chicken corn chowder

Have a favorite recipe you would like to share?

chicken corn chowder

Postby gmasuz1215 » February 21st, 2017, 4:54 pm

Chicken Corn Chowder (my revised recipe)
Yield: 15 (1 cup) servings
Ingredients:
• 8 slices center cut bacon ( optional. Just a topping. Not an ingredient in the soup.)
• 2 cups water
• 4 cups reduced sodium fat free chicken broth
• 1 lb uncooked boneless skinless chicken breasts (see # 5)
• 12 oz Russet potatoes, cubed (you can peel or not peel as long as you scrub!)
• ¾ cup sliced carrots
• ¾ cup chopped celery
• ½ cup flour
• ½ teaspoon black pepper
• ½ teaspoon salt
• ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 8 tablespoons (1 stick) of light butter (I use Land O’Lakes)
• 2 cups fat free half and half
• 2 (15 oz each) cans of corn, drained
• 1 (14.5 oz) can creamed corn
• 2 oz canned diced green chilies
• 2 scallions, sliced (optional, just for a topping)
Directions:
1. Cook the bacon according to package directions until crisp. Remove the bacon slices to a stack of paper towels to dry. Chop or crumble the bacon into small pieces and set aside.
2. Bring the water and chicken broth to a boil in a large pot or Dutch oven. Add the, potatoes, carrots and celery and reduce heat to a simmer. Cover the pot and simmer for 25-30 minutes until vegetables are cooked.
3. Mix together the flour, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper in a bowl until combined. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour a spoonful at a time to smoothly combine with the butter. Pour the half and half in a little at a time, stirring continuously with a whisk to allow the roux to combine with the cream. Continue whisking and adding half and half until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
4. Add the cream mixture into the soup pot and stir to combine. Add the canned and creamed corn and the diced chilies and stir. Bring the soup back to a simmer and simmer for 10 minutes or so to allow the soup to thicken and the flavors to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish each bowl of soup with sliced scallions and crumbled bacon when serving.
5. I bake boneless chicken breasts in oven 375^ for about 45 minutes. Rub with olive oil salt and pepper. Save the juices from the pan. Refrigerate breast until completely chilled. Dice into large chunks. Add to broth the last 15 minutes. You can also add the juices from the roasted chicken to the soup.

Served to friends yesterday as a welcome home for a friend out of rehab. Made a simple salad, rolls and watermelon and strawberries for dessert. They loved the soup so I guess it has been friends tested. They all wanted the recipe.
gmasuz1215

Re: chicken corn chowder

Postby nana judy » February 21st, 2017, 5:04 pm

Sue, thanks for posting. Sounds delicious and I plan to try it.
nana judy

Return to Recipes