Craft vs. Apareal fabrics

Want more information about a certain fabric? Or what fabric will work for certain projects.

Craft vs. Apareal fabrics

Postby GamGam » November 2nd, 2007, 11:56 am

I'm curious as to the difference in these 2 classifications for material. I suppose that craft fabric is less durable, but does that just apply to the dye in the fabric? And what about quilting cotton, is it suitable for children's clothing? What do you use for children's garments? I am so limited by the lack of stores and the fact that my DIL does not iron anything. Any suggestions?
GamGam

Postby nonie » November 2nd, 2007, 12:11 pm

The only thing about quilting cotton for kids clothes is, it needs to be ironed. I have used it for everything, even smocking. My DD is not big on ironing and I make the kids clothes from cotton fabric so she went out and got a steamer. Just put the clothes on a hanger and steam them.

I am not sure about craft fabric. What I have seen is pieces of fake fur and quilting squares advertised as craft fabric.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby GamGam » November 2nd, 2007, 1:51 pm

Nonie, the steamer sounds like a great idea. There is a nice quilting shop in the area, I'll have to look there for fabric. Thanks for the tip.
GamGam

Postby GamGam » November 4th, 2007, 11:38 am

Niener, a great BIG thank you for your comments on fabrics, and your experience sewing for your DGD. You and Nonie's are always so helpful. and I really appreciate it. Your explanation about the dye procedure for home dec. fabrics must be the answer as to why the cheaper fabrics at places such as Walmart are not color fast. I also use mostly blends for sewing for my grandkids, but this really limits my selection locally.
GamGam

Return to Fabric Analysis