More help!

Have a favorite recipe you would like to share?

More help!

Postby nonie » December 13th, 2014, 2:27 pm

You all had such good ideas for the kitchen baskets I will pick your brain again for the Christmas dinner. I think on Christmas day, we will do the prime rib. That will be for for 8 people. Then on the 26th, we will have the rest of the family, the ones that can not make it Christmas or Christmas eve because of other family obligations. That will number 16. I went with doing our extended family a day later rather then have to have people that can only stay an hour because they need to be someplace else. So---what is best for food? there will be little babies, so maybe finger foods? grazing?
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Re: More help!

Postby Rosieq » December 13th, 2014, 2:42 pm

Everyone will be stuffed from the day before so I would not go to another large meal.

Can I suggest a pot of chili and a lovely pan of Kraft macaroni and cheese just so everyone can have a choice. Most kids like Mac and cheese....but one of my DGSs pitched a fit one day because I had not made plain Kraft macaroni and cheese. Then finish it all out with finger foods, appetizers or whatever. And a try of cookies and candies for dessert.

I'm hoping to have left over prime rib for the big guys sandwiches on Friday. Our big meal will be Christmas afternoon, and of course our Christmas Eve is oyster stew and Chili. But, on the subject of prime rib, what do you serve with it. I'm thinking twice baked potatoes out of the freezer. Everything needs to be prepared by Friday night, this week, as we leave on Saturday for Colorado.
Life is a garden, Good friends are the flowers,
And times spent together, Life's happiest hours.....

http://pinterest.com/intherosegarden/
http://www.linda-thisnthatintherosegarden.blogspot.com/
Rosieq

Postby nonie » December 13th, 2014, 3:05 pm

Thank you Linda, I never thought of macaroni, that will be perfect especially with the little ones.
For the Christmas sit down dinner I will serve twice baked potatoes, with a cheese topping. I can never think of anything to go with prime rib. Yes, they do freeze well and really are easy.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby Bunbun5 » December 13th, 2014, 6:11 pm

I would do a ham, potato salad and all the fixins for a great sandwich, some super bread, nice mustards, pickles, etc.
Follow my sewing adventure at http://lasewist.blogspot.com/
"You get what you get and you don't get upset."...Carly Petersen
Bunbun5

Postby NancyF » December 13th, 2014, 7:56 pm

For company the day after Christmas I like to do something not time sensitive.

I have done Kielbasy and Sauerkraut along with macaroni and potato salad and baked beans. Sometimes I get a spiral ham and do that with the salads. When I have time ahead I do fried chicken cutlets. My butcher pounds the breasts super thin and I use Italian bread crumbs and fry them. Served cold or room temp they are the hands down favorite around here but I don't always have time to fry that many for the day after Christmas. I have also done meatballs and stuffed shells or some kind of baked pasta like baked ziti or lasagna all of which I can do ahead. I coordinate with my oldest daughter who does a nice dinner after Christmas eve Mass. We go to her house for that, so if she is doing Italian then I don't do it after.

Our after Christmas is for friends who see family on Christmas Day but these friends are like family.

Like you I do beef for Christmas day. We are sixteen just the immediate family so simple works best. My butcher does two big eye round roasts that he seasons for me so all I have to do is pop in the oven. One I cook rare for the guys and the other a little more done for those who like their meat cooked. Twice baked potatoes are easy because I can do them early.
NancyF

Postby gmasuz1215 » December 14th, 2014, 6:43 pm

Nancy, I am planning my Dec 26th menu when my dds and dgc will all get together. Christmas day will be small with just one dd and dgc who live in town. Your menu sounds just like what we did when the kids were young and we lived in North Jersey most of our lives. My mil always had ham, potato salad and macaroni salad. Oh, and kielbasa too !!! Guess I'll get my Jersey on and plan the old menu. Oh, and I will have the apple, pumpkin and coconut custard pies. Wish I had time to make the nut and poppy seed kolache. The only thing missing will be the two scraggly Christmas trees my dfil bought and tied together to make his "magnificent" tree. You know how homely those trees were in the mid 60's. And he probably got the last two on the lot for a couple of dollars. You know, in the lot where they had a fire going in a barrel and strings of white light bulbs. I always loved it when it would start to snow on Christmas Eve and the littles pressed their noses against the storm door and then rushed to the telephones to call and see where Santa was. So much for my Christmases from the past. Maybe some of you would like to share with us what Christmas was like when your kids were little. The best of times. Merry Christmas everyone, Susan VH
gmasuz1215

Postby gmasuz1215 » December 14th, 2014, 6:48 pm

Nancy, again. I wanted to ask how you do your eye of round roasts. My mother made them but they were always dry and tough. What is your secret to a juicy, flavorful eye of round roast ? Susan VH
gmasuz1215

Postby grammynan » December 14th, 2014, 9:07 pm

Susan, my mom's eye roasts were phenomenal!!! She put it in a roasting pan and poured in 1 (for small roast) or 2 cans (for a larger roast ie. 5lbs.) of Campbells Beef Broth. Then she put fresh rosemary and thyme on the top of the roast. She put it in a 350 degree oven for 3 hrs. That's how I do it and it's awesome and I get rave reviews. Never dry! You use the drippings and leftover broth and make gravy. YUMMO!

Nancy
grammynan

Postby nana judy » December 14th, 2014, 9:17 pm

This year my plan is finger foods on Christmas Eve which is when we did our Christmas when the kids were growing up. We will have the 2 dtrs who live local and their families. I am not sure of Lu dley will come for Christmas but if she does it is always a fewdays to a week in the week after Chrustmas. When we have that meal I am thinking Italian then. I can do most of that ahead of time and freeze. I plan to make lasagne and pit in the freezer this week. I found a recioe for cavati i on Pinterest taht Ranfy and I like. I will make that and freeze it as well. Also I think I will just buy the frizen meatballs and put in the slow cooker with marinara sauce and have buns and grated mizzerella to go with to make meatball subs if anyone wants that.we will have salad abd bread too of course.

I have never cooked prime rib but I would think potatoes--either twice baked or maskedpotatoes, green beans,corn and salad would make a god meal for me. Now, I'm hungry.. Lol
nana judy

Postby NancyF » December 16th, 2014, 7:13 pm

My secret to the eye round roasts is to undercook them. They really do keep cooking after you take them out. I do them till the thermometer reads rare. Sometimes I even take one out before it reads rare. My oven has this thermometer that plugs into the inside of the oven and you tell it what temperature you want the meat and it turns off the oven when it hits the right internal temperature. But, for these roasts you need to get it out of the oven right away.

My butcher from my hometown always wraps a layer of fat around the roasts and seasons them with garlic, salt and pepper and a little onion seasoning. DH didn't feel like driving all the way back to where we used to live so we bought two roasts locally. I will season them but I don't think they are going to be as good.

Susan, where did you live in North Jersey? We used to live further north till we retired to Monmouth County. My MIL was Polish so I think I picked up those food choices from her. I do the Kielbasy the easiest way and it comes out so good. I put a big bag of sauerkraut with all the juice in an aluminum tray and then slice the kielbasy up the slanted way and just mix it all together. I put aluminum on top of the pan and seal it fairly tight and then put in the oven for about half hour or so. It tastes so good and isn't time sensitive.
Our local supermarket gets bread delivered from Brooklyn every day. There is just something about bread from Brooklyn. We get the best Rye Bread for the ham and kielbasy and when we need it the Italian bread is perfect.

The thing I miss at the holidays is my MILs crusciki (spelled wrong). My MIL made the best ones I ever had. She died without ever giving any of us the recipe. She did not share recipes, ever. And if pressed she left out ingredients. When I cleaned out her house we went through every single book and paper looking for the recipe. My niece said she was there one day when Gma was making them and she did have the recipe on a piece of paper with handwriting. Sad, because now the next generation will never know them or the nut roll and poppy seed roll that she made. I have been writing notes all over my recipes detailing changes that I made to the written recipe and telling what brands I use to make them. I want my food to carry on to the next generation.

This thread is making me hungry.

Nancy F
NancyF

Postby gmasuz1215 » December 18th, 2014, 11:40 am

Nancy F, I grew up in Totowa Boro, married lived in Wayne 13 yrs, then moved to Kinnelon. Moved to FL in 1991. Neighbor in Wayne always got us handmade kielbasa and pierogies for the holidays. Somewhere in Wallington or Lodi?? It was a very Polish neighborhood with a little store right on the corner of the residential neighborhood. My mil made the nut and poppyseed rolls we called kolache. Got the nuts and poppyseed from a shop in Paterson where they ground the nuts and poppyseeds. I can make them but they aren't as good as mil's. Your eye round sounds delish. Maybe I can get the butcher to give me some beef fat so I can try it. For the others who read this post, you probably have more information than you would like. Thanks for being kind. LOL
gmasuz1215

Postby Rosieq » December 18th, 2014, 9:07 pm

Oh, to have a kolache, I don't know anyone that makes them like Mrs Kopacek did for all the bake sales her kids (numbering 11) were involved in high school. Whose food was always gone first? I don't even see kola he's at the Farmers Market in Des Moines...lots of Baklava and other Greek foods, but no Bohemian Kolaches. :(

My mother didn't have a nationality, and the Germans did not bring their country with them when they came to the US, so,I don't have food traditions....but oofta, those Norwegians I married into....and it was worse for the son to marry a German girl, than for his brother to marry a Hispanic....whew, Gloria and I had some MIL struggles. We eventually won her over, but not her recipes! :D :D

Linda
Life is a garden, Good friends are the flowers,
And times spent together, Life's happiest hours.....

http://pinterest.com/intherosegarden/
http://www.linda-thisnthatintherosegarden.blogspot.com/
Rosieq

Return to Recipes