Turkey Roasters

Have a favorite recipe you would like to share?

Turkey Roasters

Postby gmasuz1215 » September 29th, 2015, 3:28 pm

I guess this is the best place to post this. I want to get an electric roaster for the bird this Thanksgiving. I know Kathy D uses one so maybe she could respond. I need to roast a 20+lb turkey. What roaster would you recommend? I saw one at Walmart for about $50. Hamilton Beach and Oster. And Kathy, if you respond, can you tell me how you prepare and roast your turkey? My house gets so hot with the turkey roasting and I don't have a second oven for all the other dishes. Susan VH
gmasuz1215

Re: Turkey Roasters

Postby gmasuz1215 » September 29th, 2015, 4:20 pm

ttt
gmasuz1215

Postby KathyD » September 29th, 2015, 6:21 pm

I have a 35 year old Nesco roaster. It still works great. Dh always cooks the turkey, but I can give you the info I know (he's in Stockholm). He prepares the stuffing and stuffs the cavity of the bird, then sticks plenty of pats of butter on the skin of the bird - don't think it's under the skin, but will ask when he gets home. He covers the tips of the wings/legs with a small piece of foil so that they won't get done too quickly. Puts the bird on at whatever you normally cook the turkey and leaves it to cook. He does check on it regularly. If it is cooking too quickly (we think that the temp. may be faulty given the old age of the roaster), then he turns it down.

The roaster makes the most moist turkey. We always get compliments on how good and moist it is.
KathyD

Postby nonie » September 30th, 2015, 12:24 pm

Susan, I am glad you asked the question, a turkey roaster sounds like something i need.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby gmasuz1215 » September 30th, 2015, 2:27 pm

Thanks Kathy. I have done several different ways for turkey. The last couple of years I went for brining and roasting for a long time. The turkeys were just ok. So, I went back to my tried and true (from my fil) using heavy duty aluminum foil and roasting at 450^ for half the regular time and uncovering for the last half hour to brown. Perfect. So now I want to get the roaster out on the back porch. Do you roast the turkey at the 350^ temp for long hours or do you have a faster method. Love the short foil method. Do you think I could do that in the roaster? Thanks for helping. Susan VH
gmasuz1215

Postby KathyD » September 30th, 2015, 7:52 pm

We do the slow method. The foil covers the parts that cook quickly and then comes off at the the end to brown those areas up. It has always worked well for us. We also NEVER have enough of the stuffing. We make extra and bake it in the oven - but everyone wants the stuffing that was baked in the bird. The flavor and moisture is so different. So much better in the bird, no matter what we do to the extra stuffing. LOL!

Kathy
KathyD

Postby gmasuz1215 » October 1st, 2015, 2:36 pm

I know what you mean about the stuffing !!!!! I stuff the cavity and the neck to overflowing and still they want more. I do bake some and add the drippings from the bird with a little chicken broth to make it more like the other. Thanks for all the info. Susan VH
gmasuz1215

Postby NancyF » October 1st, 2015, 9:01 pm

I wind up making at least two aluminum foil trays of extra stuffing. I pour gravy all over it and stir it up and then bake it in the oven. I never have any left over. They love stuffing. I cook at least two big birds or one big bird and two breasts and I don't stuff any of them.
NancyF

Postby gmasuz1215 » November 19th, 2015, 4:01 pm

11lb, turkey stuffed in the oven tomorrow. Will save the breast meat and use the rest for my make ahead gravy. Ordered a Nesco roaster today. Hope it makes it here by Wednesday, I hope that everyone has a thankful Thanksgiving with those you love. Best holiday of the year.
gmasuz1215

Postby KathyD » November 19th, 2015, 4:55 pm

Can't wait to hear how you like the roaster! I have my 21 lb. turkey thawing in the fridge. It should be thawed by Thurs. am so that John can start cooking. LOL! I've already browned the sausage and made the gluten free stuffing cubes.

Kathy
KathyD

Postby gmasuz1215 » November 19th, 2015, 5:26 pm

My 21 lb turkey will be done in the roaster if it gets here in time, It is in the fridge now. I will do the rutabagas ahead but have never done the potatoes. Will check your recipe. I think you posted it under recipes last year. Since I have 6 kids and 4 adults to feed for four days any prep work is necessary. Happy Thanksgiving to you all and safe travels for those who will be on the road. Didn't find your recipe for mashed potatoes. Would you post it again? Please and thank you. Susan VH
gmasuz1215

Postby Hettielynn » November 19th, 2015, 8:40 pm

I think Nesco roasters are the best. I used to belong to a yahoo group for them. They had all kinds of information and tips. It may not be active any more.

My roaster is used for jambalaya and many other things. We always do party mix in it and it works great. This was Mike's idea a number of years ago. It worked so well that it is now the only way we do it.
Hettie Lynn
Hettielynn

Return to Recipes