Make Ahead Company Mashed Potatoes

Have a favorite recipe you would like to share?

Make Ahead Company Mashed Potatoes

Postby Rettabug » November 2nd, 2013, 8:41 am

for 6 servings:

6 med. size potatoes
1 Cup sour cream
1 3oz pkg. cream cheese
1/4 Cup butter for the top

Peel & dice potatoes. Cook in salted water until a fork easily pierces the potatoes, drain & mash over low heat.
DO NOT USE A MIXER...it will make the potatoes gummy!

Mix cream cheese with sour cream & add to mashed potatoes.
Add salt & pepper to taste. I find potatoes need a lot of salt! (sometimes I use Lawry's Seasoned Salt)
Place into a 2 qt. casserole. Dot with butter. Bake for 30 mins at 350º.
These can be made ahead of time, refrigerated but must bake for 1 hour after they've been in the cold refrigerator.

I double the amt. of potatoes for Thanksgiving but I don't double all the other ingredients! That would be waaay too much fat.
I get them all mixed the day BEFORE Turkey Day & place them into the removable liner that goes inside my crockpot. Cover & store in the fridge until Thanksgiving day & then I warm them slowly in the crockpot, usually at least an hour before company arrives. Stir occasionally if they appear to be sticking to the sides or browning. You can then turn them down to very low or 'buffet' setting & they will keep nicely.

I almost always add some sour cream &/or cream cheese to ANY mashed potatoes I make now, as we like the flavor. I've even substituted French Onion dip on occasion & added chives to them, for something different. NOT ON THANKSGIVING, though....Heaven forbid!! :rotflo:

By the way, Pioneer Woman has a very similar recipe on her site for make ahead potatoes but she uses 1/2 & 1/2 instead of sour cream.
You can go read about her method here:

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/11/delicious_creamy_mashed_potatoes/

Try making up a batch of this type before the holiday & see how much more you will like them! They're creamy & not dry like sometimes happens.
Rettabug

Re: Make Ahead Company Mashed Potatoes

Postby Jenny Jo » November 2nd, 2013, 9:12 am

I really like the idea of incorporating the crock pot. And the making ahead. I think I may give this recipe a spin, Rett! Thank you!
Jenny Jo
Jenny Jo

Postby Rettabug » November 2nd, 2013, 9:28 am

I am positive you will love it, JJ. If the amt. of fat bothers anyone, you can certainly cut back on any one of the ingredients & perhaps substitute lower fat milk instead for the moisture. The trick is to have them creamy before you try to reheat them, so they don't dry out. The flavor is not much different than plain old regular mashed potatoes, really. (unless you get adventuresome & use the chip dip, like me) :bigsmile:

Make some soon, so you'll know if you like doing it this way. It is nice to have mashed potatoes all ready hot & ready to eat in the crockpot when you get home from church & you're ready to serve up a roast beef Sunday dinner. My Mom always put an English pot roast in the oven before we left for church. The house smelled soooo good when we walked in the door, but who wants to wait till she peeled, cooked & mashed potatoes?
Rettabug

Postby Jenny Jo » November 28th, 2013, 9:16 pm

Made 'em. LOVED 'EM! Thank you so much for the recipe!
Jenny Jo
Jenny Jo

Postby Rettabug » November 29th, 2013, 12:24 am

I am SOOOOO glad they were a hit at your house, JJ! We devoured a 10# bag of potatoes that just about filled my crockpot & what wasn't eaten on Thaksgiving, my 12 yr. old grandson asked if they could take home for tomorrow. He LOVES mashed potatoes!
Rettabug

Return to Recipes