Cream Cheese Stuffed Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Coffee Cake

Have a favorite recipe you would like to share?

Cream Cheese Stuffed Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Coffee Cake

Postby grammynan » February 15th, 2016, 5:25 pm

Cinnamon Walnut Streusel
1/2 cup walnuts
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tbl. cinnamon
4 tbls. cold butter, cubed

Banana Cake
2 1/4 cups flour
1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup butter softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup mashed bananas (about 2 large ripe bananas)
1 tbl. vanilla
1 1/4 cups sour cream (not non fat)
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped

Cream Cheese Filling
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup Reserved batter (see instructions)
1/4 cups sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

Vanilla Glaze
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tbls. milk

Garnish (optional)
Mini chocolate chips

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray all inside surfaces of a 10" nonstick tube pan with nonstick cooking spray WITH FLOUR or grease and flour the inside of your pan. Set aside.
2. Cinnamon Walnut Streusel: Add walnuts to your food processor and pulse 3 times. Add flour, brown sugar and cinnamon and pulse a few times to combine. Sprinkle cold butter over top and pulse until the walnuts are chopped and the mixture resembles small pebbles. (You may also combine in a bowl and cut butter in by hand). Set aside in the refrigerator.
3. Cake: In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
4. Using a stand or hand mixer, beat butter and sugar until fluffy on medium high speed, about 3 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time beating just until the yellow disappears after each egg. Mix in vanilla and bananas until just combined.
5. Gradually add flour mixture to banana/butter mixture in thirds, alternately with sour cream in between each third. Beat until just combined. Measure out 1/4 cup batter and set aside for cream cheese filling. Stir in chocolate chips and walnuts into remaining batter until just combined.
6. Measure out 1 cup batter (to top cream cheese layer) and spoon the rest of the batter into the prepared pan.
7. To your now empty mixing bowl, add 1/4 cup reserved batter, cream cheese, 1 tsp. vanilla and 1/4 cup sugar. Beat on medium speed until smooth and creamy, about 1 minute. Spoon Cream Cheese Filling over batter and gently smooth, but do not touch the sides of the pan. Spread reserved 1 cup batter evenly over filling (it will be very thin).
8. Tap pan on counter a few times to get rid of any air bubbles then sprinkle evenly with Cinnamon Walnut Streusel.
9. Bake for 55-60 minutes at 350 degrees or until toothpick inserted comes out clean (without inserting in cream cheese). Let baked cake cool on wire rack for 1 hour. Gently invert cake onto a baking sheet, remove pan, and invert back onto cooling rack streusel side up. Let cool to room temperature.
10. When ready to serve, whisk vanilla glaze ingredients together in a medium bowl and drizzle over cake. Sprinkle cake with mini chocolate chips.
11. Store in refrigerator for up to 7 days.
grammynan

Re: Cream Cheese Stuffed Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Coffee

Postby nana judy » February 15th, 2016, 5:45 pm

Sounds delicious!
Judy
nana judy

Postby grammynan » February 15th, 2016, 7:03 pm

Ohhhhh, it is Judy! I've made 3 of them so far and every time, people rave about it. It's not hard, just a few steps to it.

Nancy
grammynan

Postby jsm » February 16th, 2016, 7:48 am

Just gained 5 pounds reading this! Sounds delicious. I love bananas and chocolate together.

Will need to remember this for future uses! Thanks for sharing!
Jan M.
jsm

Postby nonie » February 16th, 2016, 1:12 pm

Jan, I agree, I also gained 5 pounds. How perfect this cake will be, I love it when I can come up with something different. Thank you so much!
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby grammynan » February 16th, 2016, 1:47 pm

Glad I could add to the weight gain :rotflo: :rotflo: .

Nancy
grammynan

Return to Recipes