Bad luck with hot pads

We all make mistakes and have mishaps while sewing. This is a place to share those 'oops'. Did you do a great save?
Need help to save an item?

Bad luck with hot pads

Postby Suepriddy » June 25th, 2012, 11:01 am

I am not having great luck with my oven mitts and hot pads. They are much harder to make than I thought. I went ahead and finished them and I am using them as I spent so much time doing the embroidery on them to match my cuptowels. I don't think anyone will be asking me to make some for them. I am going to keep trying until I get it right.
Suepriddy
senior member
senior member
 
Posts: 649
Joined: June 3rd, 2012, 3:14 pm

Re: Bad luck with hot pads

Postby Rosieq » June 25th, 2012, 7:09 pm

If I remember, you used two layers of batting instead of the thermal stuff to use. I like the fleece and silver insulation better than the batting and a plain piece of insulation. Doing the bias tape can be a stinker....I like it plenty wide so I can catch it all...and use it cut on the bias and round your corners makes an easier application than making the mitered corners.

So what was your problem???

Rosieq
Linda

Life is a garden, Good friends are the flowers,
And times spent together, Life's happiest hours.....

http://pinterest.com/intherosegarden/
http://www.linda-thisnthatintherosegarden.blogspot.com/
Rosieq
senior member
senior member
 
Posts: 7128
Joined: February 21st, 2010, 7:22 pm
Location: NW Iowa

Re: Bad luck with hot pads

Postby Suepriddy » June 26th, 2012, 6:22 am

My first problem was that I didn't quilt the fabric to the batting on the oven mitt. Then I sewed it all wrong. I am matching the oven mitt and the hot pads to the cup towels that I am making - embroidering them with a baking motif. I didn't use bias on the oven mitt, just sewed it together and turned it right side out. It works great, just looks kinda deformed. I then decided to make the hot pads but quilted the fabrics to the batting and then added a pocket to slip my hand into. I really like it much better than the oven mitt. I didn't get the bias tape on very straight. I am using them and like the way they match the rest of the kitchen decorations. I can't find the thermal linning here in Mexico, so just use fabric and batting. I need to make several more and practice, practice, practice. This project is an "in-between" as I am trying to make a chausable and my six-piece summer wardrobe. I don't get much sewing on my summer wardrobe or baby clothes right now because the chausable takes so much time.
Suepriddy
senior member
senior member
 
Posts: 649
Joined: June 3rd, 2012, 3:14 pm


Return to Oops - Dang It!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest