - you have to do it for border prints and eyelet edging fabrics. :)

Kathy
KathyD

Postby Jenny Jo » July 17th, 2012, 8:26 pm

Thank-you, Kathy. That makes perfect sense when you mention the border fabric. Let me ask a follow-up question. I really don't have enough fabric to follow the pattern. But it's a gathered skirt. So if I can mostly preserve the length by skimping on the seam allowances, can I short the width by 6 inches? If my daughter is about 22 inches around her waist, and if the pattern calls for 80 inches, it would still fit okay if I only have 74 inches, right?
Jenny Jo
Jenny Jo

Postby KathyD » July 18th, 2012, 3:10 am

I would think that the narrower width would be fine. It is still quite full. Many off the rack dresses with gathered skirts aren't anywhere near as full as we often make them b ecause it saves them money.

Kathy
KathyD

Return to Oops - Dang It!