sesame seed cookies

Have a favorite recipe you would like to share?

sesame seed cookies

Postby gmasuz1215 » December 13th, 2013, 8:10 am

Toasted Sesame Cookies

Skillet toasting the sesame seeds first
brings out their nutty flavor

2 2 1/2 ounce jars sesame seeds (about 1 cup)

2 cups all purpose flour

3/4 cup sugar

1/2 cup butter or margarine (one stick), softened

2 tablespoons water

1 teaspoon double acting baking powder

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 egg

In 10-inch skillet over medium heat, toast sesame seeds until golden, shaking skillet and stirring frequently. Remove skillet from heat and set aside.
Into large bowl, measure flour and remaining ingredients. With mixer at low speed, beat ingredients until well blended, occasionally scraping bowl with rubber spatula. With wooden spoon, stir in 1/2 cup toasted sesame seeds.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Shape 2 teaspoonfuls dough at a time into 2 inch long ovals. Roll ovals in remaining sesame seeds.
]Place ovals about 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake cookies 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove cookies to wire racks to coll. Store cookies in tightly covered container to use up within 1 week. Makes about 3 dozen cookies 85 calories per cookie.

This recipe was in Good Housekeeping Dec 1983. I have made them every year since then. I buy the sesame seeds from the nice lady at the Publix bakery. She weighs them out and they are much less expensive than the jars. Same for poppy seeds for my kolache.

Edited to add: Roll ovals in remaining sesame seeds.
Last edited by gmasuz1215 on December 20th, 2013, 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
gmasuz1215

Re: sesame seed cookies

Postby Rettabug » December 13th, 2013, 12:15 pm

These sound yummy & must be good, if you make them every year, Sue.

I MISS PUBLIX!!!! :cry: :cry: they always had the best of items...I would KILL for a case of their store brand green beans! I tried TWICE to bring home a case the last 2 times we were in FL. Each time, they screwed up the order & we had to leave before it was delivered. I wonder if I can get them to deliver to Ohio???
Rettabug

Postby Rosieq » December 13th, 2013, 1:46 pm

Public should write the book on customer care and courtesy. Great foods, the breads are sooooo good, however I have fallen in love with Costcos. The fruit and veggies could not be fresher...and, would you believe Publix closed at 7 pm on Wednesday and remained closed on Thanksgiving day. Our Fareway chain closes on Sundays and Holidays. Be kind to the employees, they in turn are nice to us!
Life is a garden, Good friends are the flowers,
And times spent together, Life's happiest hours.....

http://pinterest.com/intherosegarden/
http://www.linda-thisnthatintherosegarden.blogspot.com/
Rosieq

Postby gmasuz1215 » December 13th, 2013, 3:54 pm

Rhett, If Publix cannot deliver I can. Check out the postage. I can buy them when they are bogo. I know what it is like to miss my favorite foods from home. I do business with Publix because of their great customer service, clean store and Christian ownership. I will not shop on Thanksgiving, Christmas or Easter. Susan VH
gmasuz1215

Return to Recipes