Walmart cottons

Want more information about a certain fabric? Or what fabric will work for certain projects.

Walmart cottons

Postby Goosegirl » October 29th, 2007, 8:20 pm

Hi Girls,
I know that Walmart fabric is pretty popular around here so I have a question.

I bought several different fabrics from the $1.00 and $2.00 tables and have made a few up. So far, the fabrics I have sewn up have all faded really quickly, and look old very fast. I am frustrated as I do not really want to put any more work into outfits with these fabrics if this is common.

So far the worst fading has been the red/white polka dot minnie mouse dress and a few of the Christmas prints. And the Christmas prints have just been preshrunk but not worn.

Any ideas? Is this common? Please help.

Thanks a bunch!
Goosegirl

Postby nonie » October 29th, 2007, 9:43 pm

I had the same problem with wal mart $1-$2 fabrics. Which for the prices is fine with me for play outfits. I don't care if they get paint on them. For dresses I want to smock or have for good I order fabric or watch for good sales.
nonie
Super Sewer
Super Sewer

Postby SewingForAll » October 29th, 2007, 9:52 pm

What about their Broadcloth and Batiste, does it hold up well?
SewingForAll

Postby HoltsSadie » October 30th, 2007, 7:00 am

Angie,
I have used some of their BC and batiste and it holds up pretty well, but not as well as the Imperial, IMO.
I noticed WM in Savannah has a ton of small gingham checks on the $1 table in lots of colors but it has a high poly content. Might be good for linings.
I also bought some solid broadcloths over there the other day and they were 100% cotton. Not good for those mommies who don't like to iron.

Sara
HoltsSadie

Postby Donna in MI » November 2nd, 2007, 5:42 am

I've always felt that most of the WalMart $1 and $2 cottons are "craft" fabrics rather than garment fabrics. Their broadcloth and batistes are pretty good though not the best. They are made by Springs. I must say, however, a bishop I made from their pink broadcloth has held up like iron!
Donna in MI

Postby flytootall » December 3rd, 2007, 6:00 pm

I have also gotten great brand-name fabrics on the $1.00 table. One thing I learned was that if you find a nice fabric on that table, you need to buy as much as you think you'll need, since it will be gone the next time you check. I have bought several entire bolts ($19-$29 for the whole bolt) when it is a fabric that sells for $8.99 at a quilt shop. Yes, Walmart does have them, but it's rare. It's really rare now that most of their stores have discontinued the fabric department.

Linda
flytootall

Postby Smockette » December 16th, 2007, 5:20 pm

Back when I worked in a fabric store we had customers coming in fairly often with a piece of fabric they had purchased at WM. We would have the same thing, but for more money. But when they pulled out the WM piece to ask us if we had it and you looked at it the thread count was much lower in the WM piece. There's a reason these things are cheap, ladies.

Bunny
Smockette

Postby GaGa » December 16th, 2007, 10:33 pm

I have come back to this twice trying to decide whether or not to post. I will confess, I am somewhat of a fabric snob. Most of the fabrics that I sew with comes from Heirloom shops. I do use some fabrics from Hobby Lobby and Hancock's for play clothes. I have found that while you might find similar prints at WM they are usually a lower thread count. I will have to say that many of the cute outfits that I see on here that are made from WM fabric, I have never seen that fabric in our WM, but then again I don't shop WM very much so it may have been there at one time. The bottom line for me is the way the fabric feels.
GaGa

Re: Walmart cottons

Postby Susancnw » July 21st, 2008, 10:30 pm

My mom owned a fabric store in Clear Lake Tx for some years. She carried the old stretch and sew fabrics and patterns and was starting to carry quilting cottons.

She'd have customers come in and complain that the garment didn't make up correctly and when she asked where they bought the fabric, half the time it was at WM...she'd tell them that she didn't guarantee the outcome of anything made with fabric from somewhere else. If they had bought the fabric from her, then she'd be able to look at it and see what was wrong, but otherwise people were on their own. She had some customers get really angry, but come one. If you bought a garment at Dillard's and the fit was wrong so you returned it to Macy's, do you think they'd care?

Years ago (Lord I sound old!) I bought fabric at Ben Franklin. It was hit or miss also, but I got some fabrics there that 20 years later, are still going strong. Some of them I used and send the smaller pieces to my mom and she used them in a quilt for my oldest daughter. My favorites there were Waverly florals and they have worn like iron.

I just wish I still had a stash. My stash at the moment consists of a pretty ugly colored 'minky' type of fabric. My daughter was a hamster for Alice in Wonderland (don't ask) and we thought about making it out of that, but it was going to be too much work for a 3 min role...so now I have about 3 yrds of this stuff that I might donate. It would probably make pretty good floor pillows...years ago I made the kids lovely ones out of faux red fox...expensive fabric, but I was never going to make a coat from it so....when we got rid of a sofa I snagged the pillows off the back and made floor pillows for the kids. Now that I think of it, the minky type might have come from WM...$1 or $2 table.

I miss good fabric stores. We have a JoAnne's in town, but half the store is crafts now (not that I don't like them). I think there is a pretty good sized JoAnne's in the next town (less than 10 miles from here to there). Cloth World closed and one of the quilt shops here in town (we only had 2) so I don't have much to choose from. Listen to me. I've not done much sewing since the early-mid 90s so....just bits here and there, although I seem to remember making my boys shorts in that time frame. My oldest daughter was the granddaughter that lived closest and that MIL had easy access to so I didn't have much chance to make her stuff. MIL bought it all and had so much fun doing it that I let her.
Susancnw

Return to Fabric Analysis