Ugly Fabric

Want more information about a certain fabric? Or what fabric will work for certain projects.

Re: Ugly Fabric

Postby nonie » May 9th, 2008, 10:45 am

Could you share a picture of the fabric? I have heard of uses such as making bias, as just a small amout shows and fabric changes when cut on the bias. Aslo over dyeing to chance the colors. It just might be perfect for someone else, maybe you could trade for something you do like.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby Karens Krafts » May 9th, 2008, 12:03 pm

OH MY!!! I remember the "Ugly Fabric Contest" we had here. What fun that was! It was amazing what someone else could see made out of fabric we thought useless.
Could we get the photo's back up?? Maybe she'd see what others did with ugly fabric.
(For those of you not on the board at the time, someone drew names, and we sent that person our 'ugly' piece of fabric. They posted the completed item, and was voted on it as a contest) Karen
Karens Krafts

Postby nonie » May 9th, 2008, 1:38 pm

I have an idea. Lets do another ugly fabric contest. The fabric I sent was so bad, it didn't get sewn into anything, in fact the gals computer went out until after the contest. :rotflo: :rotflo: :rotflo: :rotflo:
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby nonie » May 9th, 2008, 1:54 pm

We would have the rules a little different and allow the use of some extra fabric.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby Karens Krafts » June 2nd, 2008, 6:38 pm

I've used the ribs on childrens socks to trellis around to match a dress. Same idea. Betty did the neck band on some onsies. I'm sure if there are ribs, it could turn a ugly piece into a show piece. Great idea Lainey! Karen
Karens Krafts

Postby Karens Krafts » June 3rd, 2008, 4:22 pm

Line shoe bags for Christmas gifts?? It certainly is 'different'. Bet someone comes along with a great idea. Being 100% polyester sure makes it a tough question.
I could also see this as a lining for a grey or black jacket. Karen
Karens Krafts

Postby nonie » June 3rd, 2008, 4:30 pm

I can see the bears as a boarder maybe even on the bottom of a top for kids. The next strip would be perfect for a set of towels. So as you can see I would take it apart. the colors are pretty and could be combined with some embroidery.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby Karens Krafts » June 4th, 2008, 4:20 pm

HIDE IT!!! HIDE IT!!! Put it as lining on things, but PLEASE ...................HIDE IT. Yes it is a bit U--y. Oh well, now that I've got that off my chest, I still think it would be nice for lining a jacket or bag.

Maybe it's time for another Ugly Fabric Contest??? Then you could send it to someone else and it would end up their project. :rotflo: :rotflo: :rotflo: Karen
Karens Krafts

Postby Barbara O. » September 9th, 2008, 10:25 am

o boy - that's ugly :sick: all right! Just put it in the garbage can under some really smelly garbage - the garbage man will never know. Then forget about it. :rotflo:
Barbara O.

Postby malin » November 12th, 2008, 1:12 pm

I vote for use it as lining or pockets that one cannot actually see?
Or, arrange a bad taste party, sew a weird dress out of it, and win the bad taste contest!

:)
A beginner at sewing. But I try my best!

makemePUNK- my very own sewing and crafts blog, with some punk and cool stuff!
malin

Postby minnie63 » November 13th, 2008, 6:05 pm

Bias tape is a wonderful idea, and so are dog beds. Like everyone else, I would use it in layers, bears for one thing, and other things with the rest. I've seen rugs made out of ugly material that turned out so good, you'd never know how ugly the fabric was. Oh, well, show us what you decide. :sewing:
Life is good.
minnie63

Postby angelap » January 6th, 2009, 6:02 pm

Sorry I'm late to the discussion, but for people out there who surf our forums for ideas, I'll put in my 2 cents worth. I use my uglies for making sample outfits to mail to out of town grandchildren that I sew for so my daughters can test the fit on the child for me before I cut out my Good fabric.
angelap

Postby Tonia » January 14th, 2009, 5:48 pm

I like it. I think it would look nice as accent pillows in a grey room or outside cushions. I think this would be a cute retro clothing piece. I would not hide it, I would show it off. But that is me.
Tonia

Postby sara08852 » February 16th, 2009, 7:07 am

Could you use it as basket liners? Most of it would be in the basket so as long as you put stuff in the basket, you won't see much of the fabric pattern.
sara08852

Postby RedAmbrosia » March 20th, 2009, 12:39 pm

If it wasn't made of poly I would volunteer to take it off your hands :lol: But I can't stand poly fabrics... I am morally and ethically opposed to them :roll:

I have a large, very large, piece of fabric I don't like too (it's cotton though). I use it for making pillows which get pretty covers. Might be a good sort of use for this fabric.

Or you could make it into a shirt for someone you don't like :x
Sara, of the Forgotten Lists, Queen of Late-Doing, Steward of the Dreaming, Keeper of the Crystalline Goal, Seeker of Truth in the Unaffected Self.
RedAmbrosia

Next

Return to Fabric Analysis