Clay's Dressing

Have a favorite recipe you would like to share?

Clay's Dressing

Postby ShirleyC » November 12th, 2017, 3:02 pm

This is what he uses for a huge roaster full:

One nice size hen, or one fat chicken. We boil ours in the oven because it makes the meat more tender, and the sauce rich. Salt, pepper, and 2 sticks of Parkay margarine. Cut up onions and celery and put in with the hen. If he can find the pre-cut cartons, he uses 2 or 3 each of those, but we had to cut them up yesterday. Just however many onions and celery you think you'll like. They will be mush. LOL

Let me add that Clay thinks the secret to his dressing is the Parkay! No other brand. :rotflo:

8 packs of yellow cornbread mix - he makes about 3 or 4 packs at a time. Then he crumbles it all up in the big roaster. We start pouring the broth in to mix up the cornbread, then add 2 sticks of melted Parkay. I add 8 eggs one at a time to be sure they're not ruined. Sometimes more salt and lots of pepper.
By the way, Clay doesn't put the meat in his dressing. He says it makes it dry. So we either serve it on the side, or I make chicken salad with it.
We bake it at 375 until it's fairly firm.
This recipe is for a big bunch - maybe 15-20. You can cut it in half for a smaller crowd.
Last edited by ShirleyC on November 13th, 2017, 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShirleyC

Re: Clay's Dressing

Postby Rosieq » November 12th, 2017, 6:09 pm

Yummy sounding. I like to cook my turkey ahead of time, then cook the carcass and all the skin to get a great broth, and use the drippings from baking the turkey as well. I use that in the gravy and the dressing...so now I will add the broth to the corn bread instead of boughten crumbs. I usually add some carrot, as well as your celery and onion to the carcass cooking.

Shirley, thank you so much for posting the recipe. Clay cooks like I was raised to.. I must not forget the eggs!

Linda
Life is a garden, Good friends are the flowers,
And times spent together, Life's happiest hours.....

http://pinterest.com/intherosegarden/
http://www.linda-thisnthatintherosegarden.blogspot.com/
Rosieq

Postby Karens Krafts » November 12th, 2017, 6:23 pm

One question here. What cornbread do you use? Mrs. White’s? Some of those mixes are just too Yankee
Karens Krafts

Postby ShirleyC » November 12th, 2017, 10:22 pm

Karen, the brand we use most is called Texas Style, but I doubt you'll be able to find that. He has used Gladiola also.
ShirleyC

Postby Rosieq » November 12th, 2017, 11:06 pm

Oh, my! Here I go asking to change the recipe...may I just make a couple pans from scratch?? We just have Betty Crocker or whoever recipes. Or would it be better to use my mixes from the restaurants. They are probably lighter....but maynget to mushy???

Karen, what is that term, to Yankee??
Life is a garden, Good friends are the flowers,
And times spent together, Life's happiest hours.....

http://pinterest.com/intherosegarden/
http://www.linda-thisnthatintherosegarden.blogspot.com/
Rosieq

Postby Karens Krafts » November 13th, 2017, 12:19 am

Yankee cornbread is sweet. At least too sweet for me. Tastes like cake not bread
Karens Krafts

Postby nonie » November 16th, 2017, 2:51 pm

I am so there, what time is supper???
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Return to Recipes